Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Very Personal Appeal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 am 

As this season has worn on, a number of long-time posters have been noticeably absent, and just yesterday a few more announced their departure. This is to ask those of you who have left – or are thinking of leaving – to reconsider.

I’ve been on the board for 2 years or so, and have really enjoyed the opportunity to hope for better days, celebrate the times of success, and commiserate during failure. My first joust on the board was with a long-timer (who has been absent for awhile now) over whether or not Bert Blyleven should be in the HOF (let’s not start that again). The debate was vigorous, and at the end of the day we still disagreed, but I appreciated his viewpoint, and as time went on found myself agreeing with his points more often than not. That was the beauty of the board to me – the ability to argue passionately and knowledgeably, but then move on. Lately, that has been missing, and debates lead to name-calling, flame-throwing, and the rest. I hope we can get back to the way it was.

Now for the personal part…I need this board – and maybe others do – as a place to just get away from life for awhile, and lose myself in the team I have loved for as long as I can remember, with guys that love them as much as I do. To wit – two weeks ago I learned that my son has been molested for the past three years by a man our family trusted very, very much. Thankfully, what occurred wasn’t the worst one can imagine, but any abuse of a child is beyond horrific. The rat bastard is in jail, and the authorities say that the case is strong. My son is doing fine – way better than my wife and I are, to be honest. But one of my coping mechanisms to help keep me sane through all of this is coming here (though the Bucs are doing their best to destroy what sanity I have left). And when guys leave, well – it makes it less of a place to come to.

So for the guys who have left or are thinking of doing so – don’t do it. This board is what WE make it, and it can be what it once was again.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: A Very Personal Appeal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:04 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
So for the guys who have left or are thinking of doing so – don’t do it. This board is what WE make it, and it can be what it once was again.

This.

---

And sorry about your personal problems. I can find few words to offer proper condolences.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm 

Only been on this board a month. But I know which people you speak of. I don't like coming on here and being called names either. Sorry about your situation btw.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:37 am 

This board has been great for me. I have not posted as much recently because the team has mailed it in but I read daily. I think many have stopped posting because of their late season frustration with having raised expectations only to see them dashed for a second year in a row. Posters will be back (I hope).

As I have stated several times in the past, this is a way for me to get great information about the Pirates and MLB in general. People here seem to take pride in informing us of the latest developments and I appreciate it.

I also enjoy the humor here. We have some real sickos with creative minds thet make me cough up my coffee.

And I just enjoy the back and forth as long as the name calling is muted. I agree that name calling makes this less attractive to all and can be disheartning to any posted who has commented.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am 

Scrap Iron,

Thank you for posting this. I have always respected everyone's opinions. I especially respect you for sharing such a personal experience which you've had to endure.

Baseball is a just a game and this is just a message board...but for me, the Pirates AND this message board mean a great deal.

I really wouldn't be able to walk away from either.

Besides, the Pirate ship needs as many hands as possible to keep it afloat during the bad times. :)

Hopefully the Bucs will find a way to end this season strong. And, hopefully 2013 will finally be the year when the Pirates can play an ENTIRE season as contenders.

BD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:53 am 

SOO sorry about your son, Scrap Iron. I hate to hear stories like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 am 

People will be back. This is just an awful, awful time for our Buccos so it's not alot of fun to post about them right now considering there are just no answers. I'm in my mid 30's and find myself getting way too down about what in the end is just a game, so watching the game until it is inevitably over by the 6th or 7th inning (or 1'st) is about all I can stomach right now.

This board is by and large made up of hardcore diehards. Let's face it, you'd have to be to put up with this for 20 years and keep asking for more. Once this season mercifully ends and the pain eases, everybody will get back to the daily bickering and all will be well.