Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dilemma for Friday night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm 

About a month ago, Cousin JD's boss gave him four three rows behind the Astros dugout tickets and parking pass for his birthday. The last time the Pirates will be in Houston with the Astros as a National League team.

I stopped caring on Friday. After zipping through the DVR of the Cubs series in PNC Park, I never even watched the Reds series (I would have bet my mortgage on them losing every game), just deleted them, got home on Friday, deleted the Cubs game and cancelled all future games on the DVR I was done.

This baseball team has gotten too personal for me. I wasn't enjoying watching the games. I lost all faith in them. Even in the wins I never cracked a smile or enjoyed myself. I would sit there like a zombie just zipping through as the pitchers tossed batting practice, the bull pen blew leads and guys like Alvarez continued to fail in the clutch, while Josh Harrison and Brock Holt were in the lineup.

This baseball season had become one giant stomach ache (literally, I would be sick to my stomach even watching), my food and drink even tasted sour. I have too many important things on my plate than deal with this total loser of an organization of the last six weeks! It was obvious, they DIDN'T CARE. Why should I?

But then I heard they won last night, and as I was talking to JD this afternoon and it sounded like the Bucs had won or had a big lead. Well I go over to the site and even turn the game on and get to see the lovely sixth inning and the beautiful top of the seventh.

He wants to go to the game on Friday and I don't want to think about this reeking failure and the second collapse in two seasons. So I cam to a compromise.

I told him, I would attend if they were one game over .500 or better! I flat out refuse to watch that team play under .500 or lose to earn that ignominy.

Last game in Chicago tomorrow and then three against the Brewers. Looks like I won't be in Minute Maid this Friday, sad to say.

Post subject: Re: Dilemma for Friday night
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I planned on going to the game tomorrow night. I'm about 95% sure I'll find something better to do. It's not giving up on a team. It's not being a bandwagon fan. It'd be like 30 people telling you they just saw the worst movie they've ever seen but you still end up going to the movie, only to find out it really is a disaster. The Pirates are that box office bomb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 pm 

I follow professional sports for fun. Have watched son compete against upper-level competition as a pitcher, and daughter compete in NCAA finals on the platform.

Nothing stemming from watching a bunch of millionaires playing a children's game is remotely as difficult. If I don't enjoy the game, I change the channel. I like it when the Pirates play well and follow them. When they don't, I don't.

But attending in person is special. You may see the game that basically insures the Pirates wind up with a winning record.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:42 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I follow professional sports for fun. Have watched son compete against upper-level competition as a pitcher, and daughter compete in NCAA finals on the platform.

Nothing stemming from watching a bunch of millionaires playing a children's game is remotely as difficult. If I don't enjoy the game, I change the channel. I like it when the Pirates play well and follow them. When they don't, I don't.

But attending in person is special. You may see the game that basically insures the Pirates wind up with a winning record.

Bill Murray to Sgt. Hulka in STRIPES: "Then again maybe one of us won't."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
You may see the game that basically insures the Pirates wind up with a winning record.

I've seen four Pirates games at Wrigley this season. I've seen two wins and two loses. If the Pirates end up 81-81 I'll take the blame.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm 

I view following sports teams passionately to be an adolescent endeavor. When I was a lot younger, I lived and breathed sport, and I followed multiple teams with a do or die passion. Wins made my day, losses could ruin an entire week. But as I've gotten older, and hopefully matured, caring so much for a team seems to be an indulgent luxury. It's just a game. I coach soccer and I care far more for my girls' teams than any professional team. I like to talk sport, and thanks to the power of the internet, I can talk/read more about the Pirates (and my English soccer team, Arsenal) than I would ever be able to do in the relative isolation of Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Go to the game if it means you get to spend time with friends you care about. Odds are the Pirates are going to lose, given their past 6 weeks, and if that is going to ruin your day, by all means, stay at home. I wouldn't trade even a normal hum-drum day with my kids and wife for the despair I used to feel for a Buc's loss.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:47 pm 

I'm so sick of people telling me what kind of fan i am. If I don't watch every pitch etc. accept every loss with grace. Holier than thou. We take alot of time following our teams. As I pirate fan, I'm sick of hearing we are small market, we're young...etc. Want a winner!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 am 

Go to the game Corsair, it will be fun and the Bucs will win. Don't make it so hard on yourself. I have tickets for 4 of the final 6 at PNC and I'll be there having a great time with my family.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm 

ya go. itll be fun.