Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squeeze Play
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 am 

Not upset that they tried, but for god sake, why not take out an add and tell everyone what you are doing. Barmes stepped out of the box and took a long look at third, Nick went over and said something to Presley. I was watching with friends and all of us said "squeeze bunt."
The only angle I couldn't see was, did Presley tip the play by taking off too soon?

Post subject: Re: Squeeze Play
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 am 

Doesn't really matter. All that matters is Barmes failed to touch the ball. My High School coach benched me for 2 games once for failing to touch the ball on a suicide squeeze. He told me that NO MATTER WHAT, you must at least touch the ball with the bat. If it's a foul, then no harm. If you have to take 10 steps across the plate to touch the ball, and are called out for stepping out of the batter's box, then you did your job. Runner still on third.

Barmes needed to put the bat on the ball, regardless of how far outside it was. No excuse is good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

It certainly looked like he could have gotten the bat on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:51 pm 

IMOKRU wrote:
Not upset that they tried, but for god sake, why not take out an add and tell everyone what you are doing. Barmes stepped out of the box and took a long look at third, Nick went over and said something to Presley. I was watching with friends and all of us said "squeeze bunt."
The only angle I couldn't see was, did Presley tip the play by taking off too soon?

I told my son they better not squeeze here. Unbelievably obvious and with an 0-1 count (ideal for a pitch out.) I was thinking to myself no way they squeeze here. It's all just window dressing to get Cinci to throw a pitchout. Even in high school, our coach never went to the baserunners ear. We had an audible call and the runner touched his helmet to signal he had the play. Craziest thing I've seen this year.

All that said, like you guys said, it was a horrible pitchout that Barmes should've easily gotten his bat on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 pm 

It was no easy pitch to get a bat on. Well off the plate, plus it started even futher off the plate and was curving down and to the right.

Crucify Barmes if you want, but I blame Hurdle more for getting outsmarted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:03 pm 

I didn't understand it either. All they needed was a long fly ball. There was only one out. Poor execution by Barmes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:15 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
All they needed was a long fly ball.

We swing and miss more than any team in baseball..... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
It was no easy pitch to get a bat on. Well off the plate, plus it started even futher off the plate and was curving down and to the right.

Crucify Barmes if you want, but I blame Hurdle more for getting outsmarted.

You're right...saying it he should have easily gotten a bat on it is a bit of a stretch on my part. My intention was to put a little blame on Barmes and a lot on Hurdle. To be clear though, by saying to get a bat on it I meant to at least foul it off, not actually get the bunt down.