Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 09-07-2012: Cubs (51-86) at Pirates (72-64)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:14 am 

BBF wrote:
Knowing the Judge's history, this might be the most unintentionally funny post in the history of the UPPMB.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:16 am 

You know, players have "off nights". But when a team commits 7 errors and your best starter shits the bed, it's not a good sign.

I fear the fold is here. Just piss poor. No other way to put it.

Home game against a HORRIBLE Cubs team and a chance to step up in the race. This is NOT a playoff team and it makes me sad to type that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
So, what's the Judge's history? I tried googling it, came up empty.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate ... msign2.asp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:32 am 

Judge Landis wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
So, what's the Judge's history? I tried googling it, came up empty.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate ... msign2.asp

Great story, I think Huntington is doing okay. He must be, haven't seen any signs hanging lately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 am 

We on the board also sent sheets and banners to the Judge back in the 3RS days voicing displeasure. Still have any photos of that Judge? Show the button bucks... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:57 am 

Last edited by Clevelandsux on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We on the board also sent sheets and banners to the Judge back in the 3RS days voicing displeasure. Still have any photos of that Judge? Show the button bucks... 8-) 8-) 8-)

No ... that particular stunt never got any ink. Got some nice feedback from some fans there that day, though, including an inebriated guy who kept insisting that Bertie was a great American, despite our insistance otherwise. ;)

Of course, a couple of economically-Darwinist Yankee fans had to come over and harass us, too, just to be trolls. Speaking of undesirables ...

Clevelandsux wrote:
the judge is a total jerk. cant stand him.blocked him.

... Well, then, I guess it won't hurt his feelings if I posit here that this dude has got to be the single least intelligent guy I've ever encountered on this board. And I lived through the Gary Era, so that's really saying something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 am 

VanSlick wrote:
You know, players have "off nights". But when a team commits 7 errors and your best starter shits the bed, it's not a good sign.

Home game against a HORRIBLE Cubs team and a chance to step up in the race. This is NOT a playoff team and it makes me sad to type that.

It's been apparent to me for a while that we are not a playoff team. And I'm OK with that. It took a career half-year from McCutchen, one of the best years, all-time, from our bullpen, and remarkably great health to have a team that had peaked and was about to fall behind a rampant Reds team. And then we had a trade deadline that didn't bring in much for this year's pennant race. All that adds up to a team that's playing like we are right now: poorly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33 am 

VanSlick wrote:

The thing is though, our starter didn't really shit the bed, the defense did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 am 

It bothers me also when people assume that a team playing poorly doesn't care or is not trying.

Aside from the normal competitive desire to win, and the all accolades and benefits that come with winning, these guys have a very real and tangible reason to perform well, in the form of literally millions of dollars. Of course they are trying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:29 am 

It's a shame to see that here it is, September 8th, and we sit just 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot... A PLAYOFF SPOT, DAMMIT!...and so many fans have given up.

To be honest, I am disappointed and ashamed. Of course, a lot of these fans will jump back ON the wagon should be Bucs win 7 or 8 out of 10.

As I said before, until we are 10 games out, with 9 games left, I will have hope and faith. And even then, at that point, I will contratulate the team and thank them for a fantastic season that has kept me excited, watching meaningful baseball for the first time in 20 years.

Go Bucs!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am 

Animal wrote:
It's a shame to see that here it is, September 8th, and we sit just 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot... A PLAYOFF SPOT, DAMMIT!...and so many fans have given up.

To be honest, I am disappointed and ashamed. Of course, a lot of these fans will jump back ON the wagon should be Bucs win 7 or 8 out of 10.

As I said before, until we are 10 games out, with 9 games left, I will have hope and faith. And even then, at that point, I will contratulate the team and thank them for a fantastic season that has kept me excited, watching meaningful baseball for the first time in 20 years.

Go Bucs!

Nobody is jumping off the wagon...just being realistic. They haven't played good ball since the all star break. They have looked downright awful for some stretches. I saw a stat that since August 9, the Pirates and Astros have the worst records. That's not playoff baseball. They are still in the hunt because the other teams haven't seized the day either, and because of June and July.

I root harder than anyone, and surely hope they get hot and make it. Realistically, I just don't see it. They just aren't quite there yet. Be thrilled to be wrong on this one...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:13 pm 

Of course I will always follow the team and root for the team, but there's no way I can be excited about being only x number of games out of a playoff spot when they are playing this poorly.

I'll get excited when we have a team that is capable of playing well under pressure. We don't have that yet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Animal wrote:

Go Bucs!

Nobody is jumping off the wagon...just being realistic. They haven't played good ball since the all star break. They have looked downright awful for some stretches. I saw a stat that since August 9, the Pirates and Astros have the worst records. That's not playoff baseball. They are still in the hunt because the other teams haven't seized the day either, and because of June and July.

I root harder than anyone, and surely hope they get hot and make it. Realistically, I just don't see it. They just aren't quite there yet. Be thrilled to be wrong on this one...

That can't be right. The bucs are only 1.5 games back. We're better than Houston.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:28 pm 

Animal wrote:

Go Bucs!

Yes, you are right about the 'bigger picture' and I, too, still believe that the playoffs are a realistic outcome.

My only frustration here, and maybe it's just because I've had waaaaaaaay too many 'suicide prevention' courses in my short life, is that this squad is... I mean, WTF happened?

The season is not over by any means, but from 58-42 to 14-23... I mean, that 14-23 pace is equivalent to 61 wins in a season.

I know the Bucs are not that bad.

For 100 contests this team was eating lightning and crapping thunder, then game #101 came and they've seem to have... well, it's just not there. Quite inexplicably, actually (injuries and fatigue are part of the game, every team has a bad week, there is no excuse for this poor level of play for this long).

It's hard not to begin to ask questions, not because I think this team 'sucks' or 'is done', but because we all saw how good they are/can be and want them to maintain that.

At this point, I'm more in the mindset of, 'Are you okay Bucs? You want to talk about something on your mind? What's the matter, guys?' because something isn't right, I don't know why and it's really a bad time for this team to have a 'bout of depression'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:47 pm 

The difference between the Old Judge and the New Judge is that the Old Judge would have been enraged and/or despondent over last night's game and done copious amounts of teeth-gnashing on the board as a result.

The New Judge, on the other hand, got up in the 6th inning, walked over to the Hall of Fame Club and waited in line to get an autograph from Bob Robertson. A lady I work with was an obsessive fan of Robertson's back in the day; she used to always sit on the first base side at 3RS so that she could stalk him. Bob was amused to no end when I told him that story. It was a nice end to a putrid night at the ballpark.

I tell you what, I have never seen so many horny women in their 50's and 60's in my life as there were in that autograph line.

Attachments:
Judge and Bob Robertson.jpg
Judge and Bob Robertson.jpg [ 57.67 KiB | Viewed 138 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:34 pm 

funny i got grilled by jason grille on his facebook page. i think i was drunk or something. i made reference to how bad they have stunk recently.

he replied something about being the bandwagon fan from major league. i told him ive been a pirate fan my whole life and just want to see a winner.then i look at his career. hes played for half a dozen teams and half adozen minor league send downs.

i think he might not understand our pain.