Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's we the fans who really care...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm 

...about the Pirates than the Pirates themselves. I know it's a business, but I've come to the conclusion that everyone associated with the Pirates including the players care only about one thing and that's the money. How big a paycheck can I get. How big a contract can I secure. How much profit can I amass.

This season might be the best we the fans can expect from this Pirate team unless drastic changes are made starting with a new owner with big bucks.

I really do not think all of this losing really matters to the players, coaches, and the front office as much as it matters to the fans. Fans who have been loyal to this Pirate team for years. Fans who live and die with this team. Especially during all of these terrible losing years we have endured.

The Pittsburgh Pirate fans are all that matter at this point with regards to keeping MLB alive in Pittsburgh.

And, as sad as it is, it's the Pittsburgh Pirate fans who are the victims in all of this mess.

We the fans are the ones who really care. I wish the Pirates and everyone involved with the Pirates would care as much.

Post subject: Re: It's we the fans who really care...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:36 pm 

I agree fully that in sports the fans care far more about the team than the players. In general. I've been a Bucs fan since the mid 70s, there is no way that any player on the team can care more about the Pirates than I do, and I'm a relatively casual fan. But why would any player really care? You've seen how fast fans can turn on a player. You've seen the vitriol heaped on players.

Witness this thread started here tonight: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10185

Used to just be sports radio, but now in the day of the tweet, the average player can be bombarded by hatred and invective. Now, Chipper Jones cares about Atlanta. He's probably a rarity these days, but you know, he knows that he could very easily have been traded if the price was right and there was not the absolute stability in the team management/front office over the years.

I disagree about the whole concept of winning. There are tons of guys out there who care about winning. These guys are competitive and they know who's got the rings. The problem comes down to the vast middle ground of players who play without ever having the opportunity of winning the title. And in the case of baseball, this is a long season and there are a lot of losses to go around, even if you're on a 100+ winner. Winning, and losing, are learned behaviors and we have learned the losing pretty well. Breaking an entire team, and in the case of a baseball program with it's multiple minor league clubs, of it's losing habits is hard. I haven't seen a team so bad that it couldn't be made worse.