Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goats and Stars for Labor Day 09/03
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:05 am 

I am getting tired saying "another tough loss" and "we will be okay", but I believe and I am an optimist...so, we are still just a couple games out of playoffs, let's roll out five in a row against the Astros and Cubs and be right back in the race! Go Bucs. Did not catch much of the game, so if I miss something, let me know!

STARTER: Locke pitched 5 innings and gave up runs in 3 of them. He gave up 5 in all. He looked good at times. Young pitchers are so unpredictable..which is why I hated the release of Cruz, and why I would have kept Bedard and put him in the bullpen once the rosters expanded. Gotta call this a bad start for Locke.

LOSS: Locke only gives us 5 innings in taking the loss to drop to 0-1, 4.82

GOAT: Sanchez gets some consideration with his 0-4, 2 K's and 4 stranded runners, but Locke takes Labor Day triple crown as today's bad starter, losing pitcher, and goat. Putting us in a 5-0 hole was just too much, especially considering the offensive woes.

Honorable Mention: It was his only hit, but Pedro gets an HM for legging out a triple!

STAR #3: McPherson gave us 2 solid, scoreless innings of relief after Locke spotted them 5 runs.

STAR #2: Barmes went 1-3 and drove in the only Pirate run.

STAR #1: Not much to cheer about today, so you really gotta give the #1 star to GJones for his second three hit day in a row, including a double.

STANDINGS
Cutch 110
Burnett 86
Alvarez 85
GJones 80
Walker 69
McDonald 62.5
McKenry 48.5
Correia 42.5
Barmes 41
Tabata 38
Harrison 36.5
Barajas 34.5
Presley 34
Karstens 31
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 27
McGehee 27
Bedard 25.5
Hughes 26.75
Grilli 24.75
Watson 21.25
Cruz 17.50
Marte 17
Snider 15.5
Resop 13.5
Sanchez 13.5
Hague 10
Mercer 7.5
Sutton 7
WRod 4.5
Morton 4.5
Qualls 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
McPherson 3.0
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.5
Wilson 1.0
Holt 1.0
Takahashi 0.5
DCutch -(2.0)
Locke -(2.0)

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goats and Stars for Labor Day 09/03
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:25 pm 

The numbers are what they are...but Locke pitched better than he fared. 2nd base ump screwed him out of an inning ending DP in the first which cost him a run..Barmes screwed him out of a run by his choke. He still gets the horns....but I liked his performance overall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:
The numbers are what they are...but Locke pitched better than he fared. 2nd base ump screwed him out of an inning ending DP in the first which cost him a run..Barmes screwed him out of a run by his choke. He still gets the horns....but I liked his performance overall.

I don't disagree with any of that..although I missed the Barmes play. What was that all about?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 pm 

Animal wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

I don't disagree with any of that..although I missed the Barmes play. What was that all about?

Depends on who you ask. Some of us think it was a brain fart that cost us a run, but was ultimately inconsequential since we played so crappily overall. Others think it's evidence that Barmes is taking bribes to deliberately lose games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:03 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
Animal wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

Depends on who you ask. Some of us think it was a brain fart that cost us a run, but was ultimately inconsequential since we played so crappily overall. Others think it's evidence that Barmes is taking bribes to deliberately lose games.

Well what happened?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm 

Locke made one bad pitch to Brett Wallace.. Wallace smoke the previous first pitch fastballs. Locke tried to full him by going with a get me over curve the 3rd time up. What he should have done was to go with an up and in fastball/ie .. chin music. That would have sent a message that he isn't going to take getting hit hard three times in a row. Anyway, the Pirates as a whole don't have the right mentality, and continue to just try to play the 'nice guy' card. Well, that just doesn't cut it in the major leagues. Pirates need to get fired up, and start stirring the pot, so to speak with these other teams that just laugh at the Pirates for being such pushovers when the tough gets going.

Also, pitching can only hold the fort down so much, until it becomes mentally draining when your team only scores 0,1, or two runs a game. It's pretty tough to win when you only score one or two runs at most. I know they scored more here and there, but for the most part, the offense has been horrible, especially with runners in scoring position.

When at least 33.33% of your offense (Barahas, Barmas, and the pitcher) is hitting that is basially a six person offense, at best. Not going to get the job done.

Bad trades, (new guys have the personality of a dead fish (Snider, Sanchez, Wandy/Suckay).

Just my opinion..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:01 pm 

Nutting&Russell wrote:
Locke made one bad pitch to Brett Wallace.. Wallace smoke the previous first pitch fastballs. Locke tried to full him by going with a get me over curve the 3rd time up. What he should have done was to go with an up and in fastball/ie .. chin music. That would have sent a message that he isn't going to take getting hit hard three times in a row. Anyway, the Pirates as a whole don't have the right mentality, and continue to just try to play the 'nice guy' card. Well, that just doesn't cut it in the major leagues. Pirates need to get fired up, and start stirring the pot, so to speak with these other teams that just laugh at the Pirates for being such pushovers when the tough gets going.

Also, pitching can only hold the fort down so much, until it becomes mentally draining when your team only scores 0,1, or two runs a game. It's pretty tough to win when you only score one or two runs at most. I know they scored more here and there, but for the most part, the offense has been horrible, especially with runners in scoring position.

When at least 33.33% of your offense (Barahas, Barmas, and the pitcher) is hitting that is basially a six person offense, at best. Not going to get the job done.

Bad trades, (new guys have the personality of a dead fish (Snider, Sanchez, Wandy/Suckay).

Just my opinion..

I disagree totally. The pitching gave out WAY before the hitting stopped. We are mostly scoring enough runs to win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm 

Animal wrote:
Well what happened?

Sorry. I'm on my phone, so I can't cut and paste, but I posted a description in the "When we look back on this ..." thread. First page, about halfway down.