Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i know they don't mean to suck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:23 pm 

but, our pirates are indeed sucking big time, and it is a real shame because these pirates have seen this city rally behind the success of the steelers and penguins, they have had a nice taste of what its like to play in front of a sellout crowd because of baseball and not firewords. They have positioned themselves to actually not be swept aside in september for the first time in 3 decades...but because of how they have played for the better part of a month, they are letting all that slip away and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I appreciate the way they played in june and july, and for the first 3 almost 4 months of the year they were in just about every game win or lose, there was the aj burnett game in st louis and maybe another one or two that were blowouts but just about every game up to late july was close and well played.

Ever since then though, they have played very bad baseball that is frustrating to watch. You think they hit rock bottom but then they seem to hit another low, the first series loss to chicago in july was bad but you figured oh well, then we went into houston and played bad baseball for four games, even with taking 3 out of 4 it was starting to feel a little uneasy, and sure enough, we have been playing horrible baseball since, outside of the world champion cardinals, we have looked tired, and old over the past month and it truly ashame because we have alot of young guys unlike many teams who constantly win with seasoned veterans.

The Pirates could have really made this town crazy about baseball in mid september heading into october, but instead they will now have to again take a back seat to the steelers.....the worst part of all this is that next year when we are in early july with a record 20 games over .500, these players will have doubt in the back of their heads thinking that not only did they have a dreadful end of the season in 2011 but by the looks of it they are going to have another collapse in 2012. This limping to the finish line year after year cannot be good for a teams psyche.

Post subject: Re: i know they don't mean to suck
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

batterup wrote:
The Pirates could have really made this town crazy about baseball in mid september heading into october, but instead they will now have to again take a back seat to the steelers.....the worst part of all this is that next year when we are in early july with a record 20 games over .500, these players will have doubt in the back of their heads thinking that not only did they have a dreadful end of the season in 2011 but by the looks of it they are going to have another collapse in 2012. This limping to the finish line year after year cannot be good for a teams psyche.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this or next season yet.

Nor do I think that these lulls will 'kill their confidence' come every August/September.

In fact, I think it might (or should) lead to lighting a fire under their ass.

Until said fire is lit though, it will be frustrating to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 pm 

Nay, the bucs have no buisness being 1.5 games the way they've played. It is frustrating to watch this type of loss tonight against the cubs and its all magnified because of how they've played the last month and more. Really, who thought or hoped this team was back on track because of two wins to close out a series against the worst team in baseball? Finish was the motto, they're not finishing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:33 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
...its all magnified because of how they've played the last month and more.

There seems to be a growing sentiment of this going around, as if the Bucs were just 'playing over their heads'.

I get it, as they did hit a rather large 'hot streak' for a month or so there, but this team was playing solid baseball for 100 games. They were 58-42 after the century mark. This wasn't just a team playing one good month of baseball. This squad was solid for nearly 2/3 of the season.

Something has happened since then though (and/or once July ended, starting game 104).

Their first 100 games the Bucs lost 42 games, but only 15 by more than 3 runs.

Since game 100 they've lost 9 by 3+ runs (and since 105, 7 games by 3+ runs). That's more than a 1/3 of their 'bad' losses coming since game 101 and nearly 1/3 since game 104.

This isn't a case of the team 'returning to norm' after having 'played over their heads', this is a team falling off of a cliff.

The Bucs are not only losing at a higher clip than the first 100 games, but losing by a far worse margin [annually] than the previous 2/3 of the season.

As such, I don't think it's fair to say that this team is, on the whole, as bad as these last 32-37 games (depending on if you count from game 100 or game 104 after July). They might not be as good as they were the first 100, but this drop off is something more.

If sample size means anything, this team is probably closer to the 58-42 squad than the current 14-23 one we've seen over the last month+ now.

They should bounce back, it's just a matter of when and if this lull will have doomed their postseason chances.

Only if this team should continue this pathetic play down the stretch should we begin to question how good this Pirates team is/was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:15 am 

Growing pains..... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:00 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Growing pains..... 8-) 8-)

Word.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:53 am 

Pitching

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am 

Defense, throwing out base runners, opponent's first inning runs, al the above. I was hitting golf balls into the darkness, unsure, yet confident.