Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What Makes a Good Manager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
I think the last two trade deadline years haven't yeilded much. They've done two things, they didn't bring in impact players and they shook up team chemistry. I guess we'll never know what the team before the all-star break could've done as opposed to what we have now.

So, I don't know if it's the manager or not. When a player doesn't come through in the clutch, is that on the manager? Pedro has shown games where he gets streaky. So we as fans know Pedro has it in him. Where does that streakiness go? Why can't there be more consistency with the power numbers from Pedro? Is that on the manager?

Was Wandy wearing down last night? The manager knows more than we do sitting from the couch. Fact is Hughes didn't come through. Who else were they bringing in there? Resop? Blown the last two game Grilli? I don't know.

I'm saying it's the players underperforming right now. No excuses. Clint Hurdle is a good manager, not great, but he's good. And he's a positive person. Someone strict I'd say, but positive. Just what a young team needs.

Here this now. I think this team is sliding because in the back of there hearts they know what happened last year and they're letting it get to them. Putting unadded pressure on themselves. Thie team shouldn't have the worst record in the league since the allstar break.

Gotta disagree about tis trade deadline, we added three big upgrades over what we were playing in the first half.

Wandy - 3.57 ERA 1.23 WHIP as a Pirate, much better than Correia
Snider - .265/.354/.367, more than 150 ops points better than our LF production from Tabata/Presley
Gaby - .270/.357/.446, more than 125 points better ops than McGehee

The collapse has happened despite the upgrades, not because of them. Chemistry is a myth. Good chemistry comes from winning, not having good guys on the bench. The collapse has required failings from every aspect of the team. I put some of this on Hurdle, largely because I feel we were winning in spite of his poor strategy/coaching early on, but now the gaffes are killing us. Things like base running and bullpen management are certainly on Hurdle. Also, how is Gregg Ritchie still employed?

Also...you shouldn't need any huge mid-season upgrades to avoid being swept by the damn Cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 am 

Philly and Milwaukee were big sellers at the deadline and they are playing better now.

It's all about pressure and how you handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:27 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Philly and Milwaukee were big sellers at the deadline and they are playing better now.

It's all about pressure and how you handle it.

And coming together as a team/'believing in each other'.

Somewhere after the break this team either started believing a little to hard in Zoltan, stopped believing at all, or... I don't know.

The results speak for themselves though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:47 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
And coming together as a team/'believing in each other'.

Hence the Navy SEALS situation......I think it is great.... 8-) 8-) 8-)