Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Screw the Playoffs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Willton wrote:
Wrong. Read what Charlie wrote: he said that the Pirates "clearly have a chance, and anyone who says otherwise is reacting emotionally." There is a difference between something being improbable and something not having a chance of coming to fruition. The Pirates may be unlikely to make the playoffs, but they are not out of it. And yes, saying that the Pirates are out of it entirely (or "dead in the water", to use your term) is indeed reacting emotionally, not rationally.

I agree that the Bucs need to improve both their pitching and hitting in order to improve their chances of making the postseason; that is beyond question. But that does not mean that the current squad is out of it.

OK...looking at the STATS, yes the Pirates still have a chance because they haven't been mathematically eliminated. I've been watching since the all star break, and I'm telling you they are "dead in the water". I'm sorry, that is not reacting emotionally. That is REALISM from what has happened the second half of the season.

I'm with you PP, acting emotionally is saying we are the worst team in MLB after being swept by the Cubs at home or saying we are a WS contender back in early July based on Cutch's/Walker's hot streak 16-6 stretch. The reality has been clear for the bulk of 139 games. Reality is that we are an average team that is better than 2011 and way better than 2010.

Its not being emotional to look at 40-50 games of data and declare we cannot gain 2 1/2 games on the Cardinals. It is emotional to blindly expect a turnaround to save the day. Do you give up hope, of course not, but hope is tied to emotion not logic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 pm 

It will be weird to see Nate Mc Louth, Casey Mc Gehee, Steve Pearce, etc.. in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

As far as I'm concerned McClouth is a no good back stabbing traitor. The Pirates did him a big favor by giving him the contract he got. He rewarded them by going to Baltimore's AAA club to get straightened out instead of ours, and is playing well for them while collecting his paycheck from us.