Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alvarez - Defense
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 am 

It seems like Pedro has a pretty good glove, with most of his errors coming on throws. Maybe he would be an above average first baseman? I know that this has been bantered around before. Any chance this comes to fruition any sooner?

Post subject: Re: Alvarez - Defense
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
It seems like Pedro has a pretty good glove, with most of his errors coming on throws. Maybe he would be an above average first baseman? I know that this has been bantered around before. Any chance this comes to fruition any sooner?

I think Pedro has the strongest infield arm on the team.

Plus, if you move him to first it raises 2 questions

1. Who plays 3rd?
2. Where does Jones play? (I like Snider in RF)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

3Bs are tough to come across. I'd leave him.

And maybe he'll continue to get better. This is only his 2nd full season in the majors. I think people forget that at times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
3Bs are tough to come across. I'd leave him.

And maybe he'll continue to get better. This is only his 2nd full season in the majors. I think people forget that at times.

Actually, this is his first full season. In 2010 he was called up late and played a little over 90 games. In 2011 he was sent down after 70+ games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am 

He has more value as a third baseman as long as his defense is adequate, which it is. He will get better on both offense and defense.

I say he stays at third through the prime of his career and moves across later when his quickness and agility decline.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm 

You don't move Pedro, not with an arm like that. Most of his errant throws come from rushing his throw. Sometimes you just have to eat it. My take on Pedro is he'll get better and better in the field. His glove is pretty good and at times comes up with the spectacular play.

If there is one downfall to Pedro's play at third base, early in his career, I'd say it's his lateral movement. He seems to have pretty good feet, but maybe because of his weight he's a little slow at times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

1. Who plays 3rd?

1. Well you could put Chase Headley...oh wait...nevermind.

In all seriousness, Pedro just needs to gain consistency...with everything. Not sure if that will happen or not, but if it does he will be the player we all hoped he would be. Just like his hitting, he looks like a gold glover for 2 weeks, then looks like a bad little leaguer for two weeks. He is a frustrating, yet extremely exciting/promising player. He still remains the key(IMO) to the future success of this team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 pm 

He is definitely a key player but the starting pitching is more important. i.e. Cole and Taillon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm 

I've wondered if the move will eventually be Pedro to first and Walker to 3rd, especially if his back becomes chronically wonky.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:31 pm 

It's deja vu all over again. Walker has more value at second.

We eventually need another thumper at first base, but for next year I suspect it will be Jones and Sanchez.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 pm 

Pedro's UZR is -4.6 this year, driven down by error rate. His DRS is -1 for the year. He isn't particularly good, but he isn't awful. I'd keep his bat at 3B where it is most valuable until his D drops off. As a 3B he is at 3.0 WAR as a 1B he would be about 1.8 WAR due to his bat losing value as a 1B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

1. Who plays 3rd?

In all seriousness, Pedro just needs to gain consistency...with everything. Not sure if that will happen or not, but if it does he will be the player we all hoped he would be. Just like his hitting, he looks like a gold glover for 2 weeks, then looks like a bad little leaguer for two weeks. He is a frustrating, yet extremely exciting/promising player. He still remains the key(IMO) to the future success of this team.

Can you imagine that if we traded the farm for Chase. What this collapse would look like? By the way it would still happen because last time I checked Chase can't pitch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 pm 

rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Can you imagine that if we traded the farm for Chase. What this collapse would look like? By the way it would still happen because last time I checked Chase can't pitch.

Not looking to start this argument, but if the reports were true they wouldn't have had to trade the farm for Headley. IMO wouldve been worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Not looking to start this argument, but if the reports were true they wouldn't have had to trade the farm for Headley. IMO wouldve been worth it.

The reports are hardly ever true

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:21 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

What was that report again? I thought it was Marte/Taillon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:57 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

What was that report again? I thought it was Marte/Taillon.

I believe it was one top 5 prospect, brad Lincoln or the draft pick, and a mid level type guy. If true, a very fair offer.