Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season downfall
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 am 

I think this season took its wicked downard spiral on Friday Aug. 10 when the Buccos blew a 7-1 and 8-7 lead to at the time the hapless Padres. I know we had a nice comeback win against them two days later but the team has not been anywhere near the same since that weekend (9-21) that game really sticks out to me.

Post subject: Re: Season downfall
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 am 

pitt1073 wrote:
I think this season took its wicked downard spiral on Friday Aug. 10 when the Buccos blew a 7-1 and 8-7 lead to at the time the hapless Padres. I know we had a nice comeback win against them two days later but the team has not been anywhere near the same since that weekend (9-21) that game really sticks out to me.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but holy cow, guys. Many here have been saying all year that this team is not a team who can sustain at 16 games over .500. The Bucs have played well over their pythagorean expectation all year now and are finally beginning to approach that number again. Cutch is playing like a mortal (you mean he can't sustain his June/July production all year?), Walker is hurt, and the pitching/defense have been average.

The downfall of the season isn't one play or one out or one inning, the downfall of this season was last offseason when the Bucs thought that Clint Barmes was acceptable at SS, moving on to this season when Mercer was red hot and sat on the bench for a month, moving on to post all star break when McD and AJ haven't been as dominant as they were in the first half.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, you guys. One play won't make the season and one play won't break the season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm 

pitt1073 wrote:

FYI, the Padres are not hapless. They have a 32-22 record since the AS break. That's impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm 

I was at that game. At the time JMac was still considered an ace. Hurdle left him in to give him every chance to win the game, but Headly hammered him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm 

Willton wrote:
pitt1073 wrote:

FYI, the Padres are not hapless. They have a 32-22 record since the AS break. That's impressive.

I agree that is why I said at the time the hapless Padres. They got real hot prior to the series with the buccos and moving forward since then. Both teams have gone in different directions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm 

This seaon's epitaphy was written with 2-10 against the Brewers and Padres.

Play even .400 ball in that series and we're not staring at the .500 mark breathing down our neck.

And gee, now we get three more games with the fucking Brewers.

Let's pencil in those three losses to put us at .500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm 

Corsair wrote:
And gee, now we get three more games with the Brewers. Let's pencil in those three losses to put us at .500

They've certainly had our number over the past decade, but I'm not ready to concede 3 losses to them yet. The frustration level on this board is understandable, and great posters like Corsair seem to be at wits end. No argument here. But, I can't give up just yet... this season has been too much fun (for the most part), and this being my first year on this great message board, I have enjoyed every minute of the insightful comments and friendly banter. We just HAVE to find a way to finish strong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 pm 

Willton wrote:
pitt1073 wrote:

You are right, Wilton - the Fathers have been very good after the ASB. Yet and still, I would agree that this loss took a lot of wind out of their sails.

And if there was any wind left, I'm afraid yesterday's loss took care of that.... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 am 

The season downfall was and is that we don't have enough good players. We have only one star player. We have one very good player in Walker. Jones is a 'solid' player but older. Arbitration and his solid numbers may take him. Pedro is borderline solid. His numbers are up there at his position but they all have seemed to have come in 25 or 30 of a 140 game season. The rest aren't MLB good. Some have shown potential and are young. Some are old and done.

The young may improve, but may not. The shit part is we have to figure out if half our starting 8, if not 6 out of 8 are real MLB players at the MLB players or pretenders.

The only real ML positions blatantly open are SS & C. Up to Bobby Nutting if we improve at either position.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 am 
 WWW  Profile

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
The season downfall was and is that we don't have enough good players. We have only one star player. We have one very good player in Walker. Jones is a 'solid' player but older. Arbitration and his solid numbers may take him. Pedro is borderline solid. His numbers are up there at his position but they all have seemed to have come in 25 or 30 of a 140 game season. The rest aren't MLB good. Some have shown potential and are young. Some are old and done.

The young may improve, but may not. The shit part is we have to figure out if half our starting 8, if not 6 out of 8 are real MLB players at the MLB players or pretenders.

The only real ML positions blatantly open are SS & C. Up to Bobby Nutting if we improve at either position.

I think it would be huge to go to an actual 8 man lineup from the current 6 players and 3 pitchers lineup we've trotted out for most of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

I think it would be huge to go to an actual 8 man lineup from the current 6 players and 3 pitchers lineup we've trotted out for most of the year.

I referred to the 7-8-9 spots as 'the black hole' all season long. If Barmes, Barajas were in the lineup in those spots it was pretty much 3 automatic outs. If those 3 spots got 4 at bats each game that would be 12 outs, out of 27, giving us only 15 outs to really do anything with.