Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2574
Snider can't hit a ball in the air- everything hits the ground in the dirt in front of home plate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
doug frobel wrote:
Snider can't hit a ball in the air- everything hits the ground in the dirt in front of home plate.


Yet he has 32HR in 942 ab's in his big league career, did they move the fences in at Skydome?

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2229
What stinks is we wont have the astros in our division next year or our league. Wish National league would keep Astros, and put milwaukee back in the american league.lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
IA Pirate wrote:
They need to overspend on an impact free agent. I don't care if they only sign one player. The Pirates are one big bat from being in the playoffs. You no longer have to be a fantastic team to make the post season. It's very similar to college football. There are so many bowl games that even below average teams can play in January.


Really? One big bat?

How about one big bat, several bench players, a catcher, and 3 starting pitchers away.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2229
i say keep pedro,neil,garrett, cutch, aj, joel and karstens. get rid of the rest.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
Clevelandsux wrote:
i say keep pedro,neil,garrett, cutch, aj, joel and karstens. get rid of the rest.


Starling?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 915
Since day 1 NH has been building this team to be a contender by 2013. I say 1 more year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2229
Marte and holt need to be back in the minors. I think in time they will be good players, but not ready yet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
IA Pirate wrote:
They need to overspend on an impact free agent. I don't care if they only sign one player. The Pirates are one big bat from being in the playoffs. You no longer have to be a fantastic team to make the post season. It's very similar to college football. There are so many bowl games that even below average teams can play in January.

Hanley Ramirez was that guy this season. They wouldn't open the wallet.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Yeah someone like Carl Crawford ....

Signing big FA's is not a good idea, it isn't $16 million for 1 year, its $16 million for 5 or 6 years. These contracts rarely work out. The money we have ahs to be spent on player development and retaining players that we do develop. The Bucs need to fill that bat need with creative moves like the AJ trade and good talent evaluation (hopefully like the Snider trade).


I understand that there are risks involved with long term free agent contracts and that is why I said spend that on one year or two years, we will need to overpay but I think it would be better off to do that than throw money away on the bedards and barajas's. Believe me, I hate long term deals that are in the hundreds of millions, very rarely does it work out..but

Aramis Ramirez signed with the brewers for two years, we could have signed him on a two year deal and spent more than milwaukee and it would have cost us the same as we spent on that big bad 3 B's (barmes, bedard, barajas)

Now, even if Ramirez did not sign with us (and cant blame him for not wanting to) we still could overspent on a one or two year deal with somebody, willingham, beltran, etc.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4983
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
batterup wrote:
Now, even if Ramirez did not sign with us (and cant blame him for not wanting to) we still could overspent on a one or two year deal with somebody, willingham, beltran, etc.


Some people will argue against this yet will not have a leg to stand on. Eric Fryer and Jordy Mercer could have played the entire season for the Pirates and done just as well (and probably better) than the key free agent signings of Barajas and Barmes. Shoot, Chase d'Arnaud could have been up here.

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-4) at Texas Longhorns (2-4)
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
October 18, 2014
7:00 PM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Exactly IA, it is frustrating beyond belief, what the front office does not realize is that money they try to save by not drafting weiters and not signing these actual good players, they spend on bandages at other positions that dont do anything..
I know the horse is dead, but if we just drafted weiters we probably would have saved $ by not spending that money on barajas and all the other crap catchers over the years..


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2172
IA Pirate wrote:
batterup wrote:
Now, even if Ramirez did not sign with us (and cant blame him for not wanting to) we still could overspent on a one or two year deal with somebody, willingham, beltran, etc.


Some people will argue against this yet will not have a leg to stand on. Eric Fryer and Jordy Mercer could have played the entire season for the Pirates and done just as well (and probably better) than the key free agent signings of Barajas and Barmes. Shoot, Chase d'Arnaud could have been up here.

Whoever made the decision to let Mercer rot on the major league bench all year should be fired. We've been told for years now that he was one of the prospects that could play a prominent role in Pittsburgh. Then they call him up, sit him all year, then hint that they don't think he is an every day player. What? Talk about screwed up.

On the issue of bringing in players, I've said before that Huntington has showed no creativity in finding players. He deserves credit for the AJ signing(although I think he got lucky here) and a few other moves, but in general he has wasted money while bringing in NO talent. For the record I still have my doubts about how much money this owner is willing to spend. Cue the infantile "Cheap Nuttings" posts in 3...2...1....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
I know the horse is a goner but I will keep saying that they keep putting money into these players that are way past their primes, (overbay, diaz, barajas, bedard, etc.) and yes they get lucky from time to time with burnett but when they spend millions in the offseaon on lesser talent with 3 players they could have used that money to get an actual good player.

we could have gotten weiters for what 10 million if we drafted him, and we could have had him for many years with that 10 million, instead we pass and spend almost 5 million on a 36 year old washed up catcher....i know its a risk to draft a guy and put $ into it but its a risk to sign a 36 year old has been too


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
batterup wrote:
I know the horse is a goner but I will keep saying that they keep putting money into these players that are way past their primes, (overbay, diaz, barajas, bedard, etc.) and yes they get lucky from time to time with burnett but when they spend millions in the offseaon on lesser talent with 3 players they could have used that money to get an actual good player.

we could have gotten weiters for what 10 million if we drafted him, and we could have had him for many years with that 10 million, instead we pass and spend almost 5 million on a 36 year old washed up catcher....i know its a risk to draft a guy and put $ into it but its a risk to sign a 36 year old has been too


You do know the the Wieters call was not this management team, right?

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
yes I do know that, it was the same management team that traded rajai davis for 58 year old matt morris and his 12 million dollar salary..

but my point is take a shot and throw alot of money towards someone that can do something instead of spending the same amount of money on guys who are bandaids and prove nothing valuable... I just hope we dont go out next year and sign casey kotchman, ramon hernandez and some other 37 year old light hitting middle infielder for a combined 15 million plus, only because they will fail just as the signings this year, last year and the year before did...learn from the mistakes of littlefield and co. dont immulate them.

And if there is nobody out there next year worth giving 12-16 million to, then eat it and save it for the next year, its just like not throwing a ball over to first if you have no shot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
batterup wrote:
yes I do know that, it was the same management team that traded rajai davis for 58 year old matt morris and his 12 million dollar salary..

but my point is take a shot and throw alot of money towards someone that can do something instead of spending the same amount of money on guys who are bandaids and prove nothing valuable... I just hope we dont go out next year and sign casey kotchman, ramon hernandez and some other 37 year old light hitting middle infielder for a combined 15 million plus, only because they will fail just as the signings this year, last year and the year before did...learn from the mistakes of littlefield and co. dont immulate them.

And if there is nobody out there next year worth giving 12-16 million to, then eat it and save it for the next year, its just like not throwing a ball over to first if you have no shot.


I don't see your criticism, they have been spending more than any other team to get "someone that can do something" in teh draft and Latin America. The new rules have curtailed this significantly.

BTW, 4 players for $12 million on 1 and 2 year deals does not equaly 1 player for $12 million per for 5 or 6 years. There is a huge amount of risk involved with signig a big ticket FA.

I'd like to see some examples of signing a big FA in the $10-15 million range for 5 or 6 years that worked out for the signing team.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:12 pm
Posts: 1128
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BTW, 4 players for $12 million on 1 and 2 year deals does not equaly 1 player for $12 million per for 5 or 6 years. There is a huge amount of risk involved with signig a big ticket FA.

I'd like to see some examples of signing a big FA in the $10-15 million range for 5 or 6 years that worked out for the signing team.


bedard made 5 million, barmes is making 5 million and barajas is making 4.5 million, that is 14.5 million this year on 3 players...

I dont know why you are putting words in my mouth, I never once said I wanted a 5 or 6 year deal, I said I would rather them spend that 15 or 16 million on one player on a one or two year deal, something similar to the deal ramirez signed with the brewers....

Okay lets see if you put your own spin on this one and try to make yourself feel good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Players who can command a 15 or 16 million dollar a year salary are generally not going to sign for 1 or 2 years.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: what stinks for next year is...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
batterup wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BTW, 4 players for $12 million on 1 and 2 year deals does not equaly 1 player for $12 million per for 5 or 6 years. There is a huge amount of risk involved with signig a big ticket FA.

I'd like to see some examples of signing a big FA in the $10-15 million range for 5 or 6 years that worked out for the signing team.


bedard made 5 million, barmes is making 5 million and barajas is making 4.5 million, that is 14.5 million this year on 3 players...

I dont know why you are putting words in my mouth, I never once said I wanted a 5 or 6 year deal, I said I would rather them spend that 15 or 16 million on one player on a one or two year deal, something similar to the deal ramirez signed with the brewers....

Okay lets see if you put your own spin on this one and try to make yourself feel good


I'm not spinning anything, I feel fine. I think we generally agree, but you were very unclear in your previous rant. You don't really see $16 million a year in 1 or two year deals, but a signing like AmRam is exactly what I think is possible. I woudl rather have two guys in the $5-7 range personally. Say Iannetta to C and trade for JJ Hardy.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits