Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Even Nutting is Pissed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:33 pm 

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2606 ... z26ZhgQZXn
So if the Pirates do not make the playoffs, or do not at least make .500, who do you think loses their job? I think that either Huntington or Hurdle will have to lose their jobs after 2 epic collapses. It's not like they have a great excuse for this season's slide either! They haven't been hit with key/serious injuries.

Post subject: Re: Even Nutting is Pissed
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 pm 

he god damn well better should be. hes from pa. The fans want a winner. And we don't mean only the first half of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 am 

Ryann wrote:
So if the Pirates do not make the playoffs, or do not at least make .500, who do you think loses their job?

If cooler heads prevail, no one.

If stats/logic dictate, the pitching coach.

However, I still believe .500+ is attainable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 am 

Ryann wrote:
http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2606894-85/pirates-team-huntington-nutting-hurdle-game-games-manager-season-collapse#axzz26ZhgQZXn
So if the Pirates do not make the playoffs, or do not at least make .500, who do you think loses their job? I think that either Huntington or Hurdle will have to lose their jobs after 2 epic collapses. It's not like they have a great excuse for this season's slide either! They haven't been hit with key/serious injuries.

Since day 1 of the Huntington era the plan all along was 2013. Every time Neal and Frank spoke 2013 was the goal. Last I checked it isn't 2013 yet. Let's see where we are at the end of next year.

Everyone seems to forget that we are concluding a rebuild from the ground up that started in 2008.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:14 am 

rellimie wrote:
Everyone seems to forget that we are concluding a rebuild from the ground up that started in 2008.

No, just the yinzers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

Since day 1 of the Huntington era the plan all along was 2013. Every time Neal and Frank spoke 2013 was the goal. ... Let's see where we are at the end of next year.

S'pose they said 2015 was the 'goal', should we just shaddap til the end of the 2015 season? They get a pass til the end?

Last I checked it isn't 2013 yet.

You had to check?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:09 am 

Find me a quote where Huntington said 2013 was the goal. I don't believe he ever said that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Find me a quote where Huntington said 2013 was the goal. I don't believe he ever said that.

Completely made up bullshit pulled out of a posterior.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
rellimie wrote:

No, just the yinzers.

And anyone that has noticed other organizations go worst to first in less than 6 seasons.

BTW, I have never seen anyone in the organization mention 2013 as a goal. Most fans pointed to 2011 back in 2008.

Huntington's track record is average in almost every regard, I would not be upset if he was let go along with CH.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 am 

This may be the first time ever that Nutting and I feel the same about something.

NH's moves at the trade deadline, to me, were for the longer term rather than this year. He disassembled middle relief, which was the Buc's long suit, to acquire pieces for the future. If this wasn't part of ownership's plan, he should be gone. Those moves blew this year to smithereens.

Hopefully, they will pay dividends in the future, with or without NH and/or CH.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

He traded one guy and the entire pitching staff fell apart? I can't say that blew anything to smithereens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:02 pm 

Nutting will get a chance to put his money where his mouth is this off season. We'll see if he steps to the plate or pees his pants.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
rellimie wrote:

No, just the yinzers.

And anyone that has noticed other organizations go worst to first in less than 6 seasons.

It's easy to point out teams like the Rays, who, under Friedman, 'turned things around' in 3 years, but it's also easy to point out that they had the advantage of a decade worth of top picks (among other factors).

If the previous regime had taken Wieters over Moskos or if NH had taken say... Mike Trout over Tony Sanchez (or both), this squad would obviously be closer to playoff contention.

It's not NH's fault that Pedro Alvarez is not Evan Longoria. Of the 28 first rounders (non-compensations) chosen after TS, only Mike Minor, Trout, Drew Storen and Brett Jackson are significant ML contributors right now or the last 2 years. The mid-level contributors like Aaron Crow, Alex White, Mike Leake and A.J. Pollock would not have helped this team.

Besides, that's a lot of hindsight logic/reasoning. Pedro and TS filled needs within the organization. TS was a more questionable choice, but still projectable as a 2012/13 contributor. Plus, he still has potential value with this team.

All miscues aside, NH had this team in playoff contention. Say what you will about 'overachieving' or whatever you'd like, but this team was, flaws and all, in the middle to make a playoff run.

The failure of this team to stay in the playoff race is on the team and manager, not the GM.

Other than hypothesizing that NH could have made a trade for Chase Headley (which would have probably pissed off the loyal fanbase who believe in 'the plan'), he made significant enough moves to get this on-pace for 90 win [at the time] team in line for a playoff push.

So I say again: The failure of this team to stay in the playoff race is on the team and manager, not the GM.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
So I say again: The failure of this team to stay in the playoff race is on the team and manager, not the GM.

I disagree with the GMs theory of adding 3-5 crappy free agents on the cheap instead of over-paying for a star player and then filling in with minor league free agents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I disagree with the GMs theory of adding 3-5 crappy free agents on the cheap instead of over-paying for a star player and then filling in with minor league free agents.

Like playing monopoly and thinking you can win by buying Mediterainean and Baltic instead of Park Place and Boardwalk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Like playing monopoly and thinking you can win by buying Mediterainean and Baltic instead of Park Place and Boardwalk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. Do we know it was NH's strategy alone and not Nutting who wouldn't spend?
2. What alternative FA's were available to the Bucs (specifically at C and SS, since we all loathe the killer B's)?
3. Was there a realistic chance that said available FA's would sign with the Pirates?

Surely we're not going to use Ryann logic and believe that Jose Reyes and Albert Pujols could have been had, are we???

---

Look, NH isn't perfect. The Barmes signing was D+/C- at best and Barajas... just whatever there (it's arguably more Hurdle's fault for playing him over McKenry than NH for signing him).

But again, forgettable/regretable offseason or not, wasn't this team 58-42??? WTF happened which caused the TD to be the catalyst for the demise of the season?

How is it NH's fault that this team has only won 15 games since the end of July?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

No, just the yinzers.

It's easy to point out teams like the Rays, who, under Friedman, 'turned things around' in 3 years, but it's also easy to point out that they had the advantage of a decade worth of top picks (among other factors).

And your excuse for the Orioles, Nats and A's winning right now? There are many more examples of 3-4 year turnarounds.

I'm not killing NH here, just pointing out he's average, not great, but not terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 pm 

Ryann wrote:
http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2606894-85/pirates-team-huntington-nutting-hurdle-game-games-manager-season-collapse#axzz26ZhgQZXn

I'd fire whoever scouted Wandy and said, "boss, you need to acquire him. He could push us over the top."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

1. Do we know it was NH's strategy alone and not Nutting who wouldn't spend?
2. What alternative FA's were available to the Bucs (specifically at C and SS, since we all loathe the killer B's)?
3. Was there a realistic chance that said available FA's would sign with the Pirates?

Surely we're not going to use Ryann logic and believe that Jose Reyes and Albert Pujols could have been had, are we???

It is NH's fault for not having internal options at either position after 4 years and it is his fault for choosing to sign multiple low end FA's rather than one quality player. Its also his fault for giving away not one, but two MLB SS that are outproducing Barmes. He gave them away for nothing when they would have cost us the minimum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
And your excuse for the Orioles, Nats and A's winning right now? There are many more examples of 3-4 year turnarounds.

O's: Moskos over Wieters, the Bedard heist and luck. Not to mention they just had their first .500 season in how long? 3-4 year turnaround my foot.

Nats: Got the #1 pick back-to-back years when there was a superstar in each draft.

A's: When haven't these guys been rebuilding??? Billy Beane and co. make the Marlins look like the Yanks by comparison.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I'm not killing NH here, just pointing out he's average, not great, but not terrible.

I also concur that he's average. No debate there.

Calling for his head because of what happened since the TD is beyond debatable.

Firing NH because he's built a team which has improved vastly since he took over, but has still twice fallen apart down the stretch (debatable as to if that's his fault) seems kind of rash.

It would be a different story if this team had started 42-58 and was sneaking up to a possible 81+ win season. But that didn't happen.

Clearly there is enough talent to compete; easy schedule, hot streaks and whatever else be damned. Yes, it could always be better, but this teams failings the last two months this year has less to do with NH's GM'ing and more to do with the guys on the field f'ing up and the manager/coaches making bad decisions.