Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm 

batterup wrote:
for as bad as he was during april and may and I mean bad as in horrid, barmes has been pretty okay since....that being said I have seen enough of him and want something better, but he was an upgrade over cedeno, better clubhouse guy (i think) and he did not have the mental lapses of cedeno, offensively, they are about the same.

That's been my take on Barmes, plus he's a decent to good defender. I can live with that, esp since he's apparently a good clubhouse guy. It's Barajas who really hurts. And if you guys are right in that he brings little to the table in terms of game management, well, that's unforgiveable for a guy hitting sub .200.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:09 pm 

Willton wrote:
Management can keep Barmes, but that doesn't mean they have to start Barmes.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:10 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Don't look now, but Barmes is now the best defensive SS in MLB by UZR (he's 6th by DRS) and his WAR is up to 1.8, good for 18th best in MLB. By WAR standards his $5.5 million contract is starting to look like a bargain. The season is 162 games afterall. He could end up posting the 2nd best WAR of his career.

I don't buy the defensive stats at all. He's so bad with the stick, I don't care if he's good defensively. What's his oWAR, Barrys?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Don't look now, but Barmes is now the best defensive SS in MLB by UZR (he's 6th by DRS) and his WAR is up to 1.8, good for 18th best in MLB. By WAR standards his $5.5 million contract is starting to look like a bargain. The season is 162 games afterall. He could end up posting the 2nd best WAR of his career.

I don't buy the defensive stats at all. He's so bad with the stick, I don't care if he's good defensively. What's his oWAR, Barrys?

Oh its bad (about 0.3), but his D has been outstanding and IMO it passes the sight test. He makes so many plays in the hole and makes DP's seem effortless. Its not like his D hasn't been high rated before, he basically was known as a glove 1st guy before we got him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:26 pm 

would you throw 12-14 million at kyle lohse, maybe a 3 years and 39 million...
I am just throwing it out there, because there is nothing I would really want in terms of free agency
maybe nick swisher can play first base IF we trade garett jones, and swisher would get a contract similar and I do not really look at him the same way i look at jason kubel from last year so I would be hesitent to give nick swisher that much money.
I would eat money this year if I am the Pirates, save it for 2014, we just about have all that we need, we can do what we do with our bullpen and spend very little to bring some arms in and maybe get a catcher for 3 million, but please do not spend 15 million on bums. save it for the next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd pay for hitting but I'd hate to take a big chance on pitching in FA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
If I'm the Pirates, I'm looking into trading for Elvis Andrus or Danny Espinosa -- both would be long-term shortstop solutions. The former would cost quite a bit more, but he's an ideal lead-off hitter with a career OBP over .340. The latter plays second base for the Nationals, but can play shortstop at an above-average level. He's also a switch-hitter with some pop. Both players are available on the trade market because of the depth their teams have in the middle infield. Texas has Jurickson Profar coming up to take over at short, while the Nationals have Desmond at shortstop and options such as Lombardozzi and, eventually, Anthony Rendon at second base.

This is a capital idea. :idea:

As you state, both teams are flush with players at the M/C IF and might be more than willing to deal for the right price and both Elvis and Espinosa fit the bill in terms of Pirates needs.

Where do I sign this agenda???