Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Nutting did an interview with DK in the Trib today - the highlights -

Nutting was made aware of Coonelly's statement, but his name appeared nowhere on it. And it turns out there's a reason for that: He's not done.

He plans to begin an intensive investigation after the season.

"I believe this review must be done," Nutting said. "But I honestly believe it's best done with a clear head after the raw nerves of the season have passed. Good decisions and good results seldom come from emotional overreactions."

And the focus?

"Clearly, the management team needs to make changes in certain areas. It's obvious that status quo is not an acceptable option. However, I also feel strongly that we've made significant progress in many areas. And we all saw in the first half of the season the promise and excitement of that progress."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... z27lzgBcBy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1079
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Nutting did an interview with DK in the Trib today - the highlights -

Nutting was made aware of Coonelly's statement, but his name appeared nowhere on it. And it turns out there's a reason for that: He's not done.

He plans to begin an intensive investigation after the season.

"I believe this review must be done," Nutting said. "But I honestly believe it's best done with a clear head after the raw nerves of the season have passed. Good decisions and good results seldom come from emotional overreactions."

And the focus?

"Clearly, the management team needs to make changes in certain areas. It's obvious that status quo is not an acceptable option. However, I also feel strongly that we've made significant progress in many areas. And we all saw in the first half of the season the promise and excitement of that progress."

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... z27lzgBcBy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook


Good to hear that Dopers. Thanks for posting that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5509
Just spitballing here...

Manny Acta fired. NH has had Cleveland loyalties in the past.

Not that I approve it, but...

Any chance he gets a look?

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
Just spitballing here...

Manny Acta fired. NH has had Cleveland loyalties in the past.

Not that I approve it, but...

Any chance he gets a look?


Please Lord, no. His career .418 win % should be enough to scare teams off.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Just spitballing here...

Manny Acta fired. NH has had Cleveland loyalties in the past.

Not that I approve it, but...

Any chance he gets a look?


Please Lord, no. His career .418 win % should be enough to scare teams off.

That's entirely unfair. Acta has been the manager of a laughably bad Washington team and a mediocre Cleveland team. He can only do so much with the players he's given. Using Acta's winning percentage to judge his managerial skills is like using Joe Torre's pre-Yankees record to do the same. Acta should be judged by the moves he makes, not by the quality of the teams he has been provided.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Willton wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Just spitballing here...

Manny Acta fired. NH has had Cleveland loyalties in the past.

Not that I approve it, but...

Any chance he gets a look?


Please Lord, no. His career .418 win % should be enough to scare teams off.

That's entirely unfair. Acta has been the manager of a laughably bad Washington team and a mediocre Cleveland team. He can only do so much with the players he's given. Using Acta's winning percentage to judge his managerial skills is like using Joe Torre's pre-Yankees record to do the same. Acta should be judged by the moves he makes, not by the quality of the teams he has been provided.


Oh for F'sake Wilton. I didn't "judge" his ability based on win percentage. Do you really think I would be so simplistic? Remember the posts about respecting others here, geez.

I said hopefully his win % would scare teams away. There really is no reason to dig any further, the guy has been fired twice within 3 years of his hiring. Acta has a reputation as a shaky manager -
http://wahoosonfirst.com/2012/09/13/the ... anny-acta/

His team's have collapsed in back to back seasons, just like the Bucs.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Terry Francona would make for a great manager in Pittsburgh, his hometown.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ryann wrote:
Terry Francona would make for a great manager in Pittsburgh, his hometown.


I wouldn't disagree.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5509
Ryann wrote:
Terry Francona would make for a great manager in Pittsburgh, his hometown.


Agreed.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Hurdle were replaced by Francona.

However, I fear that's too big a dream.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 519
Willton wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Just spitballing here...

Manny Acta fired. NH has had Cleveland loyalties in the past.

Not that I approve it, but...

Any chance he gets a look?


Please Lord, no. His career .418 win % should be enough to scare teams off.

That's entirely unfair. Acta has been the manager of a laughably bad Washington team and a mediocre Cleveland team. He can only do so much with the players he's given. Using Acta's winning percentage to judge his managerial skills is like using Joe Torre's pre-Yankees record to do the same. Acta should be judged by the moves he makes, not by the quality of the teams he has been provided.


How was Joe Torre before he landed the managing job with the Yankees? He was a guy who one writer dubbed, "Clueless Joe." But, with the Yankees and an unlimted payroll, he reached the heights of success. A manager is only as good as his players.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:56 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm
Posts: 60
Glad Nutting will be evaluating. It'll be interesting to see if anyone under NH gets axed. I still think Hurdle, Stark, and Smith will be fair game. I gotta believe that NH will save himself and get another year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5119
Location: Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
Someone posted on Smizik's blog the winning percentages up to July 31 and after July 31 the last 5 years. I did not verify these numbers but they are striking:

2008 .463 .315
2009 .431 .304
2010 .350 .357
2011 .509 .321
2012 .573 .327

In three of those five years they traded everything away at the deadline that they could, so you'd expect bad second halves

Don't ask me what happened the last two years, though. I believe that they were play over their heads in the first halves, but that they were way better than they showed in the second.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5119
Location: Pittsburgh
Ryann wrote:
Terry Francona would make for a great manager in Pittsburgh, his hometown.

Screw the hometown boy crap. Why are Pittsburgher's so parochial?

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Management will remain intact....it's all on the players
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:34 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1079
sisyphus wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Terry Francona would make for a great manager in Pittsburgh, his hometown.

Screw the hometown boy crap. Why are Pittsburgher's so parochial?


I don't get that either. Like since he is from here he will be better.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LetsGoMarauders and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits