Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clarity on jumping ship....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:45 am 

Gentlemen (you know who you are):
I think it is important to differentiate between abandoning this ship (the board) and abandoning being a Pirate fan. Believe it or not, they are not prerequisites of each other.

AZ never mentioned giving up on the Pirates, he gave up on this board, and I understand it perfectly. For those of us who have been around this board and it's predecessors, there is certainly a different tone here than in the past. There was more comradarie, more civility (with some notable exceptions), it was more like hanging out in a bar with your buddies and having a give and take discussion. There was lively debate, to be sure, but not so much the "brow-beating, must win the point, drive my opponent in the ground until he pleads guilty" mentality.

I have shared stories of our children's progression from Little League to college with AZ....he sent one of my ailing players a signed shirt from his LL team....I am excited to hear of his son's progression as much as I am about what the Pirates did. I have shared games with BBF and Judge; Ralphie sent me a tape of a broadcast I had to miss last year while my wife was having major surgery. These people are more than posters to me...it's more personal than that, and that is lacking here more than it ever did in the past. We don't all have to hold hands and sing Kum-ba-yah, but we need civility and respect.

In other words, the severe turn in the Pirate's season notwithstanding, this board needs to get back to Bertie's mantra.

Post subject: Re: Clarity on jumping ship....
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Cheers to that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:44 pm 

This board is only part of your imagination. It isn't real.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

been a pirates fans since the days of parker, stargell, candelaria and tekulve. never abandoned ship. just tired of uninspired play and losing. im just taking a break right now. still love my buccos.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 pm 

I'm only old enough to remember the worst sports franchise in all of sports history. I'm sticking with the bucs, until the day I die.