Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 am
Posts: 478
Not to put too much stock in just one start, but what does everyone think about Locke and McPherson as potentially working their way into the rotation next year? Locke still walks too many and maybe McFear needs more seasoning but they both looked very good in their last starts. They were both getting into the low-mid 90s and each have pretty good breaking stuff.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
Not to put too much stock in just one start, but what does everyone think about Locke and McPherson as potentially working their way into the rotation next year? Locke still walks too many and maybe McFear needs more seasoning but they both looked very good in their last starts. They were both getting into the low-mid 90s and each have pretty good breaking stuff.


I think McPherson is a #3-4 SP and would be the one I would focus on, he's ready to go now. His stuff plays up because of his excellent control.

I see Locke as more of a good #4,5 SP who will also rely on his excellent control (last night not withstanding).

Right now I think you count on AJ, Wandy at the top, then JMac gets every chance to recover. After that I'd have Karstens and one of these two guys. It seems like management may let Karstens walk and try and upgrade there. It wouldn't hurt to see what both guys can do before Cole and Taillon arrive.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2151
I agree with Dopers on Mcpherson. To me Locke doesn't look like a major league pitcher. Of course it doesn't take much to be a #5 starter these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3575
Location: Economy, PA
Locke looked the best I have seen him last night. Despite the walks he went right after the hitters and was mostly around the plate with good stuff.

I think we should keep Karstens AND get help from outside. You never have too many good starters.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am
Posts: 69
Locke might be a long relief spot starter guy but Mcpherson to me is our number 5 if we dont sign a vet.

Aj
Wanfy
Karestens
Jmac
Mcpherson


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm
Posts: 792
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
I think Locke has looked a little bit better with each start. Looks more comfortable and confidant.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 491
What's contract status and health status of Charlie Morton? I'd think he'd get a shot at a spot if healthy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3575
Location: Economy, PA
Morton is arbitration eligible and is projected to be back sometime mid-season. Expect him to be non-tendered.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2451
I think Locke has pretty good stuff, he just is pitching in uncharted territory this late in the year. McPherson has even more upside. We need at least one of them to make the rotation next spring. Karstens could very well be non-tendered to save $4 million. We really need to sign a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and there are a bunch out there. Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren,and Shuan Marcum come to mind. AJ is getting old, so I don't think we cn count on him having another year like this year.
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3575
Location: Economy, PA
It's crazy not to count Burnett in the rotation. He has been our most consistent starter over the course of the season and is a 15 million dollar a year pitcher. He will be there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
Quote:
Jeff Karstens, like most of his Pittsburgh Pirate teammates, hasn't sprinted to the finish. He last started a game since August 31 and was scored upon in three straight relief outings before Monday.

General manager Neal Huntington seemed lukewarm about Karstens' chances of claiming a spot in the 2013 rotation, leaving Rob Biertempfel to speculate that the righthander is a candidate to be non-tendered.

Karstens, 5-4 with a 3.89 ERA in 15 starts, has one year of arbitration eligibility left and could be in line for a deal of about $4 million. With rookies Jeff Locke and Kyle McPherson expected to be in consideration for rotation spots next spring, Karstens is far from a guarantee.


via ESPN


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2451
Ralphie wrote:
It's crazy not to count Burnett in the rotation. He has been our most consistent starter over the course of the season and is a 15 million dollar a year pitcher. He will be there.


I didn't say we couldn't count on him to be in the rotation, just that we can't expect another year like this year. Probably more like .500 IF he stays healthy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am
Posts: 69
doug frobel wrote:
I think Locke has pretty good stuff, he just is pitching in uncharted territory this late in the year. McPherson has even more upside. We need at least one of them to make the rotation next spring. Karstens could very well be non-tendered to save $4 million. We really need to sign a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and there are a bunch out there. Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren,and Shuan Marcum come to mind. AJ is getting old, so I don't think we cn count on him having another year like this year.
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson



We already got rejected from Edwin I dont think we go down that road. 4 mill will not get a much better pitcher than what we know were will get from Karestens plus Cole is projected to be in the bigs buy next July. See if Karestens would sign a 2 or 3 year deal at 3 mill a season and have him be the guy you can transition into the Pen


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Locke and McPherson
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:51 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
BigdaddyK wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
I think Locke has pretty good stuff, he just is pitching in uncharted territory this late in the year. McPherson has even more upside. We need at least one of them to make the rotation next spring. Karstens could very well be non-tendered to save $4 million. We really need to sign a solid starting pitcher this offseason, and there are a bunch out there. Edwin Jackson, Dan Haren,and Shuan Marcum come to mind. AJ is getting old, so I don't think we cn count on him having another year like this year.
That leaves:

Free Agent
AJ
Wandy
JMac
Locke or McPherson



We already got rejected from Edwin I dont think we go down that road. 4 mill will not get a much better pitcher than what we know were will get from Karestens plus Cole is projected to be in the bigs buy next July. See if Karestens would sign a 2 or 3 year deal at 3 mill a season and have him be the guy you can transition into the Pen


Jeff made 3.1 million this year. He's going into his last year of arbitration....I'd expect him to make around 4 next year.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits