Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goats and Stars for 09/07
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:55 am 

BRUTAL. HORRIBLE. But you know what?? I look at the paper this morning, here on September 8, 2012, and see my Pittsburgh Pirates just 1.5 games out of a playoff spot. How exciting!!!! Let me say that, while it was horrible sitting and watching that ordeal last night, I did get a chance to see one of the most amazing catches I have ever seen in my lifetime of watching baseball. I will be Brett Jackson fan for life. For him to go after that ball like he did, with a huge lead his team had showed me something. To me, it would not have mattered if he hung on or not. Hanging on was lucky. Effort was the same either way. Great catch! Now, onto the task at hand. Oh, and one last thing...for the longest time, I was worried that I was going to have to give the stars to the guys that did not make any errors. With only one hit and no runs for such a long time, and all those errors, that was my thought!

STARTER: Burnett muddled through another one. The defense did not help him out much, but he gave up 8 hits and a walk in 5 ininngs, to go with 7 runs, 3 earned. Bad start. Funny, when Burnett left the field, the fans cheered. I know they appreciate what he has done for us this year, but they REALLY cheered. Then I realized that Barajas was leaving the game too!

LOSER: AJ took the loss to drop to 15-6, 3.68 ERA.

GOAT: Lots of candidates for goat. Holt and Marte each made 2 errors, resulting in some runs. Harrison, Barajas, and Sanchez made errors at critical times. Except for Barajas, they all at least did a little something to redeem themselves. Unfortunately, even though he got no help from his defense, I have to give the goat to Burnett. He just did not get the job done, which ultimately, hurt us more than anything.

Honorable Mention: Want to give just a little kudos to McPherson who worked the final two innings of a horrible game, giving up just one hit and no runs.

STAR #3: Leroux comes in with bases loaded and no outs in the 5th. Gets out of it with 2 Ks and a fly out, with no further damage. He also worked into the 6th and gave up 2 unearned runs, but was not his fault at all. He gave us 1.2 innings with no earned runs.

STAR #2: Pedro goes 1-3 with a double and a walk. He breaks up the No-hitter, and he is the only infielder without an error!

STANDINGS
Cutch 112
Alvarez 87
Burnett 82
GJones 80.5
Walker 69
McDonald 62.5
McKenry 51.5
Correia 48.5
Barmes 41.5
Tabata 38
Harrison 36.5
Presley 35
Barajas 34.5
Karstens 31
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 27.5
Hughes 27.25
McGehee 27
Bedard 25.5
Grilli 24.75
Watson 21.25
Cruz 17.50
Marte 17
Sanchez 16.5
Snider 15.5
Resop 13.5
WRod 11.5
Hague 10
Mercer 7.5
Sutton 7
Morton 4.5
Qualls 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
McPherson 3.5
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Holt 2.5
Hernandez 1.5
Wilson 1.0
Leroux 1.0
Takahashi 0.5
DCutch -(2.0)
Locke -(2.0)

STAR #1: With just one hit in one at bat, a double, plus a run and an RBI, plus saving us from Barajas, the Fort gets the #1 star.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goats and Stars for 09/07
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 pm 

id have to give it barajas. this guy is just the ultimate suck package. cant hit, poor defense. why is he still on the roster.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goats and Stars for 09/07
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:33 pm 

I don't think I can goat AJ. Yes 8 hits, yes 7 runs. But only 3 earned and he really did pitch out of the jams, his D just didn't make the outs he gave them.

The thing is our D had 7 errors and our O had 1 hit against Travis F'n Wood, yet AJ is the goat. I actually feel bad for AJ more than I blame him.