Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm 

I have been on this board for over 15 years. I have forgotten more about the game than guys like cashinfist and his like know. Some of you may notice that other longtime stalwarts from the board, Bertie, Bucfan, Buck, No. 9 and others, either no longer post or seldom post. The board has lost the spirit and timbre that it had in the past. Well then, I will leave it to the new breed. Baseball is not discussed in a manner that Berties little saying hopes for. You can have your cashinfist types with their adolescent blithering. Reminds me of the 8th graders I endure at school. I don't need to subject myself to even more of that. He will have his chucklehead response and laugh it off. It's been a good ride.......later.

AZBF

Post subject: Re: Stick a fork in me, I am done.......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 pm 

Hope you'll reconsider, AZ. I've always appreciated your insights, and have enjoyed your updates on #1.

All the guys I cut my teeth with on the board are leaving.... :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 pm 

I'm sad to see it come to this Az, but I too have noticed a "different climate" here on our beloved message board. I too have lost interest in posting here, and I'm sad to say (after today's loss against the Brewers), I am not going to spend all of my time watching and following the Pirates like I have in the past. I've been a loyal Pirate fan for 52 years.

Maybe better days are still ahead for this message board and for the Pirates. And, I might stop in once in awhile to see what's being discussed and by whom. But my posting days here and seriously following our Pirates are done.

Take care everyone! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I'm sad to see it come to this Az, but I too have noticed a "different climate" here on our beloved message board. I too have lost interest in posting here, and I'm sad to say (after today's loss against the Brewers), I am not going to spend all of my time watching and following the Pirates like I have in the past. I've been a loyal Pirate fan for 52 years.

Maybe better days are still ahead for this message board and for the Pirates. And, I might stop in once in awhile to see what's being discussed and by whom. But my posting days here and seriously following our Pirates are done.

This team doesn't deserve to have a SERIOUS following...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 pm 

you can put him on your foe list az. that way you cant read his posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:33 pm 

Sorry to lose you AZBF and BD, you will be missed something terrible.

I will avenge you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:33 pm 

Just when you think it can't get any worse...here comes Ryann... :)

I can only hope that when the Pirates give us something good to post about, we'll all enjoy the board again instead of what's happened this year. Yep...the team's a mess. Every walk (plenty), single or error has been a guaranteed double (or triple!). WHOEVER is responsible for that saber strategy should definitely be fired. My God....where are the Pens when you need them?! The only thing I've enjoyed less than the Pirate's downfall has been the competition for the "I predicted the downfall" title.

I think we're all truly heartbroken. I know I am.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have been on this board for over 15 years. I have forgotten more about the game than guys like cashinfist and his like know. Some of you may notice that other longtime stalwarts from the board, Bertie, Bucfan, Buck, No. 9 and others, either no longer post or seldom post. The board has lost the spirit and timbre that it had in the past. Well then, I will leave it to the new breed. Baseball is not discussed in a manner that Berties little saying hopes for. You can have your cashinfist types with their adolescent blithering. Reminds me of the 8th graders I endure at school. I don't need to subject myself to even more of that. He will have his chucklehead response and laugh it off. It's been a good ride.......later.

AZBF

Keep the faith Az. Still here ... just lurking and trying to determine whether I need anti-depressants or anger management classes. I am so at a loss for what to write anymore. The players have disappointed me immensely. Game management leaves me confused (Qualls in the 8th today-really?). Bordering on a total meltdown here in the heartland. Hell ... I was too comatose to give IA shit before that scintillating 9-6 loss by Iowa to Iowa State.

My neighbor called me today to see if I was Ok. He was serious. Said he's never seen a more fervent fan than him until we met earlier this year. This last month has nearly driven me crazy. The stalwarts will remain. Others will pass like ships in the night. It's cyclical. This Board is a better place with your insight. Reconsider.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:12 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

This.

True I mean I am one of the only members on this board that has been here a while, and actually has sense of what is going on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm 

Ryann wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

This.

True I mean I am one of the only members on this board that has been here a while, and actually has sense of what is going on.

Post of the Year :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm 

For instance everyone praises Clint Hurdle, when in reality the guy makes terrible decisions every game. Not to mention he has had his team quit on him 2 straight seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

AZBF

Keep the faith Az. Still here ... just lurking and trying to determine whether I need anti-depressants or anger management classes. I am so at a loss for what to write anymore. The players have disappointed me immensely. Game management leaves me confused (Qualls in the 8th today-really?). Bordering on a total meltdown here in the heartland. Hell ... I was too comatose to give IA shit before that scintillating 9-6 loss by Iowa to Iowa State.

My neighbor called me today to see if I was Ok. He was serious. Said he's never seen a more fervent fan than him until we met earlier this year. This last month has nearly driven me crazy. The stalwarts will remain. Others will pass like ships in the night. It's cyclical. This Board is a better place with your insight. Reconsider.

I have pretty much been depressed for the past month. I feel numb inside. There was so much joy this season. So many moments of watching or listening with a giant grin on my face in disbelief of how clutch we were for the first half. Was so awesome when our players were coming up with the monster hits in the key spots instead of striking out in the key spots.

Now when I can bring myself to flip on the game I watch in disgust, shaking my head in disbelief of how shitty we have become. It's gonna take a while to bring myself to believe again. Kind of like the 'Fool me once, fool me twice' saying.

Sorry to see you go Az. Maybe just take a break.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:10 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Ryann wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

Post of the Year :shock:

Bingo. Although, Ryann shows up, Animal goes away. I'll call it a wash.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 am 

Ryann wrote:

That explains your fandom.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ryann wrote:
For instance everyone praises Clint Hurdle, when in reality the guy makes terrible decisions every game. Not to mention he has had his team quit on him 2 straight seasons.

You haven't actually read the words that have been posted on here, have you?

But good call, you're a revolutionary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am 

well, like someone else said, through early August I was watching the games with a proud smirk on my face, this team was playing good if not great baseball, sure they struggled with things like the sacrifice bunt but even when they screwed that up they seemed to get a hit instead.

But, then came mid August and you could see the problems starting to come, it all started with that 6 run lead that we blew to the Padres and then the 14-4 drubbing by the cubs, we were still 14 games over but you could see our lack of fundamentals were hurting us, the carpet got taken out from under our feet and we fell hard. Like I posted in a thread yesterday, in exactly one month we went from being 12.5 games up on the brewers to being 2 games back of them.

as disappointed and angry I am with the Pirates I am not going to let it affect me to the point where I will be miserable, ever since my daughter was born last March I look forward to seeing her after work and playing with her until she goes to bed.

I guess when they were doing well and making us feel like proud papas watching our team play, we felt good, but now they grew up into being teenagers who are not behaving (or playing in the pirates case) the way we brought them up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am 

Yes the board has declined but it's a little early to give up on it. We've weathered storms like this before. Most of the adolescents will move on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:06 am 
 WWW  Profile

Success breeds contempt, AZ. We were able to simply kick rocks around while the team was flying under the radar the last 5 or 6 years (however long this board has been around), but you had to know that when they started winning, folks would show up, good and bad.

I don't really have a problem with anyone on the board. I certainly don't think there's ever a reason for name calling and general douchey-ness, but this is the Reddit/4Chan generation, and incredulous is the new cool. Hell, people even act like dickwads with their own names and pictures up on Facebook, so you can imagine the testosterone and vitriol that surges when we can hide behind an avatar and a nickname.

My only advice would be not to let message boards bother you. Which is hard. In the end, you never know who's posting on the other end. I don't know any of you personally, but I think it's clear which ones have their act together in life, and which are primarily taking out frustrations due their own sense of powerlessness, dead end jobs, crappy marriages, and chemical imbalances. That's the internet in a nutshell.

I for one will miss you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am 

Ryann wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

What a shock.

You're nowhere to be found all season long while the Pirates were good.....then just when the bottom falls out, so does Ryann.

Why is that?