Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6208
Location: Keystone State
Ryann wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:
Just when you think it can't get any worse...here comes Ryann... :)


This.

True I mean I am one of the only members on this board that has been here a while, and actually has sense of what is going on.


Post of the Year :shock:

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
For instance everyone praises Clint Hurdle, when in reality the guy makes terrible decisions every game. Not to mention he has had his team quit on him 2 straight seasons.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1081
No. 9 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have been on this board for over 15 years. I have forgotten more about the game than guys like cashinfist and his like know. Some of you may notice that other longtime stalwarts from the board, Bertie, Bucfan, Buck, No. 9 and others, either no longer post or seldom post. The board has lost the spirit and timbre that it had in the past. Well then, I will leave it to the new breed. Baseball is not discussed in a manner that Berties little saying hopes for. You can have your cashinfist types with their adolescent blithering. Reminds me of the 8th graders I endure at school. I don't need to subject myself to even more of that. He will have his chucklehead response and laugh it off. It's been a good ride.......later.

AZBF


Keep the faith Az. Still here ... just lurking and trying to determine whether I need anti-depressants or anger management classes. I am so at a loss for what to write anymore. The players have disappointed me immensely. Game management leaves me confused (Qualls in the 8th today-really?). Bordering on a total meltdown here in the heartland. Hell ... I was too comatose to give IA shit before that scintillating 9-6 loss by Iowa to Iowa State.

My neighbor called me today to see if I was Ok. He was serious. Said he's never seen a more fervent fan than him until we met earlier this year. This last month has nearly driven me crazy. The stalwarts will remain. Others will pass like ships in the night. It's cyclical. This Board is a better place with your insight. Reconsider.


I have pretty much been depressed for the past month. I feel numb inside. There was so much joy this season. So many moments of watching or listening with a giant grin on my face in disbelief of how clutch we were for the first half. Was so awesome when our players were coming up with the monster hits in the key spots instead of striking out in the key spots.

Now when I can bring myself to flip on the game I watch in disgust, shaking my head in disbelief of how shitty we have become. It's gonna take a while to bring myself to believe again. Kind of like the 'Fool me once, fool me twice' saying.

Sorry to see you go Az. Maybe just take a break.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bucco boy wrote:
Ryann wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:
Just when you think it can't get any worse...here comes Ryann... :)


True I mean I am one of the only members on this board that has been here a while, and actually has sense of what is going on.


Post of the Year :shock:


Bingo. Although, Ryann shows up, Animal goes away. I'll call it a wash.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5632
Ryann wrote:
This team doesn't deserve to have a SERIOUS following...


That explains your fandom.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Naples, FL
Ryann wrote:
For instance everyone praises Clint Hurdle, when in reality the guy makes terrible decisions every game. Not to mention he has had his team quit on him 2 straight seasons.



You haven't actually read the words that have been posted on here, have you?

But good call, you're a revolutionary.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
well, like someone else said, through early August I was watching the games with a proud smirk on my face, this team was playing good if not great baseball, sure they struggled with things like the sacrifice bunt but even when they screwed that up they seemed to get a hit instead.

But, then came mid August and you could see the problems starting to come, it all started with that 6 run lead that we blew to the Padres and then the 14-4 drubbing by the cubs, we were still 14 games over but you could see our lack of fundamentals were hurting us, the carpet got taken out from under our feet and we fell hard. Like I posted in a thread yesterday, in exactly one month we went from being 12.5 games up on the brewers to being 2 games back of them.

as disappointed and angry I am with the Pirates I am not going to let it affect me to the point where I will be miserable, ever since my daughter was born last March I look forward to seeing her after work and playing with her until she goes to bed.

I guess when they were doing well and making us feel like proud papas watching our team play, we felt good, but now they grew up into being teenagers who are not behaving (or playing in the pirates case) the way we brought them up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Yes the board has declined but it's a little early to give up on it. We've weathered storms like this before. Most of the adolescents will move on.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 pm
Posts: 1394
Location: A Pond or Lake Near You
Success breeds contempt, AZ. We were able to simply kick rocks around while the team was flying under the radar the last 5 or 6 years (however long this board has been around), but you had to know that when they started winning, folks would show up, good and bad.

I don't really have a problem with anyone on the board. I certainly don't think there's ever a reason for name calling and general douchey-ness, but this is the Reddit/4Chan generation, and incredulous is the new cool. Hell, people even act like dickwads with their own names and pictures up on Facebook, so you can imagine the testosterone and vitriol that surges when we can hide behind an avatar and a nickname.

My only advice would be not to let message boards bother you. Which is hard. In the end, you never know who's posting on the other end. I don't know any of you personally, but I think it's clear which ones have their act together in life, and which are primarily taking out frustrations due their own sense of powerlessness, dead end jobs, crappy marriages, and chemical imbalances. That's the internet in a nutshell.

I for one will miss you.

_________________
Kevin
Sensorcon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
Ryann wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
I'm sad to see it come to this Az, but I too have noticed a "different climate" here on our beloved message board. I too have lost interest in posting here, and I'm sad to say (after today's loss against the Brewers), I am not going to spend all of my time watching and following the Pirates like I have in the past. I've been a loyal Pirate fan for 52 years.

Maybe better days are still ahead for this message board and for the Pirates. And, I might stop in once in awhile to see what's being discussed and by whom. But my posting days here and seriously following our Pirates are done.

Take care everyone! :)

This team doesn't deserve to have a SERIOUS following...



What a shock.

You're nowhere to be found all season long while the Pirates were good.....then just when the bottom falls out, so does Ryann.

Why is that?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 pm
Posts: 187
Location: Formerly of Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
Yes the board has declined but it's a little early to give up on it. We've weathered storms like this before. Most of the adolescents will move on.



The reason I left another board last year is because I saw it was declining.

It was the Apple-ease Pirates listserv. Joined and participated for >15 years. The guys who knew their stuff left, and the pups that took their place were ... irritating.

I wonder if that's what's going on here. I haven't been here as long, but the grizzled vets I used to enjoy reading here have moved on ... the few currently here who post WAY more than everyone else ... well...

Maybe I'm just more comfortable talking Bucs with those who actually remember who Dave Augustine was. Or remember who Pedro Borbon bit. Or remember whose career Ed Ott ended at second base.

Is there a board where the old fogeys hang out?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:09 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
No one should willingly walk the plank.

Image

Stay on board, AZ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
VanSlick wrote:
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.

That's all that anyone can do, dance in the ruins. And in reality many on the board constantly praise NH, Hurdle, and company for all the things they do.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1592
Ryann wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
Ryann wrote:
I posted occasionally when the team was doing well, and I also followed them very closely. However I love to come and see the reactions of all the dumbasses that think everything the pirates management does is great. Especially when the product on the field shows just how bad the management is doing...however the goal of this organization isn't to win games, it is to create the illusion they are trying to win, and keep making those big profits.



So in other words, you only like to post negative stuff?

No one is saying the Pirates brass is doing everything right. If you'd been around to read the board over the course of the season, you'd know that.

But instead, you do what you've always done: Dance in the ruins.

That's all that anyone can do, dance in the ruins. And in reality many on the board constantly praise NH, Hurdle, and company for all the things they do.


That's all anyone can do?

Just own up to it, you only show up when things go bad. You can't wait to post negative crap. But when we were 16 games over .500, you were nowhere to be found.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
I am only 27 years old, I have been a Pirate fan since I can remember, don't hold it against me that I don't who dave augustine is or did not see Roberto Clemente play..Believe me I would have loved to see him play live if I could, but I was still 15 years from birth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 1045
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have been on this board for over 15 years. I have forgotten more about the game than guys like cashinfist and his like know. Some of you may notice that other longtime stalwarts from the board, Bertie, Bucfan, Buck, No. 9 and others, either no longer post or seldom post. The board has lost the spirit and timbre that it had in the past. Well then, I will leave it to the new breed. Baseball is not discussed in a manner that Berties little saying hopes for. You can have your cashinfist types with their adolescent blithering. Reminds me of the 8th graders I endure at school. I don't need to subject myself to even more of that. He will have his chucklehead response and laugh it off. It's been a good ride.......later.

AZBF


I'm with you AZ. I've gone back to lurking and I'm just about done doing that as well. I've lurked on this board for many years but only started posting within the last two. Out of the handful of Pirates message boards I visit, I always thought that this one was the highest quality in terms of great discussions, solid opinions and fervent fans -- a small community, but a very good community.

I'm not going to call anyone out by name, but between the snarky posters, the posts that get dissected like a frog in a biology lab and other, vapid posts, I'm pretty much done as well. I'll never stop rooting for the Buccos and I'm angry as anyone else, but this board has not been what it once was.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I know we are all disappointed and annoyed by the trolls who like to rub the failure in, but the page is so close to being turned with this franchise. I know patience is hard to come by, but we're so close to being rewarded that to leave now would be a shame.

Quoted for truth.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits