Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brock Holt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:34 am 

fuzzy159 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:
Holt has hit and got on base at a very good rate his entire minor league career.

Not saying he is gonna be our permanent SS but he has proven to be a consistent player at the plate.

In the minors.

The NL Central isn't exactly the AL East.

I guess Taillon and Cole doing great in the minors means nothing too since it is just the minor league.

Come on Fuzz, there is a lot more to being a prospect than minor league numbers.

Anyway, it doesn't preclude us catching lightning in a bottle for 4 weeks. It is highly unlikely that Holt is an everday MLB player, but he could easily stay hot for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Come on Fuzz, there is a lot more to being a prospect than minor league numbers.

Anyway, it doesn't preclude us catching lightning in a bottle for 4 weeks. It is highly unlikely that Holt is an everday MLB player, but he could easily stay hot for a few weeks.

SS...the Pittsburgh Pirates Black Hole! If Holt isn't a regular, and Mercer isn't a regular, and D'arnaud isn't a regular, and Hanson doesn't project as a shortstop...Man alive...I hope at some point we find someone who can play that position on a regular basis!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:
rellimie wrote:

The NL Central isn't exactly the AL East.

I guess Taillon and Cole doing great in the minors means nothing too since it is just the minor league.

I am not expecting him to be anything special.

Anyone is an upgrade over Barmes right now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm 

fuzzy159 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

I am not expecting him to be anything special.

Anyone is an upgrade over Barmes right now.

Not if he can't play SS defensively. He had 25 errors in 100 games this year in the minors and all scouting reports say the arm and range don't play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:24 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

I'm with you BD. Maybe all the advanced stats make it clear that Holt won't make it as a major league SS, and maybe he won't. But we got 27 games to play here, and if I'm Clint I put the 9 men on the field that give me the best chance to win. When Walker is ready, I go with Holt at SS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

I'm with you BD. Maybe all the advanced stats make it clear that Holt won't make it as a major league SS, and maybe he won't. But we got 27 games to play here, and if I'm Clint I put the 9 men on the field that give me the best chance to win. When Walker is ready, I go with Holt at SS.

I echo all of the SSS comments but the kid has hit at every level. Not saying he's the SS of the future or even the SS of now (that's a lot of esses) but he could certainly be a solid bench player who can take a few walks and backup SS and 2b if necessary, no? I can't see why he couldn't take Harrison's place next year...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

Funny how he walked in his first at-bat, but hasn't walked since. Since he is hitting the ball, the numbers look decent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm 

rellimie wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
I'm wondering how many players have drawn a four pitch walk in their first Major League plate appearance. You've got to figure that pitchers are willing to challenge the new guy (see Starling Marte), and the new guy is anxious to make an impression and more likely to swing at bad pitches. Got to be fairly unusual, I would think.

Or it could be that the coach told him to take until he got a strike, which he never got.

See, once the truth is said its not as strange as you would think.

It's still strange, I think. How many times has it happened? Wish I was energetic enough to investigate it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:51 pm 

rellimie wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:
Holt has hit and got on base at a very good rate his entire minor league career.

Not saying he is gonna be our permanent SS but he has proven to be a consistent player at the plate.

In the minors.

If minor league performance did not matter, then it would make just as much sense to call up a guy hitting .150 as it would to call up a guy hitting .350, because their major league numbers would be entirely random.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am 

sisyphus wrote:
rellimie wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:

In the minors.

If minor league performance did not matter, then it would make just as much sense to call up a guy hitting .150 as it would to call up a guy hitting .350, because their major league numbers would be entirely random.

Hitting in the minors does 1 thing, gives you a shot at the majors. It does NOT however, get you a starting job at the major league level. To do that, you have to show you can do it for more than a few weeks. Holts problem is he has no position. When Walker comes back where will he play? Don't say SS because he isn't good enough.