Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
For those caught up here, take a look at this internal email from Kyle Stark in June-

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... ark-email/

DK has been banging on Stark's methods for a few weeks now and he is bringing up some serious issues with the approach of our player development Asst GM. Like I said last week, I've heard others mention concern over how we are doing things prior to DK's recent work.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: A Pond or Lake Near You
Wonder how that got out. All organizations do motivational stuff in their emails, internally. This one is a little over the top. It's also only 1 piece of evidence in what is seemingly a long list of organizational failures in player development.

_________________
Kevin
Sensorcon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2445
Geez, no wonder our kids come up to MLB not being able to recognize pitches, use a slide step to slow the running game, hit the cut off man, or run the bases wisely. We're trying to make Hell's Angels out of them. It's not that f'ing complicated, Kyle. Just adopt a philosophy of how you want to play the game, and endoctrinate them with it, from the top of the system to the bottom.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Yeah DK is using it as ammo in his Navy SEALS attack. Here is his full column today.

http://triblive.com/sports/2626947-74/s ... z26fuUv8vo

He's basically saying that they are approving nutty stuff like this and the players arrive woefully under skilled in fundamentals. I can't argue with that, look at Marte getting caught going to 3rd yesterday.

At the least Stark has to be canned. I think NH goes for allowing this stuff to go on. I don't think Bob Nutting will be happy with the weird development of his $40 million in draft and Latin America investment.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
I think the SEAL training is much ado about nothing, 3 days of non-baseball activity out of 5 weeks of instructionals. DK fails to mention that a number of other athletic teams (some of them not laughingstocks) also use it.

Stark's email, though, is kind of mind-blowing. It reminds me of this Mr. Show sketch:

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4962
Location: Washington, DC
Stark is an embarrassment. I fervently hope he gets canned.

Greg Smith may not be far behind...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2445
How long has Stark been with the organization? Through several regimes, I think. And we have consistently stunk at player development the whole time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
doug frobel wrote:
How long has Stark been with the organization? Through several regimes, I think. And we have consistently stunk at player development the whole time.


No he is pretty young, he came with NH from the Tribe with little experience.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2445
Maybe I'm thinking of Greg Smith...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1385
Location: Eastern Shore
Rochester wrote:
Wonder how that got out. All organizations do motivational stuff in their emails, internally. This one is a little over the top. It's also only 1 piece of evidence in what is seemingly a long list of organizational failures in player development.

In and of itself, this seems rather, well, lame. It's only really damning, though, if this is the only level of communication he has with coaches/staff. I personally don't buy the whole band of brothers thing in any sport. It's not war, or biker gangs, it's just a game. A serious one, but still a game. I'd love to know what sort of emails he's sent out regarding taking a first strike, for instance...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: A Pond or Lake Near You
val wrote:
Rochester wrote:
Wonder how that got out. All organizations do motivational stuff in their emails, internally. This one is a little over the top. It's also only 1 piece of evidence in what is seemingly a long list of organizational failures in player development.

In and of itself, this seems rather, well, lame. It's only really damning, though, if this is the only level of communication he has with coaches/staff. I personally don't buy the whole band of brothers thing in any sport. It's not war, or biker gangs, it's just a game. A serious one, but still a game. I'd love to know what sort of emails he's sent out regarding taking a first strike, for instance...


Agreed.

And you didn't credit me for your signature quote.... :P There's a lot of lawyers on this board I can talk to about that.... :lol:

_________________
Kevin
Sensorcon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: A Pond or Lake Near You
I was so quick to charge you with plagiarism that forgot to make my point...

The only, ONLY thing that I care about is on field performance, and assuring off field lifestyle doesn't negatively impact it.

If we were winning baseball games with a stable of home grown world beaters and smart ball players, Stark could use My little Pony and Care Bear analogies for all I care. In light of our development history though, even recently, he better stick to fundamentals.

_________________
Kevin
Sensorcon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3573
Location: Economy, PA
I don't need to know anything more about Kyle Stark. Just from reading that email, he is a douchebag.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
This is unreal what the hell is wrong with this organization!
Where was the hells angels like team unity at when aroldis chapman plunked cutch earlier in the year!??!?!?
Maybe the navy seal training was to prepare the team to shoot the skeets at the greedy nutting charity events?
The only pirate who should have had the navy seal workouts is Rod Barajas so he would be inshape to play.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 5523
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Barrys Dopers wrote:
For those caught up here, take a look at this internal email from Kyle Stark in June-

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevi ... ark-email/

DK has been banging on Stark's methods for a few weeks now and he is bringing up some serious issues with the approach of our player development Asst GM. Like I said last week, I've heard others mention concern over how we are doing things prior to DK's recent work.


I'm pretty confident that I could eviscerate just about anyone in management at about any business if I had unfettered access to every e-mail that he or she sent and had the opportunity to skewer them by citing a select e-mail. It would be even easier if I had someone parsing through the emails for me.

Not saying that I'd author an email of this tone or draw those same analogies but . . . I'd like to think that I can interpret what he's trying to communicate with this email and, when you focus on the ultimate theme as opposed to the method of delivery . . . its not the lunacy that it is portrayed to be.

Are they doing a good job of developing younger players? Hard to tell. McCutchen came up through the system. Walker came up through the system. Alvarez came up through the system. Marte came up through the system. Others who have struggled at the big league level have been acquired from other systems. I can also point to failures within the system as well.

I'm not going to reach any conclusion regarding a particular management style unless I have a much larger body of work to examine.

.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2144
I could care less about the email, although clearly Stark comes off as a raging idiot. But they stink at their jobs. As I said in other threads, I think these guys all get canned as well as some scouts.

They are horrible at development. And yes, Cutch came through the system. He is not fundamentally sound, he just has superior talent. He is a poor base runner, throws to wrong bases, etc. I'd actually say he is a prime example of how bad they teach the game at the lower levels.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Naples, FL
No. 9 wrote:

I'm pretty confident that I could eviscerate just about anyone in management at about any business if I had unfettered access to every e-mail that he or she sent and had the opportunity to skewer them by citing a select e-mail. It would be even easier if I had someone parsing through the emails for me.




While this particular one is way out there, that is a very fair point.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3573
Location: Economy, PA
Not me. I'm very careful about every email I write. And I write emails all day long.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5126
Location: Pittsburgh
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I think the SEAL training is much ado about nothing, 3 days of non-baseball activity out of 5 weeks of instructionals. DK fails to mention that a number of other athletic teams (some of them not laughingstocks) also use it.

I have no problem with the SEAL training. I don't think it will do a damn thing, but I have no problem with it.

I DO have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no slide step or pickoff move. I have a problem with guys who don't know how to steal a base even though they have blazing speed. I have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no idea how to lay down a bunt. I don't much care for outfielders who have no idea what base they should throw to, and guys who think it's okay to break from second to third on ground balls hit in front of them. So go right ahead with the SEAL training, right after every player in the organization has mastered fundamental baseball skills.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: DK's Kyle Stark story
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 am
Posts: 215
sisyphus wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I think the SEAL training is much ado about nothing, 3 days of non-baseball activity out of 5 weeks of instructionals. DK fails to mention that a number of other athletic teams (some of them not laughingstocks) also use it.

I have no problem with the SEAL training. I don't think it will do a damn thing, but I have no problem with it.

I DO have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no slide step or pickoff move. I have a problem with guys who don't know how to steal a base even though they have blazing speed. I have a problem with guys arriving in Pittsburgh with no idea how to lay down a bunt. I don't much care for outfielders who have no idea what base they should throw to, and guys who think it's okay to break from second to third on ground balls hit in front of them. So go right ahead with the SEAL training, right after every player in the organization has mastered fundamental baseball skills.


This, repeated for emphasis. How many games have we lost this season because of poor fundamentals? Enough to be in a far better position in the wild card race, I bet.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], NSMaster56, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits