Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
Rochester wrote:
Wonder how that got out. All organizations do motivational stuff in their emails, internally. This one is a little over the top. It's also only 1 piece of evidence in what is seemingly a long list of organizational failures in player development.

In and of itself, this seems rather, well, lame. It's only really damning, though, if this is the only level of communication he has with coaches/staff. I personally don't buy the whole band of brothers thing in any sport. It's not war, or biker gangs, it's just a game. A serious one, but still a game. I'd love to know what sort of emails he's sent out regarding taking a first strike, for instance...

Agreed.

And you didn't credit me for your signature quote.... :P There's a lot of lawyers on this board I can talk to about that.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I was so quick to charge you with plagiarism that forgot to make my point...

The only, ONLY thing that I care about is on field performance, and assuring off field lifestyle doesn't negatively impact it.

If we were winning baseball games with a stable of home grown world beaters and smart ball players, Stark could use My little Pony and Care Bear analogies for all I care. In light of our development history though, even recently, he better stick to fundamentals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm 

I don't need to know anything more about Kyle Stark. Just from reading that email, he is a douchebag.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm 

This is unreal what the hell is wrong with this organization!
Where was the hells angels like team unity at when aroldis chapman plunked cutch earlier in the year!??!?!?
Maybe the navy seal training was to prepare the team to shoot the skeets at the greedy nutting charity events?
The only pirate who should have had the navy seal workouts is Rod Barajas so he would be inshape to play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
For those caught up here, take a look at this internal email from Kyle Stark in June-

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... ark-email/

DK has been banging on Stark's methods for a few weeks now and he is bringing up some serious issues with the approach of our player development Asst GM. Like I said last week, I've heard others mention concern over how we are doing things prior to DK's recent work.

I'm pretty confident that I could eviscerate just about anyone in management at about any business if I had unfettered access to every e-mail that he or she sent and had the opportunity to skewer them by citing a select e-mail. It would be even easier if I had someone parsing through the emails for me.

Not saying that I'd author an email of this tone or draw those same analogies but . . . I'd like to think that I can interpret what he's trying to communicate with this email and, when you focus on the ultimate theme as opposed to the method of delivery . . . its not the lunacy that it is portrayed to be.

Are they doing a good job of developing younger players? Hard to tell. McCutchen came up through the system. Walker came up through the system. Alvarez came up through the system. Marte came up through the system. Others who have struggled at the big league level have been acquired from other systems. I can also point to failures within the system as well.

I'm not going to reach any conclusion regarding a particular management style unless I have a much larger body of work to examine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

I could care less about the email, although clearly Stark comes off as a raging idiot. But they stink at their jobs. As I said in other threads, I think these guys all get canned as well as some scouts.

They are horrible at development. And yes, Cutch came through the system. He is not fundamentally sound, he just has superior talent. He is a poor base runner, throws to wrong bases, etc. I'd actually say he is a prime example of how bad they teach the game at the lower levels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:

I'm pretty confident that I could eviscerate just about anyone in management at about any business if I had unfettered access to every e-mail that he or she sent and had the opportunity to skewer them by citing a select e-mail. It would be even easier if I had someone parsing through the emails for me.

While this particular one is way out there, that is a very fair point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm 

Not me. I'm very careful about every email I write. And I write emails all day long.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I think the SEAL training is much ado about nothing, 3 days of non-baseball activity out of 5 weeks of instructionals. DK fails to mention that a number of other athletic teams (some of them not laughingstocks) also use it.

I have no problem with the SEAL training. I don't think it will do a damn thing, but I have no problem with it.

I DO have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no slide step or pickoff move. I have a problem with guys who don't know how to steal a base even though they have blazing speed. I have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no idea how to lay down a bunt. I don't much care for outfielders who have no idea what base they should throw to, and guys who think it's okay to break from second to third on ground balls hit in front of them. So go right ahead with the SEAL training, right after every player in the organization has mastered fundamental baseball skills.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I think the SEAL training is much ado about nothing, 3 days of non-baseball activity out of 5 weeks of instructionals. DK fails to mention that a number of other athletic teams (some of them not laughingstocks) also use it.

I have no problem with the SEAL training. I don't think it will do a damn thing, but I have no problem with it.

I DO have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no slide step or pickoff move. I have a problem with guys who don't know how to steal a base even though they have blazing speed. I have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no idea how to lay down a bunt. I don't much care for outfielders who have no idea what base they should throw to, and guys who think it's okay to break from second to third on ground balls hit in front of them. So go right ahead with the SEAL training, right after every player in the organization has mastered fundamental baseball skills.

This, repeated for emphasis. How many games have we lost this season because of poor fundamentals? Enough to be in a far better position in the wild card race, I bet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Exactly. It really is a disgrace.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm 

Quote:
Dream like a Hippie

...Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think we've discovered the crux of the second half swoons...

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 pm 

Now I know what happened to James MacDonald in the second half of the season. I have obtained exclusive video of him after a Pirates staff member forward a copy of Stark's email to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0 ... ata_player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 am 

MoTownWV wrote:
Now I know what happened to James MacDonald in the second half of the season. I have obtained exclusive video of him after a Pirates staff member forward a copy of Stark's email to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZwJiK0 ... ata_player

Someone must have harshed his buzz.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 am 

Now that Yahoo, Deadspin, and HuffPo picked this up we are officially a laughing stock again. Thank you KS and NH. Someone is getting fired.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 pm 

Stark is gone for sure. NH probably should go for letting Stark get so far removed from Development 101. I still believe the talent will play and we can turn this around without too much damage, but we CANNOT continue down this same path. If Stark's methods were in addition to fundamentals, it wouldn't be so much of a story. But this nuttiness is obviously INSTEAD of fundamentals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Now that Yahoo, Deadspin, and HuffPo picked this up we are officially a laughing stock again. Thank you KS and NH. Someone is getting fired.

I just said this to a buddy two nights ago...I said no matter how hard they try, they continue to be a laughingstock. Really a shame that this was allowed to go on. I liked the one responder on DK's blog who said a former Pirate, who was always invited to spring training wanted a coaching job. He was sent to Stark. After telling him he was a former player and coach Stark replied, without looking up from his computer, that he had never heard of him. The former player apparently pointed to the wall behind Stark and said...that's me right there. Ha...unreal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:03 am 

There's a difference between writing a stupid email, and writing an email that a reasonable person is incapable of writing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

The Pirates' play might have something to do with that, too.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.