Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

Not to put too much stock in just one start, but what does everyone think about Locke and McPherson as potentially working their way into the rotation next year? Locke still walks too many and maybe McFear needs more seasoning but they both looked very good in their last starts. They were both getting into the low-mid 90s and each have pretty good breaking stuff.

Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:06 pm 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
Not to put too much stock in just one start, but what does everyone think about Locke and McPherson as potentially working their way into the rotation next year? Locke still walks too many and maybe McFear needs more seasoning but they both looked very good in their last starts. They were both getting into the low-mid 90s and each have pretty good breaking stuff.

I think McPherson is a #3-4 SP and would be the one I would focus on, he's ready to go now. His stuff plays up because of his excellent control.

I see Locke as more of a good #4,5 SP who will also rely on his excellent control (last night not withstanding).

Right now I think you count on AJ, Wandy at the top, then JMac gets every chance to recover. After that I'd have Karstens and one of these two guys. It seems like management may let Karstens walk and try and upgrade there. It wouldn't hurt to see what both guys can do before Cole and Taillon arrive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm 

I agree with Dopers on Mcpherson. To me Locke doesn't look like a major league pitcher. Of course it doesn't take much to be a #5 starter these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 pm 

Locke looked the best I have seen him last night. Despite the walks he went right after the hitters and was mostly around the plate with good stuff.

I think we should keep Karstens AND get help from outside. You never have too many good starters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm 

Locke might be a long relief spot starter guy but Mcpherson to me is our number 5 if we dont sign a vet.

Aj
Wanfy
Karestens
Jmac
Mcpherson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm 

I think Locke has looked a little bit better with each start. Looks more comfortable and confidant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 pm 

What's contract status and health status of Charlie Morton? I'd think he'd get a shot at a spot if healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:48 pm 

Morton is arbitration eligible and is projected to be back sometime mid-season. Expect him to be non-tendered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm 

I think Locke has pretty good stuff, he just is pitching in uncharted territory this late in the year. McPherson has even more upside. We need at least one of them to make the rotation next spring. Karstens could very well be non-tendered to save $4 million. We really need to sign a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and there are a bunch out there. Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren,and Shuan Marcum come to mind. AJ is getting old, so I don't think we cn count on him having another year like this year.
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 pm 

It's crazy not to count Burnett in the rotation. He has been our most consistent starter over the course of the season and is a 15 million dollar a year pitcher. He will be there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm 

Quote:
Jeff Karstens, like most of his Pittsburgh Pirate teammates, hasn't sprinted to the finish. He last started a game since August 31 and was scored upon in three straight relief outings before Monday.

General manager Neal Huntington seemed lukewarm about Karstens' chances of claiming a spot in the 2013 rotation, leaving Rob Biertempfel to speculate that the righthander is a candidate to be non-tendered.

Karstens, 5-4 with a 3.89 ERA in 15 starts, has one year of arbitration eligibility left and could be in line for a deal of about $4 million. With rookies Jeff Locke and Kyle McPherson expected to be in consideration for rotation spots next spring, Karstens is far from a guarantee.

via ESPN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
It's crazy not to count Burnett in the rotation. He has been our most consistent starter over the course of the season and is a 15 million dollar a year pitcher. He will be there.

I didn't say we couldn't count on him to be in the rotation, just that we can't expect another year like this year. Probably more like .500 IF he stays healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I think Locke has pretty good stuff, he just is pitching in uncharted territory this late in the year. McPherson has even more upside. We need at least one of them to make the rotation next spring. Karstens could very well be non-tendered to save $4 million. We really need to sign a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and there are a bunch out there. Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren,and Shuan Marcum come to mind. AJ is getting old, so I don't think we cn count on him having another year like this year.
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson

We already got rejected from Edwin I dont think we go down that road. 4 mill will not get a much better pitcher than what we know were will get from Karestens plus Cole is projected to be in the bigs buy next July. See if Karestens would sign a 2 or 3 year deal at 3 mill a season and have him be the guy you can transition into the Pen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 am 

BigdaddyK wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson

We already got rejected from Edwin I dont think we go down that road. 4 mill will not get a much better pitcher than what we know were will get from Karestens plus Cole is projected to be in the bigs buy next July. See if Karestens would sign a 2 or 3 year deal at 3 mill a season and have him be the guy you can transition into the Pen

Jeff made 3.1 million this year. He's going into his last year of arbitration....I'd expect him to make around 4 next year.