Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Farm system looks good...new Top 100 prospects list out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm 

Our Bucs have 6 in the top 100!

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120905&content_id=37952772&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

Hanson and Polanco join the list after their great seasons in WV.

Post subject: Re: Farm system looks good...new Top 100 prospects list out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:25 pm 

We had this kind of argument this past winter when ranks came out and I tried to make the point that timing has a lot to do with this type of ranking. I, and others, predicted we would rank higher this year simply due to teh fact that our best prospects would no graduate to the majors this year. I'd prefer a top talent 25 and under ranking that way you get the best young talent regardless of level. I'll take 6 top 100, plus Bell and some very good years from a lot of useful arms. Someone at BA remarked this week that we are one of the most improved systems in MLB this year. I'm hoping that NH and crew are figuring out the whole projectible RHP thing after some swings and misses early on. We also seem to be doing well with international hitting talent with some nice players at Bradenton to hopefully breakout in 2013.

BTW, Kevin Goldstein had been promising a 25 and under ranking list, but now that he took a job with the Astros front office, it'll be up to someone else at BP or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:29 pm 

The Dominican Academy is really looking like it is starting to pay off. Marte, Hanson, Polanco, Garcia, Osuna...looking good. It would be nice to see some pitchers come out of there, but beggars can't be choosers!

While he didn't make the Top 100, Alex Dickerson is the #5 ranked First Baseman (doesn't it seem like 1B'man always rank low on prospect lists). He could be in Pittsburgh by 2014.

The future looks bright....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:20 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
The Dominican Academy is really looking like it is starting to pay off. Marte, Hanson, Polanco, Garcia, Osuna...looking good. It would be nice to see some pitchers come out of there, but beggars can't be choosers!

While he didn't make the Top 100, Alex Dickerson is the #5 ranked First Baseman (doesn't it seem like 1B'man always rank low on prospect lists). He could be in Pittsburgh by 2014.

Maybe Rene Gayo should be our new GM :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

Maybe Rene Gayo should be our new GM :shock:

He was pretty much vilified in the recent book on baseball in the Dominican. Title slips my mind. He was looked upon as being part of the system that created a real monster with that sport down there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:33 am 

I like the way our minor league teams are winning for a change. Indy was more than 30 games over .500. Altoona managed to slip over .500 after being below most of the year. West Virginia got close to .500 after an abysmal start. All the other teams were at least decent.

By the way Gerritt Clole got pummelled last night in the AAA playoffs. 8 earned in 2 innings I think. We lost 15-14 and are down 0-2 in the series.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm 

Interestingly enough, none of the guys the Pirates traded to the Astros are on their Top 20 list, which does include guys they got in trades during this season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 pm 

J.D. wrote:
Interestingly enough, none of the guys the Pirates traded to the Astros are on their Top 20 list, which does include guys they got in trades during this season.

Grossman is surprising to be excluded, but Owens and Cain haven't pitched well since the trade. Owens is missing a good opportunity with their MLB rotation so depleted.