Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Formerly of Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
Yes the board has declined but it's a little early to give up on it. We've weathered storms like this before. Most of the adolescents will move on.



The reason I left another board last year is because I saw it was declining.

It was the Apple-ease Pirates listserv. Joined and participated for >15 years. The guys who knew their stuff left, and the pups that took their place were ... irritating.

I wonder if that's what's going on here. I haven't been here as long, but the grizzled vets I used to enjoy reading here have moved on ... the few currently here who post WAY more than everyone else ... well...

Maybe I'm just more comfortable talking Bucs with those who actually remember who Dave Augustine was. Or remember who Pedro Borbon bit. Or remember whose career Ed Ott ended at second base.

Is there a board where the old fogeys hang out?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1580
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4962
Location: Washington, DC
No one should willingly walk the plank.

Image

Stay on board, AZ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
VanSlick wrote:
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.

That's all that anyone can do, dance in the ruins. And in reality many on the board constantly praise NH, Hurdle, and company for all the things they do.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1580
Ryann wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.

That's all that anyone can do, dance in the ruins. And in reality many on the board constantly praise NH, Hurdle, and company for all the things they do.


That's all anyone can do?

Just own up to it, you only show up when things go bad. You can't wait to post negative crap. But when we were 16 games over .500, you were nowhere to be found.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1115
I am only 27 years old, I have been a Pirate fan since I can remember, don't hold it against me that I don't who dave augustine is or did not see Roberto Clemente play..Believe me I would have loved to see him play live if I could, but I was still 15 years from birth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 1045
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have been on this board for over 15 years. I have forgotten more about the game than guys like cashinfist and his like know. Some of you may notice that other longtime stalwarts from the board, Bertie, Bucfan, Buck, No. 9 and others, either no longer post or seldom post. The board has lost the spirit and timbre that it had in the past. Well then, I will leave it to the new breed. Baseball is not discussed in a manner that Berties little saying hopes for. You can have your cashinfist types with their adolescent blithering. Reminds me of the 8th graders I endure at school. I don't need to subject myself to even more of that. He will have his chucklehead response and laugh it off. It's been a good ride.......later.

AZBF


I'm with you AZ. I've gone back to lurking and I'm just about done doing that as well. I've lurked on this board for many years but only started posting within the last two. Out of the handful of Pirates message boards I visit, I always thought that this one was the highest quality in terms of great discussions, solid opinions and fervent fans -- a small community, but a very good community.

I'm not going to call anyone out by name, but between the snarky posters, the posts that get dissected like a frog in a biology lab and other, vapid posts, I'm pretty much done as well. I'll never stop rooting for the Buccos and I'm angry as anyone else, but this board has not been what it once was.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

Quoted for truth.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1386
Location: Eastern Shore
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

I haven't been here long, but have been on a soccer message board for a decade now, and I'm seeing the same behavior here as I've witnessed elsewhere. I don't know that troll is the right epithet for some of the posters, esp those who only seem to show up when things suck. I don't think of these people as trolls so much as people who get different things out of a board like this. I know personally that when my team is doing well, exulting in private is fine. I don't need to get anything off my chest when the team is winning, but when the team is performing poorly that is when I need to vent. Misery loves company and all that. I also think anger is a stronger emotion than is exhilaration, so the likelihood of strong posts increases in the bad times.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1115
yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
batterup wrote:
yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo

Exactly how I am feeling there is alot more to discuss when the team is doing piss poor.
And I actually was actively posting on the board when the team was doing well, such as at the trade deadline.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ryann wrote:
batterup wrote:
yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo

Exactly how I am feeling there is alot more to discuss when the team is doing piss poor.
And I actually was actively posting on the board when the team was doing well, such as at the trade deadline.


Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Naples, FL
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ryann wrote:
batterup wrote:
yea I tend to agree val..when the bucs were winning I was so happy, loved watching it and was just enjoying it, i came on here every now and again to talk about the positives and joke when people were being funny..
but when they lose, and lose like they are doing right now, it is easier to gripe about what is being seen, its frustration, i think alot of people on here do that and it is not trolling, just venting over our favorite team that was playing really well 2 months ago to now playing like poo

Exactly how I am feeling there is alot more to discuss when the team is doing piss poor.
And I actually was actively posting on the board when the team was doing well, such as at the trade deadline.


Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.



The Steeler message board is lively as hell and there is plenty to discuss.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.



The Steeler message board is lively as hell and there is plenty to discuss.


I didn't say it wasn't lively, but its mainly people foolish enough to think they know more than one of the best management teams in any sport. Seriously, what is there to criticize that isn't just fan whining?

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7246
I know I havent been on as much lately. Not because of the fallout but more of the language some of the new members have been using. I'm sorry but I cant take you serious EVERY TIME you drop the F Bomb, or use some sort of other cuss word. It takes away from a discussion.

AZ, I hate to see you go, but I can understand why. I hope you can come back after some cooling off time.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Naples, FL
Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Val has a good point, there's a reason why its more fun to discuss the Pirates than the Steelers. Its hard to say much about a well run organization that generally makes all the right decisions. I think its true outside of Pittsburgh. It seems like the most ardent blogs are tied to teams like KC, PIT, SEA, not NYY.



The Steeler message board is lively as hell and there is plenty to discuss.


I didn't say it wasn't lively, but its mainly people foolish enough to think they know more than one of the best management teams in any sport. Seriously, what is there to criticize that isn't just fan whining?



Nothing's ever perfect! MITCH BERGER SUCKS!

And did he ever.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5130
Location: Pittsburgh
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.

Well Ryann, nobody can dispute that if there's one thing you know, it's dumbasses.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2212
glad i didn't waste my time watching them again tonight.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits