Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Batting Title
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 pm 

Quote:
Cabrera has 501 plate appearances, one fewer than the required amount if the Giants play 162 games. Under section 10.22(a) of the Official Baseball Rules, he would win the batting title if an extra hitless at-bat is added to his average and it remains higher than that of any other qualifying player.

This is from ESPN. Does this mean that as long as the Giants play all 162 he doesn't qualify?

Post subject: Re: 2012 Batting Title
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Nope. Essentially they can give him enough at bats to qualify as long as he is hitless in those ABs. So, amazingly, stupid.

Quote:
Turns out Cabrera actually is eligible because of the Tony Gwynn Rule.

It's officially called Rule 10.22(a), but it's known that way because the Padres' legend took the batting crown in 1996 with a .353 average on just 498 plate appearances. He was four shy.

The rule allowed that because Gwynn would have led the league even if he'd gone 0-for-4 in those missing plate appearances. His average would have dropped to .349, five points better than second-place Ellis Burks' .344.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm 

2011 NL MVP = Roids
2012 NL Batting Title = Roids

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Nope. Essentially they can give him enough at bats to qualify as long as he is hitless in those ABs. So, amazingly, stupid.

Quote:
Turns out Cabrera actually is eligible because of the Tony Gwynn Rule.

It's officially called Rule 10.22(a), but it's known that way because the Padres' legend took the batting crown in 1996 with a .353 average on just 498 plate appearances. He was four shy.

The rule allowed that because Gwynn would have led the league even if he'd gone 0-for-4 in those missing plate appearances. His average would have dropped to .349, five points better than second-place Ellis Burks' .344.

Dumbest fucking rule on the planet. Either you have a plate appearance or you don't. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't see why that's a dumb rule. If you are a few ABs short, and nothing you would have done in those ABs could have caused you to lose the title, I'd say you were the best hitter for average in the league that year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I don't see why that's a dumb rule. If you are a few ABs short, and nothing you would have done in those ABs could have caused you to lose the title, I'd say you were the best hitter for average in the league that year.

Because either you made the plate appearances or you didn't. If you got hurt or you get suspended for roids, I'm sorry but they shouldn't just add plate appearances.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Because either you made the plate appearances or you didn't. If you got hurt or you get suspended for roids, I'm sorry but they shouldn't just add plate appearances.

Say you got murdered, and then the team put your dead body up at the plate for 6 more at bats, and you still won the batting title. I guess we just disagree on the dumbness of the rule as it is written.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm 

rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

The rule is practical...what if andrew mccutchen was in the same situation, but went down with injury? Everyone on here would be thinking the rule is fair in that case...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:
rellimie wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

The rule is practical...what if andrew mccutchen was in the same situation, but went down with injury? Everyone on here would be thinking the rule is fair in that case...

I wouldn't. There's a minimum number of PAs specifically to ensure that the winner played a complete season, or wasn't a fluke. And everyone knows that 501 is the magic number. It ought to stay that way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 pm 

val wrote:
Ryann wrote:
rellimie wrote:

I wouldn't. There's a minimum number of PAs specifically to ensure that the winner played a complete season, or wasn't a fluke. And everyone knows that 501 is the magic number. It ought to stay that way.

The first time I ever heard of this rule was in 1996 when they gave Tony Gwynn 4 extra pa's to win the batting title when he was 9 points ahead of Ellis Burks. I never understood why its a rule.

I think they should make a rule that no players suspended during a season for PEDs can be eligible for any league awards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The first time I ever heard of this rule was in 1996 when they gave Tony Gwynn 4 extra pa's to win the batting title when he was 9 points ahead of Ellis Burks. I never understood why its a rule.

I think they should make a rule that no players suspended during a season for PEDs can be eligible for any league awards.

The PEDs rule makes sense and will likely be added.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:

Fluke has nothing to do with it. If you are adding oh-fers, then it wouldn't matter if it were a fluke or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

I became a Bucs fan as a result of this rule. Back in the summer of 77 when Renny Stennet and Dave Parker were running neck and neck for the batting title, a couple of times during the summer Stennet would drop off the leader board. It was due to insufficient plate appearances, but it was the curiousity that got me coming back to the Pirates.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm 

Give Melky Cabrera some credit, im hearing that he asked to be ruled out of the batting title race.