Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4901
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
At the beginning of the season if you were to tell me the Pirates would be 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'd be completely uninterested I'd call you insane. Well, it's September 12, the Pirates are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'm completely uninterested. I've never seen a collective group of teams not want to make the playoffs more than this bunch.

_________________
#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
IA Pirate wrote:
At the beginning of the season if you were to tell me the Pirates would be 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'd be completely uninterested I'd call you insane. Well, it's September 12, the Pirates are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'm completely uninterested. I've never seen a collective group of teams not want to make the playoffs more than this bunch.

What makes you think that they do not want to make the playoffs? Don't mistake losing with lack of effort or desire.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3616
Location: Economy, PA
It's a train wreck. How could you not watch?

I always watch multiple TV shows at one time. While I may now be spending more time watching the other shows, the Pirate game is still going to be one of the shows I'm watching if it's on.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4901
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Ralphie wrote:
It's a train wreck. How could you not watch?

I always watch multiple TV shows at one time. While I may now be spending more time watching the other shows, the Pirate game is still going to be one of the shows I'm watching if it's on.


Train wrecks are quick. This is like watching a loved one die of cancer.

_________________
#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
IA Pirate wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
It's a train wreck. How could you not watch?

I always watch multiple TV shows at one time. While I may now be spending more time watching the other shows, the Pirate game is still going to be one of the shows I'm watching if it's on.


Train wrecks are quick. This is like watching a loved one die of cancer.


A bit too far, it is after all, just a game.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4901
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Barrys Dopers wrote:
A bit too far, it is after all, just a game.


Just an analogy.

_________________
#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm
Posts: 1587
Willton wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
At the beginning of the season if you were to tell me the Pirates would be 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'd be completely uninterested I'd call you insane. Well, it's September 12, the Pirates are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'm completely uninterested. I've never seen a collective group of teams not want to make the playoffs more than this bunch.

What makes you think that they do not want to make the playoffs? Don't mistake losing with lack of effort or desire.


This looks like inspired baseball to you?

They look defeated. 7 errors in a game and being swept by the Cubs, doesn't exactly fall under the "giving it their all" umbrella.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:25 am
Posts: 478
VanSlick wrote:
Willton wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
At the beginning of the season if you were to tell me the Pirates would be 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'd be completely uninterested I'd call you insane. Well, it's September 12, the Pirates are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'm completely uninterested. I've never seen a collective group of teams not want to make the playoffs more than this bunch.

What makes you think that they do not want to make the playoffs? Don't mistake losing with lack of effort or desire.


This looks like inspired baseball to you?

They look defeated. 7 errors in a game and being swept by the Cubs, doesn't exactly fall under the "giving it their all" umbrella.


Agree to a degree, but it also comes from playing a hit-but no-field AAA call up at second (Holt), a poor fielding shortstop (Harrison) and a left fielder (also called up from AAA, albeit earlier) (Marte) in his first game after a 2 week injury. I was at that mess of the Cubs game and I really didn't sense it was poor effort or bad attitude but rather bad baseball by some guys who may not be quite ready.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2091
And that's exactly why they're not going to make it in this year no matter how lucky they continue to get by teams ahead of them that also continue to lose. I watch every game I can when its on TV. Right at the moment watching the pirates create excitement is agonizing. It's not happening. They have to many young players at key positions. The pitching has fallen back to earth, not getting runners in scoring position across, and they can't control a running game. Lots of other problems. Ain't happening. The future does hold promise though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2220
they look like the same team weve seen the last 19 years. everynight you can see them find a new way to screw up. they look hopeless.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:47 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3616
Location: Economy, PA
They are hopeless. With their mindset, hey have already resigned themselves to a loss before the first pitch is thrown.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ralphie wrote:
They are hopeless. With their mindset, hey have already resigned themselves to a loss before the first pitch is thrown.


Another mind reader.

They have lost 5 games by 6 total runs, its more bad luck than bad play. A clutch hit here, a converted double play there and they win. The lost last night on a wild pitch/passed ball combined with a ground out to 2B and back to back sac flies.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3616
Location: Economy, PA
The details vary from day to day, as does the margin of defeat. But they always find a way.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: This is nuts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
VanSlick wrote:
Willton wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
At the beginning of the season if you were to tell me the Pirates would be 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'd be completely uninterested I'd call you insane. Well, it's September 12, the Pirates are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and I'm completely uninterested. I've never seen a collective group of teams not want to make the playoffs more than this bunch.

What makes you think that they do not want to make the playoffs? Don't mistake losing with lack of effort or desire.


This looks like inspired baseball to you?

They look defeated. 7 errors in a game and being swept by the Cubs, doesn't exactly fall under the "giving it their all" umbrella.

No, the Pirates do not look like they are playing inspired baseball. But does it have to look inspired? Must the players wear their emotions on their sleeves? From my vantage point, all I see is bad baseball. But playing poorly is not indicative of lack of effort. I have no idea whether the players give a damn about winning, but I strongly suspect that they do.

You are a fan; ergo, your view comes from your seat at the stadium or the comfort of your living room. You have no idea what is going on amongst the players with respect to their desire to win. Just because they are losing does not mean they are apathetic. Unless you have inside information indicating that they are losing interest in the outcome of the season, do not assume that they do not care.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits