Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any regrets...Taillon vs Machado
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:00 am 

Manny Machado has now been up for 28 games for the O's. He is batting .282 with 4 HR's and 14 RBI's...OPS just under .800 (at .797). While he has played primarily 3B, he still projects long term as a SS.

My question to you...even with Jameson Taillon pitching well, do you regret the Pirates decision to go with the high upside HS pitcher over the high upside SS?

While it isn't all that good to play Monday morning QB on this, I am just curious to what everyone's thoughts are.

For me, the relative depth in pitching prospects and relative void in middle infield prospects (particularly at SS) make me wish that we had selected Machado. Having said that, as conservative as the Bucs are with their prospects Machado would probably still be at Bradenton or Altoona, not in the big leagues.

Post subject: Re: Any regrets...Taillon vs Machado
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:07 am 

No. I think taillon is going to be special. Big strong right handed. Same with Cole.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:17 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Manny Machado has now been up for 28 games for the O's. He is batting .282 with 4 HR's and 14 RBI's...OPS just under .800 (at .797). While he has played primarily 3B, he still projects long term as a SS.

My question to you...even with Jameson Taillon pitching well, do you regret the Pirates decision to go with the high upside HS pitcher over the high upside SS?

While it isn't all that good to play Monday morning QB on this, I am just curious to what everyone's thoughts are.

For me, the relative depth in pitching prospects and relative void in middle infield prospects (particularly at SS) make me wish that we had selected Machado. Having said that, as conservative as the Bucs are with their prospects Machado would probably still be at Bradenton or Altoona, not in the big leagues.

No. What depth?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 am 

rellimie wrote:
No. What depth?

Taillon, Cole, Heredia, McPherson, J. Wilson, Locke, Holmes, Irwin.

The first three being in MLB's Top 100 prospects...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
rellimie wrote:
No. What depth?

At the time Taillon was drafted, Cole and Heredia weren't in the system, Locke and Wilson were years away (and odds weren't on their side). So I think both pitching and MI were very shallow in our system.

I preferred Machado at the time because of the lesser risk in HS position players vs. pitchers. But pitching is the coin of the realm in MLB, so if he stays healthy, I think Taillon will prove to be worthy of the pick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:46 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:

Too early to make the call or express any regret. While pitching is more important than middle defense, major leaguers are more important than minor leaguers. I've watched enough of the Orioles since Machado has been called up to think he belongs, though I haven't seen him play any SS. I didn't even know he was projected there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
rellimie wrote:
No. What depth?

Cole and Heredia weren't here at the time.

Also, the chances of all 3 of those guys turning out to be aces are slim. Out of those 3 you will have 1 ace and 1 really good pitcher and 1 bust; that's what the odds show. M

As for McPherson Locke and Wilson. 2 relievers and a 4th starter. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:06 pm 

Should have taken Hosmer over Pedro... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:09 pm 

I don't know who I would rather have; that's of no consequence. But I do think that Taillon is the best pitching prospect we have in our system and will turn out to be an ace.