Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 1980
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Keystone State
That's erased now the Phillies are the champs. It really made me sad, not because the Phillies won, but because I want to post a thread that says 1979. To see a pile like that at PNC Park would be amazing. I hope someday it happens.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Phillies spend money on star players. We need to bring up our star players like mccutchen and spend a bit more money on a little bit of more pitching to begin competition.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6209
Location: Keystone State
Money isn't why the Phillies won. The core of that team all came through the farm system: Utley, Rollins, Howard, Hamels, Victorino, Burrell, Werth. Yes, some of those names make money, but they have all of them under control from since they were called up except Burrell. He signed a new contract when he could have been a free agent. (Utley did too, but he still would be in arbitration.)

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:41 pm
Posts: 457
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Now that the Rays' season is officially over, I must return to the dark and sad reality that the Pirates are my team. I have virtually no hope that they will be any good next season and often wonder why I still even bother with them. That being said, congrats to the Phillies and only 3.5 months until pitchers and catchers report.

_________________
Pittsburgh Baseball: Rebuilt and Reloaded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
bucco boy wrote:
Money isn't why the Phillies won. The core of that team all came through the farm system: Utley, Rollins, Howard, Hamels, Victorino, Burrell, Werth. Yes, some of those names make money, but they have all of them under control from since they were called up except Burrell. He signed a new contract when he could have been a free agent. (Utley did too, but he still would be in arbitration.)

Werth came up through the Baltimore and Toronto farm systems and signed with Philly as a free agent in 06.

Your main point still stands though.

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
bucco boy wrote:
That's erased now the Phillies are the champs. It really made me sad, not because the Phillies won, but because I want to post a thread that says 1979. To see a pile like that at PNC Park would be amazing. I hope someday it happens.


You know, going back as far as 1992, I've monitored the weather in Pittsburgh on the October days when the National League city hosts World Series games. A lot of years, including that one and this one, we would have been in trouble with excessively cold, wet weather. They said last night that when the Phillies won it in 6 games in 1980, it was over on October 21st, one day before this World Series began. I like the extra round of playoffs, I even think it should be 7 games the whole way through, I just think we need to go back to a 154 game season. How much revenue would be lost?

I don't know, just my thoughts as I stare out the window at the 8 inches of snow that fell yesterday and last night. I guess dealing with 35 degrees and flurries at PNC Park on an October evening would be a great problem to have...Think of it...Baseball by Currier and Ives!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
doug frobel wrote:
I just think we need to go back to a 154 game season. How much revenue would be lost?


I don't know about lost revenue, but that would be one way to help our 2009 squad avoid 100 losses.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2575
Helluva idea!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 1980
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5419
Location: Pittsburgh
doug frobel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
That's erased now the Phillies are the champs. It really made me sad, not because the Phillies won, but because I want to post a thread that says 1979. To see a pile like that at PNC Park would be amazing. I hope someday it happens.


You know, going back as far as 1992, I've monitored the weather in Pittsburgh on the October days when the National League city hosts World Series games. A lot of years, including that one and this one, we would have been in trouble with excessively cold, wet weather. They said last night that when the Phillies won it in 6 games in 1980, it was over on October 21st, one day before this World Series began. I like the extra round of playoffs, I even think it should be 7 games the whole way through, I just think we need to go back to a 154 game season. How much revenue would be lost?

About 5% of all ticket and concession sales, which would be a fair sum. Nevertheless, I think that they should cut back on the regular season. After all, it's not MY money. :lol:

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], No. 9 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits