Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, what can we expect in 2013?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 am 

Is this the best this Pirate team will get?

More of the same?

Maybe .500 next year?

Another collapse in August and September?

Players improved in 2012 so I hope there will be continued improvement. I also remain hopeful Starling Marte have a larger impact on the team's offense and defense.

I will remain hopeful that the areas that need shored up will be shored up over the Winter.

I will remain hopeful that 2013 will be a better year than 2012.

BUT, I've painfully learned that I will not get truly excited about this team unless they are playing much better beaseball STARTING in August and going into and including September.

And finally, I do know that this offense needs to drive in more runs in key situations with a balanced offensive attack. The Pirates are 4th in home runs and 22nd in runs scored. That's not going to cut it and that has been the biggest problem with this offense this year.

Post subject: Re: So, what can we expect in 2013?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 am 

i want to see better play heading into august and september not stopping in late July....

the problem is we try to find good deals and bargains that just dont work out, for example, we could have paid more for maholm but instead we were hoping to find lightning in a bottle with bedard and that failed. They are spending money in the draft and the DR but we need to get some sure things every now and again.

I do not want to see them sign a bunch of washed up players to contract this offseason, say no to the brian schneiders, kelly schoppachs casey kotchmans, and mark derosas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am 
 WWW  Profile

Below .500 unless they can fill C, 1B, SS, or RF with a $10-$15 million per year All-Star.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:29 am 

-Barmes will start at SS so I expect much of what we got from him this year. Low OBP and low BA with decent defense and that is all.

-Although I would hope Marte would improve in his second season in the pro's, I fear he will be forced to leadoff which I think will hurt his performance.

-Snider may, or may not, be a good corner OF with power. Time will tell. Unfortunately once again we will have a RF that has to grow on the job.

-Pitching staff will be much the same we have seen down the stretch with possibly the addition of Cole in June.

-If they bring back Rod Barajas or go with a platoon of McKenry & Sanchez I won't expect much impact from our C position.

-With Clint Hurdle as manager I will expect a lot of smiling and big grins and golly gee press conferences and interviews with mostly all the right things being said, all the while having him make quite a few boneheaded decisions costing games and having his loyalty to Barmes, and possibly Barajas, making everyone despise him.

Pretty much I expect this to be a middle of the road team and with having pretty much the same lineup, I will expect it to play well the first half only to fade in the second half.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 am 

marte-does not have anything locked up, needs to show consistency
snider-should have a job, needs to be healthy and disciplined at the plate
mccutchen-is fine, fell off a little bit but made great strides to be great
jones-could be traded at his highest value, would not mind either way, could be sanchez
walker-needs to stay healthy, could be an all star
alvarez-CONSISTENCY NEEDED, great when on play like jane when off, needs to improve there
barmes-just a little bit more offense, was not too bad in clutch situations, still average overall
a catcher-mcKennry can play 50 games but we need a guy for 100+, hopefully no rod barajas

bench- harrison, mckennry, pressley, tabata, sanchez if jones is still here

pitching could hurt us.
wandy-could be a guy we can lean on
burnett-needs to pitch like he did the first 3/4 of the year, he is a yr older
karstens, morton, mcpherson, mcdonald, locke,

bullpen
looked great first half, look horrid in late july until now...need some changes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Below .500 unless they can fill C, 1B, SS, or RF with a $10-$15 million per year All-Star.

Yeah, because most winning teams field AS players at every position. Come on, we saw this group get to 16 over. Growing pains. Next year we have Cole and Taillon on arrival.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Yeah, because most winning teams field AS players at every position. Come on, we saw this group get to 16 over. Growing pains. Next year we have Cole and Taillon on arrival.

I read it that way first but then when I read it again noticed the OR. He just wants one such player at any of those positions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

I didn't realize AJ had another year left on that contract. That's good. Even if he regresses, the guy is a workhorse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:33 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

I read it that way first but then when I read it again noticed the OR. He just wants one such player at any of those positions.

That makes more sense, I guess I was just too fired up over the ranting on DK's blog, it has turned into a Smizik-like crowd. Apologies IA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

No problem. I wrote it from my phone so it was exactly eloquently stated. Supercharged nailed it, give me one huge free agent and I don't care who we piece together in the other positions.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
No problem. I wrote it from my phone so it was exactly eloquently stated. Supercharged nailed it, give me one huge free agent and I don't care who we piece together in the other positions.

I'm of the same thinking. We need a true number 2 bat. Then Pedro and Neal become our third and fourth best hitters and each of them will get better pitches to hit. Problem is Pedro's too streaky and we'll fly high when he does well, but some other threat for those 100 games when he's not will take the load of McCutchen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Didn't see where he said we needed an all star at every position. Pretty sure he used the world OR and All-Star is singular. Considering Cutch is our only position player that is an existing all-star pretty sure he means we need another top notch player that won't come here and suck balls.

(Sorry Dopers....responded prior to seeing the rest of the thread :oops: )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 pm 

we need mlb to go on strike in august...that way we will finish the year with a winning record.....im kidding of course, sort of :D