Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

I haven't been here long, but have been on a soccer message board for a decade now, and I'm seeing the same behavior here as I've witnessed elsewhere. I don't know that troll is the right epithet for some of the posters, esp those who only seem to show up when things suck. I don't think of these people as trolls so much as people who get different things out of a board like this. I know personally that when my team is doing well, exulting in private is fine. I don't need to get anything off my chest when the team is winning, but when the team is performing poorly that is when I need to vent. Misery loves company and all that. I also think anger is a stronger emotion than is exhilaration, so the likelihood of strong posts increases in the bad times.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm 

yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm 

batterup wrote:
yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo

Exactly how I am feeling there is alot more to discuss when the team is doing piss poor.
And I actually was actively posting on the board when the team was doing well, such as at the trade deadline.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm 

Ryann wrote:
batterup wrote:

Exactly how I am feeling there is alot more to discuss when the team is doing piss poor.
And I actually was actively posting on the board when the team was doing well, such as at the trade deadline.

Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ryann wrote:
batterup wrote:

Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.

The Steeler message board is lively as hell and there is plenty to discuss.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't lively, but its mainly people foolish enough to think they know more than one of the best management teams in any sport. Seriously, what is there to criticize that isn't just fan whining?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 pm 

I know I havent been on as much lately. Not because of the fallout but more of the language some of the new members have been using. I'm sorry but I cant take you serious EVERY TIME you drop the F Bomb, or use some sort of other cuss word. It takes away from a discussion.

AZ, I hate to see you go, but I can understand why. I hope you can come back after some cooling off time.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't lively, but its mainly people foolish enough to think they know more than one of the best management teams in any sport. Seriously, what is there to criticize that isn't just fan whining?

Nothing's ever perfect! MITCH BERGER SUCKS!

And did he ever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:40 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.

Well Ryann, nobody can dispute that if there's one thing you know, it's dumbasses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:04 pm 

glad i didn't waste my time watching them again tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 pm 

Best way to change the tone of a board is:
a) Post content
b) Respond to other substantive posts
c) Ignore troll/worthless posts

When you respond to a troll, you are not "putting him in his place," you are feeding him. Learning to derive pleasure from ignoring a troll is like learning to enjoy folding a hand in poker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:53 pm 

zogby wrote:
a) Post content

When you respond to a troll, you are not "putting him in his place," you are feeding him. Learning to derive pleasure from ignoring a troll is like learning to enjoy folding a hand in poker.

Well put. I can't see getting worked up by a message board. There is even an ignore feature. If a poster is that bothersome to you, use it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:41 pm 

Thank you zogby...more good perspective. From this point on I'm going to do just that.

First exercise...passed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 pm 

zogby wrote:
a) Post content

Not a bad or faulty analogy. Of course, every now and then when you get dealt 2-7 the hand is 'free' when you're the big blind and everybody checks and you get flopped 2-7-7, so...

Can't fold 'em all! :lol: