Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 pm 

Really don't get why the hell the pirates didn't go out and get this guy. Sure he is kinda expensive, but if we didn't go and get Wandy Rodriguez we would have saved that much money towards paying Ramirez. He could have been a HUGE upgrade over Clint Barmes at short. When you have a hole as glaring as Clint Barmes on a playoff contending team you need to repair it...Oh well, looks like it will indeed be another bust of a season due to lack of leadership, and decision making.

Post subject: Re: Hanley Ramirez
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm 

It was Jose Reyes or bust back then man! Where you been?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:37 pm 

Is NH really such a shoe in as GM? Has he really drafted so superbly that no mediocre GM with the same funding he has received wouldn't have taken most the first rounders he has and maybe have done a better job in the busted Sanchez draft? We didn't get a whole lot out of the selloff when the initially took over. His offseason free agent signings are horrendous for the most part. I don't know. Is there no better GM with an eye for talent available out there?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 pm 

Really NH has just been a very average GM in my opinion. Which makes him look great considering that he took over for a terrible GM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 am 

Ryann wrote:
Really don't get why the hell the pirates didn't go out and get this guy. Sure he is kinda expensive, but if we didn't go and get Wandy Rodriguez we would have saved that much money towards paying Ramirez. He could have been a HUGE upgrade over Clint Barmes at short. When you have a hole as glaring as Clint Barmes on a playoff contending team you need to repair it...Oh well, looks like it will indeed be another bust of a season due to lack of leadership, and decision making.

$15.5 million in 2013
$16 million in 2014

Its not very hard to understand why. The team is already nearing $60 million, there is no way they are going to jump to $75 million for a disgruntled, underperforming Hanley.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ryann wrote:

$15.5 million in 2013
$16 million in 2014

Its not very hard to understand why. The team is already nearing $60 million, there is no way they are going to jump to $75 million for a disgruntled, underperforming Hanley.

That and Houston ate a good chunk of Wandy's contract. Oh, and Hanleys defense is a serious downgrade from Clint. Probably would cost us more games than he wins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am 

Ryann wrote:

YEP...'cause you can certainly figure to have known that he would have better numbers in the month after the trade than he had all year in Miami.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm 

And it is certainly plausible to assume that the Marlins would take eat a bit of that salary, if the Pirates offered a better deal then the Dodgers...And yes Wilton I really did figure he would have alot more success with a change of scenery, and I also figured he would be a tremendous upgrade over our garbage shortstop.
Hanley's defense isn't that terrible, and his bat more then makes up for it. Barmes sucks flat out. You can talk all you want about his defense, but it isn't much more then slightly above average.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 pm 

Ryann wrote:
And it is certainly plausible to assume that the Marlins would take eat a bit of that salary, if the Pirates offered a better deal then the Dodgers...And yes Wilton I really did figure he would have alot more success with a change of scenery, and I also figured he would be a tremendous upgrade over our garbage shortstop.
Hanley's defense isn't that terrible, and his bat more then makes up for it. Barmes sucks flat out. You can talk all you want about his defense, but it isn't much more then slightly above average.

...And you all know the ONE thing that we should have all counted on being more sure than even taxes and death?? That after not seeing Ryann during a long and mostly successful season, we finally see him starting to post when it looks like the season has gone south. Go figure!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:52 pm 

I have been actively reading and occasionally posting on the board all season....
Of course how dare I say that management did something wrong.

And actually I said WHEN RAMIREZ GOT TRADED that the Pirates should have gotten him.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9587

Of course I was right, he has performed well over in LA and he would have been a huge upgrade over Barmes. Adding a player like Ramirez could have really made the difference this season and gotten us into the playoffs. He would have brought alot more to this team then Wandy Rodriguez, of course the team didn't want to take the risk and drop the cash to get him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I have been actively reading and occasionally posting on the board all season....

And actually I said WHEN RAMIREZ GOT TRADED that the Pirates should have gotten him.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9587

Of course I was right, he has performed well over in LA and he would have been a huge upgrade over Barmes. Adding a player like Ramirez could have really made the difference this season and gotten us into the playoffs. He would have brought alot more to this team then Wandy Rodriguez, of course the team didn't want to take the risk and drop the cash to get him.

Wrong! Adding Ramirez would have set this team back years. Mark my words, Dodgers will not make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 pm 

Ryann wrote:

http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9587

Was he going to pitch too?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am 

CashInFist wrote:
Where you been?

Trolls must wait until it's darkest to re-appear.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am 

Ryann wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9587

You are missing the point, the team could not take on that much salary. Its way over budget and they arn't going to go bankrupt for any player. It wasn't a choice to say no, they were talking to Miami at the deadline, it was a matter of no choice. To suggest Miami would take back salary is ridiculous.

I'd like Albert Pujols at 1B, so I guess its NH's fault we didn't get Pujols last winter, fire him!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm 

Ramirez is only 28 but he has cearly declined from the MVP caliber player he once was. The question is how well will he play over the next 2 years while he is making that big money?

Actually that's not even the question. The Dodgers have money to burn so they don't care that they are overpaying.

The Pirates cannot afford 15 million a year players, period, even if they could perform to that level on the field, which Hanley cannot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Ramirez is only 28 but he has cearly declined from the MVP caliber player he once was. The question is how well will he play over the next 2 years while he is making that big money?

Actually that's not even the question. The Dodgers have money to burn so they don't care that they are overpaying.

The Pirates cannot afford 15 million a year players, period, even if they could perform to that level on the field, which Hanley cannot.

...not to mention, in my heart, I really don't think that he is a "Pittsburgh" type player. Yeah, he is playing well now, in the spotlight in LA...but I don't see that lasting too long either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 pm 

Ramirez is obviously more talented than Barmes, but I would never want someone like him on my team. I'm even talking about taking money out of the equation. I'll take the guy that I never have to question the effort about, if that means fewer wins, I can live with that. I'm old enough to remember a young Gary Sheffield when he quit on the Brewers so they'd trade him and have always hated him and players like him.
Sure Ramirez is playing better, he got what he wanted. He won't have to play 3G for LA. What was his excuse last year when he was benched for not hustling? let him be Simone elses problem I say.
As A side note, the Dodgers have become the same thing as Yankees and Red Sox in my eyes and I wish them nothing but bad things.

Last edited by Scoobiedoo on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 pm 

The Dodgers are basically trying to buy a playoff berth which the Yankees have done for years.

Hopefully it won't work this year but looking ahead it's hard to compete with that kind of a payroll. If a guy doesn't produce, they will eat the contract and bring in another talented player.