Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1978
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:18 pm 

I hate to sound like an old geezer (and even more than that I hate being an old geezer) but I remember in 1978 the Bucs had gotten trounced by the Phillies 10-3 to fall 5 games back on September 11, and afterwards Chuck Tanner famously said something like this - "Sometimes what seems like the end isn't the end at all. Sometimes it's just the beginning". The Bucs went on to win 14 of their last 18, and nearly catch the Phils, falling 1.5 games short. I keep hoping that something like that will happen with this team - they gave us a great summer, and a lot of great moments to remember, and I hate to see it ending like this. I'd love to see them suck it up and put together one more hot streak this year, whether it gets them in the play-offs or not. But I think their talent has taken them as far as it can, and they are out of gas.

Of course, that '78 team had Stargell, Parker, Garner, Blyleven, The Candy Man, Teke - I just don't see this team having the horses to pull us out of this tailspin.

Post subject: Re: 1978
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:21 pm 

That's why I am keeping the faith Scrap Iron. Until this team is X games out of contention with X-1 games left, I am going to have hope!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If that makes next year 1979, I'll take it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
If that makes next year 1979, I'll take it.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am 

Milo Hamilton's greatest calls in Pittsburgh came in both games of a doubleheader against the Phillies. The Bucs were 3.5 games back and needed to sweep the Phillies. The Bucs won both games of the Friday night doubleheader in the 9th inning and Milo went nuts in both calls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 am 

Ya they some big guns on that team. But the momentum that ended that season, carried them over the next year.

BTW just got grilled by grilli on fb.lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm 

I remember that season like it was yesterday, because it was my 12-year old season in Little League. Was anybody unhappy to see those damned Phillies get knocked out in 4 games to the Dodgers in the League Championship Series?

1978 was the last year with Frank Taveras at short, right? Didn't we go out and get Tim Foli from the Expos in 1979 during the pennant race? And Bill Madlock took Garner's place at 3rd. That's about the only major add from 1978 to 79 that I can remember. If we're making comparisons (though we shouldn't), those teams had some stout starting pitching with Blyleven, Candelaria, Donny Robinson, Rooker, Reuss, and then Kison in 79. I'd say we need a couple more years to get to that point, but folks I feel it coming!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:17 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
I remember that season like it was yesterday, because it was my 12-year old season in Little League. Was anybody unhappy to see those damned Phillies get knocked out in 4 games to the Dodgers in the League Championship Series?

1978 was the last year with Frank Taveras at short, right? Didn't we go out and get Tim Foli from the Expos in 1979 during the pennant race? And Bill Madlock took Garner's place at 3rd. That's about the only major add from 1978 to 79 that I can remember. If we're making comparisons (though we shouldn't), those teams had some stout starting pitching with Blyleven, Candelaria, Donny Robinson, Rooker, Reuss, and then Kison in 79. I'd say we need a couple more years to get to that point, but folks I feel it coming!

That '78 team was a lot of fun. They ran off both an 11-game and a 10-game winning streak, and almost ran down the Phils - freakin' Randy Lerch! And you're right - Foli and Mad Dog were the 2 major adds in 1979 (I was never a Tavares fan, and was only too glad to see him go).

Not at all comparing this team to 1978 in terms of talent, only that I hope this team gets hot right at the time we all think it's over, just like 1978. Maybe this team is more comparable to the 1987-88 Bucs who were starting to put the pieces together, but weren't quite there yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:24 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Maybe this team is more comparable to the 1987-88 Bucs who were starting to put the pieces together, but weren't quite there yet.

Ding, ding, ding. It could easily take two more years to see a real contender when the bats are in their primes and the young power arms are rolling every 5th day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
Maybe this team is more comparable to the 1987-88 Bucs who were starting to put the pieces together, but weren't quite there yet.

Ding, ding, ding. It could easily take two more years to see a real contender when the bats are in their primes and the young power arms are rolling every 5th day.

Again, I'm with you BD. I just wish they were playing better so that we can enjoy the end of what's been a really great ride, whatever happens.

Maybe the turnaround started last night.... :?:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:20 pm 

Right mostly.

Foli was acquired very early in the year, April I believe. Tanner wanted to solidify the defense.

Mad Dog came along near the end of June. Garner was moved to second because Stennett was dropping quickly, with the injuries really taking a toll on him, I think he was hitting in the low .200's at the time. (after hitting .336 in '77- then like 100 points lower in '78 and '79).

Another change was that Reuss was traded after the '78 season. Buck Jackson was used a lot more in save situations, and Romo was added to the later inning relief role in '79, after being acquired after the '78 season.

The Bucs had a lot more power in '79 too. Only Parker (30) and Stargell (28) regularly went longball. Robinon (14) was the only other guy with more than 10 HR. In '79, Stargell (32), Parker (25), and Robinson (24) led the team, while Milner added 16 and Garner 11.

The '79 bench was stronger. Upgrade with Nicosia as backup catcher over Dyer. Easler was also a pretty good addition to the bench in '79.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
Milo Hamilton's greatest calls in Pittsburgh came in both games of a doubleheader against the Phillies. The Bucs were 3.5 games back and needed to sweep the Phillies. The Bucs won both games of the Friday night doubleheader in the 9th inning and Milo went nuts in both calls.

Ah, September 29, 1978. I was there with my Dad, 8 years old, not my first game but the first game I remember clearly. In the first game, Ed Ott led off the inning with a sliding triple; then, when the throw to third went past Mike Schmidt and into the stands, Ott was awarded home and the game was ours. And the nightcap ended when Warren Brusstar balked home Dave Parker. We were stuck in traffic getting out of the 3RS parking lot for 45 minutes, but that was OK because everyone was hooting and yelling and honking their horns. That night made quite an impression on me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:21 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
House of Poe wrote:

Ah, September 29, 1978. I was there with my Dad, 8 years old, not my first game but the first game I remember clearly. In the first game, Ed Ott led off the inning with a sliding triple; then, when the throw to third went past Mike Schmidt and into the stands, Ott was awarded home and the game was ours. And the nightcap ended when Warren Brusstar balked home Dave Parker. We were stuck in traffic getting out of the 3RS parking lot for 45 minutes, but that was OK because everyone was hooting and yelling and honking their horns. That night made quite an impression on me. :)

Sadly, the season ended the next day (Saturday), when Randy Lerch, the Phillies pitcher, hit 2 homeruns. I went to the Sunday game (which didn't mean anything). Odell Jones started that game and Clay Carroll came in to relieve him. Alberto Lois hit a triple. Pete Mackanin played second base for the Phillies that afternoon. Strange how you remember useless information.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:30 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:

Not at all comparing this team to 1978 in terms of talent, only that I hope this team gets hot right at the time we all think it's over, just like 1978. Maybe this team is more comparable to the 1987-88 Bucs who were starting to put the pieces together, but weren't quite there yet.

the 87-88 bucs were making them contenders. Remember they finished last in 84,85 and '86. losing 104 games in '85 and 98 games in '86 (leylands first). Won 80 games in'87 and 85 in '88.

The 1978 bucs were like most of the bucs teams in the 70's. Contenders. They finished second in '76 '77 and '78 when the phillies were having there run. The 70's pirates had trouble beating the reds in the post season. Losing to them in '70. 72 and '75.

1979 was just the year everything came together. Swept Reds in nlcs and beating the orioles for the second time in the decadeto win there second world series.

The 70's were great to pittsburgh sports. Steelers 4 sbs, pirates 2 world series. Both teams were contenders nearly every year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:00 pm 

I think Foli was traded to the Pirates from the Mets, essentially swapping their starting shortstops. I can't recall
if anyone else was moved in the deal.

I remember Foli hitting very well in the Number 2 slot whenever Moreno was on base in doing what was needed
to "assist" in a steal or hit behind the runner, bunting, etc. to help move him along.

Like posted above the acquisition of Madlock allowing Garner to move to 2nd was probably the big move that put
that team over the top. If only that team had been assembled when they were younger. You also have to wonder
how good Parker could have been if not for his off the field problems, probably the best overall player in the league in 78 and 79.