Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huntington Blames Slide on Bad Luck
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

"As we've tried to evaluate metrically how we've gotten here, you look at the numbers and we weren't supposed to be 16 games over .500. We should have been closer to eight (games), which is still progress. What's happened since Aug. 1, batting averages on balls in play have plummeted for our hitters and increased for our pitchers, especially with runners in scoring position. It doesn't mean it's bad luck, but ... yes, it means it's bad luck."

This guy is such a moron.

Post subject: Re: Huntington Blames Slide on Bad Luck
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
"As we've tried to evaluate metrically how we've gotten here, you look at the numbers and we weren't supposed to be 16 games over .500. We should have been closer to eight (games), which is still progress. What's happened since Aug. 1, batting averages on balls in play have plummeted for our hitters and increased for our pitchers, especially with runners in scoring position. It doesn't mean it's bad luck, but ... yes, it means it's bad luck."

And last year was bad luck too? What about the previous 18 years before that? And I suppose the 65% of the time Cutch gets out that is bad luck too? Pffffft.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 pm 

One bad week could be bad luck. Seven bad weeks is just bad baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:26 pm 

I blame it on Chase Headley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 pm 

Tried to evaluate metricly... :ugeek:

What a tool.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
Ryann wrote:

And last year was bad luck too? What about the previous 18 years before that? And I suppose the 65% of the time Cutch gets out that is bad luck too? Pffffft.

Last year was mostly a compound of injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 am 

I hear we won today. Too bad it doesn't matter anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:03 am 

bad luck? sounds like someone is trying to not shoulder the blame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 am 

Teams on a roll tend to make their own luck. So do teams that are collapsing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 pm 

The problem with blaming or crediting luck in baseball is the elements attributed to "luck" are the things that make baseball more than just Money Ball or sabermetrics. If you devalue "luck" in the game as Huntington is doing, you might as well just feed your statistics into a super computer in April and declare the World Series winner based on the output of a simulation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:45 pm 

On the Pirates site there is an article where he blames young players trying to do too much so they can stay in the show. What a crock. The oldest players on the team are the failures...other than Burnett.

Starks & NH need to go for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:26 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
One bad week could be bad luck. Seven bad weeks is just bad baseball.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:38 pm 

Let me say this. (Minus the stuff that he has said the past few days which sound like crazy talk). Is this really the GM's fault?

I mean he did do the following:

1. Put together a team that was 16 game over .500 in early August.
2. Improved the team at the trade deadline without selling the top prospects.
3. Traded a 28 year old career middle reliever for a 24 year potential power hitter that immediately got on base at a better clip than the RF he replaced.
4. Had the balls to select the top player in the draft and play chicken with Scott Boras and won. (Yes I know we didn't sign him but giving into Boras to me would have been a loss).

Is it the GM's fault that the pitching stopped pitching, the hitting stopped hitting? 3/4 of this season this team played outstanding, how is the GM responsible for the teams attitude that last 1/4 of the season?

Yes he signed Barajas and Barmes but Barmes has been hitting ok the 2nd half and has been hitting really well in September, so we can't put the blame on Clint for the collapse since during the collapse he hasn't sucked. Rod at the plate has been atrocious but our 2 best pitchers prefer him when they pitch so that has to tell you something, plus we were winning games with him batting 200.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Let me say this. (Minus the stuff that he has said the past few days which sound like crazy talk). Is this really the GM's fault?

3. Traded a 28 year old career middle reliever for a 24 year potential power hitter that immediately got on base at a better clip than the RF he replaced.
4. Had the balls to select the top player in the draft and play chicken with Scott Boras and won. (Yes I know we didn't sign him but giving into Boras to me would have been a loss).

Is it the GM's fault that the pitching stopped pitching, the hitting stopped hitting? 3/4 of this season this team played outstanding, how is the GM responsible for the teams attitude that last 1/4 of the season?

Yes he signed Barajas and Barmes but Barmes has been hitting ok the 2nd half and has been hitting really well in September, so we can't put the blame on Clint for the collapse since during the collapse he hasn't sucked. Rod at the plate has been atrocious but our 2 best pitchers prefer him when they pitch so that has to tell you something, plus we were winning games with him batting 200.

Yeah I know Rel, its fairly easy to say NH is not a bad GM, its harder to say he's a good GM. That's why I've been on the fence. I do fault him for the collapse, he built this team and hired its manager, its on him. Lack of talent is a system wide issue and NH certainly has deficiencies in some areas. For me it comes down to rolling on with an OK GM (who I think has improved over his tenure) or moving on with a new guy presumably hired to follow the same plan but with better execution. I won't be outraged if NH is kept, but his clock is ticking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm 

rellimie wrote:

I didn't know they gave out division titles, playoff appearances and World Series titles in August. Where do we buy our "16 games over .500 in early August" t-shirts?

Seriously, all that matters is where the team ends up.

rellimie wrote:

Really? He made a couple of moves, but according to numerous sources he could have picked up Chase Headley -- now THAT could have made a huge difference for the team.

rellimie wrote:

Where's the power, my friend? I see a lot of ground balls from Snider, and not a lot of loft to his swing. He certainly doesn't look like a regular, and he's spent a good deal of time riding the pine because of hamstring issues. That move is, at best, a wash for the 2012 season and a risk going forward.

rellimie wrote:

Huh? What did the Pirates "win"? Nothing more than the 9th overall selection in the 2013 draft. I'd rather have a talented player with a year in the Pirates' system. And I'd rather have seen the Pirates select a few more lesser talents in the first 11 rounds and get Appel to sign for more money. Adding another elite pitcher and potential ace to the system is worth that, in my view. Appel is currently ranked the #1 prospect going into the 2013 draft.

rellimie wrote:

The GM is responsible for the whole, not the parts. And the whole -- at the end of the season -- is likely to be the same as it has been for every other season of the last 20. Losing record and no playoffs.

rellimie wrote:
Yes he signed Barajas and Barmes but Barmes has been hitting ok the 2nd half and has been hitting really well in September, so we can't put the blame on Clint for the collapse since during the collapse he hasn't sucked.

The fact that you're defending the acquisition of Clint Barmes -- at 2 years and $10.5 million -- is utterly ridiculous. It's an awful contract and a waste of money.

rellimie wrote:
Rod at the plate has been atrocious but our 2 best pitchers prefer him when they pitch so that has to tell you something, plus we were winning games with him batting 200.

That's not an endorsement of Rod's ability; it's a credit to the other players on the team. Barajas wasn't worth his contract, either.

List all of Neal Huntington's major league (or close to major league) acquisitions and tell me if you're happy... I can wait.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:14 pm 

Quick addendum on Travis Snider:

Here's the "masher's" triple slash line with the Bucs -- .248/.323/.333. That ain't good, folks. He's got 7 extra-base hits in 43 games. I don't see a future home run king, particularly given his penchant for pounding the ball into the dirt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:21 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Here's the "masher's" triple slash line with the Bucs -- .248/.323/.333. That ain't good, folks. He's got 7 extra-base hits in 43 games. I don't see a future home run king, particularly given his penchant for pounding the ball into the dirt.

As we discussed elsewhere, he was never a ground ball guy before coming here. He's either hurting or they are trying something different with his swing. This staff has such a great track record of getting the most out of players. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:24 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

As we discussed elsewhere, he was never a ground ball guy before coming here. He's either hurting or they are trying something different with his swing. This staff has such a great track record of getting the most out of players. :roll:

Good use of emoticon.

I'm just going by what I've seen. I know he hit more fly balls in Toronto. Coincidentally (or not), he also struck out more often in Canada. Maybe it's the cleaner water.

I don't see Travis Snider as a regular starter. That's my point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:42 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Yeah I know Rel, its fairly easy to say NH is not a bad GM, its harder to say he's a good GM. That's why I've been on the fence. I do fault him for the collapse, he built this team and hired its manager, its on him. Lack of talent is a system wide issue and NH certainly has deficiencies in some areas. For me it comes down to rolling on with an OK GM (who I think has improved over his tenure) or moving on with a new guy presumably hired to follow the same plan but with better execution. I won't be outraged if NH is kept, but his clock is ticking.

I'm not trying to defend everything he has done. I also consider him ok, not great but not bad.

My only concern is who replaces him.

I would only want to see 1 of 3 options:

1. Established GM who has done it before.
2. Anyone from the Cardnials system.
3. Anyone from the Rays system.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm 

I guess my question regarding NH is how long do you give him? He is the one ultimately accountable. He has had 5 yrs now and has yet to produce a winner. Pirate fans don't expect a lot. We don't ask for Championships or even divisional crowns. All we want is a .500 plus season and possibly a wild card bid for now.

Those aren't unreason expectations for any fan base. So how long should he get to meet them?