Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Screw the Playoffs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I just don't know how this can happen to a major league team. Especially two years in a row. I have my doubts that they'll even finish 500.

A contending team doesn't have a scrub like Barajas as your starting catcher. I'm telling you there has to be someone better in the minor leagues.

We do need walker back. But seems a little late now. Remind me next year to not get caught up in false hope. Even if they are in first place.

I'd like to post a little thing that Charlie Wilmoth posted on Bucs Dugout:

Quote:
Remember April 14, when the Pirates were 2-7, had already been one-hit and two-hit, and had scored just 14 runs total? They pulled it together and improved. Remember June 15, when they got shut out by Justin Masterson and the Indians, just after being swept by the Orioles? Well, Pedro Alvarez hit two homers in a 9-2 victory the next day, and the Bucs didn't lose another series until mid-July. Remember how the Pirates had a .618 OPS in April and a .617 OPS in May? Who would have predicted they would hit 39 homers in June, and then do it again in July?

The ups and downs of a season are unpredictable. So if the Pirates are two games, or two and a half games, out of a playoff spot with three and a half weeks to play, they clearly have a chance, and anyone who says otherwise is reacting emotionally. Again, that's not optimism. That's a fact. Will the Pirates go to the playoffs? Probably not. Do they deserve to go to the playoffs? Not really. But if the math says they're clearly in it, then they're in it. We don't know what's going to happen. An Alvarez / Andrew McCutchen outburst could be just around the corner. The Pirates' patchwork rotation doesn't give them a great shot, but with three and a half weeks left, stranger things have happened than a patchwork rotation pitching decently over a short stretch of games.

If the Cubs series leaves you feeling deflated, I can't blame you. I feel the same way. The Pirates aren't playing well, and no Bucs fan likes to see that. But it's quite a leap from there to the idea that they have no chance. They plainly have a chance.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2012/9/9/3306 ... thats-math

Welcome to the game of baseball, ladies and gentlemen. Weird stuff happens in a short series of games. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and realize that (1) we've witnessed a tremendous turnaround from the Pittsburgh Pirates from the past 19 years, and (2) it's not over yet. We're still in this until Game 162.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 pm 

That's a stupid piece. Of course they have a chance...mathematically. He then admits they probably won't make the playoffs. And they won't. Once again...they have played bad baseball since the all star break. Incredibly bad for a couple stretches.

So of course they are mathematically alive. We all know crazy things happen. But this team is dead in the water...just not enough talent. That's just being realistic, not emotional.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:32 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I just don't know how this can happen to a major league team. Especially two years in a row. I have my doubts that they'll even finish 500.

A contending team doesn't have a scrub like Barajas as your starting catcher. I'm telling you there has to be someone better in the minor leagues.

We do need walker back. But seems a little late now. Remind me next year to not get caught up in false hope. Even if they are in first place.

Better hitter maybe but ability to call a game no. Not saying Barajas is a great game caller but I certainly wouldn't trust a rookie to do it. McKenry struggles with it sometimes. Why do you think AJ wants Barajas when he pitches.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
That's a stupid piece. Of course they have a chance...mathematically. He then admits they probably won't make the playoffs. And they won't. Once again...they have played bad baseball since the all star break. Incredibly bad for a couple stretches.

So of course they are mathematically alive. We all know crazy things happen. But this team is dead in the water...just not enough talent. That's just being realistic, not emotional.

I agree that there's not enough talent. It took a career year type season from McCutchen and a best of all time type season from the bullpen, as well as two pitchers having their best halves to put us on the path to the playoffs. We're not getting that production from Cutch, the bullpen, MacDonald or AJ and the rest of the team hasn't stepped up. If Walker and Pedro are the second and third best hitters in your lineup, you're not going to make the playoffs. They need to be the 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th best hitters if you're talking playoffs. I have no idea whatsoever whether or not Marte or Snider can make the leap to be that kind of elite hitter, but until they do, or the team brings in another serious bat behind McCutchen, we're more likely to see August baseball than June baseball for the Buccos.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 am 

24-30 since the All-star break, its sure seems worse than that.

13-23 since August 1st, .361 baseball.

23 games to go and all could be won or all could be lost. All being playoffs, winning season, Cutch batting title, Cutch MVP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am 

PirateParrot wrote:

Just because something isn't probable does not mean that it is not possible. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a swooning wild card contender suddenly comes alive and takes a playoff spot. Crazier things have happened.

Welcome to the sport of baseball, where giant swings in performance are the norm. It is far too early to write this team off as a mere also-ran. I'm certainly not confident that we will win a playoff spot under the circumstances, but I am also not cynical enough to call this team dead in the water when they are a mere 2.5 games out of the 2nd wild card with 23 games left to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:24 am 

Willton wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Just because something isn't probable does not mean that it is not possible. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a swooning wild card contender suddenly comes alive and takes a playoff spot. Crazier things have happened.

Welcome to the sport of baseball, where giant swings in performance are the norm. It is far too early to write this team off as a mere also-ran. I'm certainly not confident that we will win a playoff spot under the circumstances, but I am also not cynical enough to call this team dead in the water when they are a mere 2.5 games out of the 2nd wild card with 23 games left to go.

Look, they need to improve their play greatly for the last 2 weeks just to make .500. Yes, they still could make the playoffs. We could all get hit by a bus today too. My point was that he was accusing people of being emotional in saying that this team wasn't going to make the playoffs. People saying that have just been paying attention since the All Star break. BD listed the numbers above, and keep in mind the level of competition was supposed to give us a big advantage the second half. Bottom line, and we all know it, they need more hitters and more pitchers. Getting closer, but still a good deal of work left to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Look, they need to improve their play greatly for the last 2 weeks just to make .500. Yes, they still could make the playoffs. We could all get hit by a bus today too. My point was that he was accusing people of being emotional in saying that this team wasn't going to make the playoffs. People saying that have just been paying attention since the All Star break. BD listed the numbers above, and keep in mind the level of competition was supposed to give us a big advantage the second half. Bottom line, and we all know it, they need more hitters and more pitchers. Getting closer, but still a good deal of work left to do.

Wrong. Read what Charlie wrote: he said that the Pirates "clearly have a chance, and anyone who says otherwise is reacting emotionally." There is a difference between something being improbable and something not having a chance of coming to fruition. The Pirates may be unlikely to make the playoffs, but they are not out of it. And yes, saying that the Pirates are out of it entirely (or "dead in the water", to use your term) is indeed reacting emotionally, not rationally.

I agree that the Bucs need to improve both their pitching and hitting in order to improve their chances of making the postseason; that is beyond question. But that does not mean that the current squad is out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 am 

The way I feel right now, I have a hard time believing we are going to win 2 more games yet alone 10.

The last time I said that was right before we went out and won our next 2. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:41 pm 

Willton wrote:
Wrong. Read what Charlie wrote: he said that the Pirates "clearly have a chance, and anyone who says otherwise is reacting emotionally." There is a difference between something being improbable and something not having a chance of coming to fruition. The Pirates may be unlikely to make the playoffs, but they are not out of it. And yes, saying that the Pirates are out of it entirely (or "dead in the water", to use your term) is indeed reacting emotionally, not rationally.

I agree that the Bucs need to improve both their pitching and hitting in order to improve their chances of making the postseason; that is beyond question. But that does not mean that the current squad is out of it.

OK...looking at the STATS, yes the Pirates still have a chance because they haven't been mathematically eliminated. I've been watching since the all star break, and I'm telling you they are "dead in the water". I'm sorry, that is not reacting emotionally. That is REALISM from what has happened the second half of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Willton wrote:

OK...looking at the STATS, yes the Pirates still have a chance because they haven't been mathematically eliminated. I've been watching since the all star break, and I'm telling you they are "dead in the water". I'm sorry, that is not reacting emotionally. That is REALISM from what has happened the second half of the season.

I'm with you PP, acting emotionally is saying we are the worst team in MLB after being swept by the Cubs at home or saying we are a WS contender back in early July based on Cutch's/Walker's hot streak 16-6 stretch. The reality has been clear for the bulk of 139 games. Reality is that we are an average team that is better than 2011 and way better than 2010.

Its not being emotional to look at 40-50 games of data and declare we cannot gain 2 1/2 games on the Cardinals. It is emotional to blindly expect a turnaround to save the day. Do you give up hope, of course not, but hope is tied to emotion not logic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 pm 

It will be weird to see Nate Mc Louth, Casey Mc Gehee, Steve Pearce, etc.. in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:51 pm 

As far as I'm concerned McClouth is a no good back stabbing traitor. The Pirates did him a big favor by giving him the contract he got. He rewarded them by going to Baltimore's AAA club to get straightened out instead of ours, and is playing well for them while collecting his paycheck from us.