Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brock Holt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:16 pm 

I'm wondering how many players have drawn a four pitch walk in their first Major League plate appearance. You've got to figure that pitchers are willing to challenge the new guy (see Starling Marte), and the new guy is anxious to make an impression and more likely to swing at bad pitches. Got to be fairly unusual, I would think.

Post subject: Re: Brock Holt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:26 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I'm wondering how many players have drawn a four pitch walk in their first Major League plate appearance. You've got to figure that pitchers are willing to challenge the new guy (see Starling Marte), and the new guy is anxious to make an impression and more likely to swing at bad pitches. Got to be fairly unusual, I would think.

I think it showed maturity and patience on Holt's part to take the walk in his first at bat. If you check his stats, this guy has hit at every level since being drafted out of Rice back in '09. I'd love to see him succeed - of course, I want all of our guys to be successful, but Holt is 24 (or 25, depending upon the source) so maybe it's his time!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 am 

sisyphus wrote:

Or it could be that the coach told him to take until he got a strike, which he never got.

See, once the truth is said its not as strange as you would think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 pm 

rellimie wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Or it could be that the coach told him to take until he got a strike, which he never got.

According to the announcers tonight, that is EXACTLY what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 pm 

Like this kids energy and as the announcers have said he's a hitter,everywhere he's been. Without much in the system maybe we can find him a spot a short with a full off season

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 pm 

Does this kid have the range/arm for SS once Walker returns?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 pm 

Animal wrote:
rellimie wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

According to the announcers tonight, that is EXACTLY what happened.

I know, that's why I said it.

People tend to jump the gun a bit. In the game thread someone just said we found our leadoff hitter because he is 3 for 3 tonight. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 pm 

rellimie wrote:

People tend to jump the gun a bit. In the game thread someone just said we found our leadoff hitter because he is 3 for 3 tonight. Go figure.

The guy has nearly a .400 career OBP as a professional...that isn't jumping the gun. Decent speed and that high of OBP makes for a great leadoff guy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am 

Great game, and the kid can get on base. His minor league totals:

2009: .299/.361/.449
2010: .351/.410/.438
2011: .288/.356/.387
2012: .350/.389/.452

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:15 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
rellimie wrote:

The guy has nearly a .400 career OBP as a professional...that isn't jumping the gun. Decent speed and that high of OBP makes for a great leadoff guy.

Until he does it in the majors over a period of time I'm not going to say we FOUND our leadoff hitter. How many times have we had guys that could do it in the minors.

I'm not saying he won't....but it's been 3 full games, going on 4....NOT going to say we FOUND our leadoff hitter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 am 

Let's play jeopardy! Famous Quotes for $200, Alex.

The answer is: "Wow. This kid can hit. He's got some speed. He can steal bases. I think we have FINALLY found that leadoff hitter we have been looking for for so long. This kid is going to be around for a long, long time for us"

The question is...Who is Brock Holt? Who is Alex Presley? Who is Jose Tabata? Who is Nyjer Morgan? Who is Chris Duffy? Who is Tike Redman? Who is Adrian Brown? Who is Jermaine Allensworth? ...........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:43 am 

Holt has hit and got on base at a very good rate his entire minor league career.

Not saying he is gonna be our permanent SS but he has proven to be a consistent player at the plate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 am 

fuzzy159 wrote:
Holt has hit and got on base at a very good rate his entire minor league career.

Not saying he is gonna be our permanent SS but he has proven to be a consistent player at the plate.

In the minors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am 

Animal wrote:

The answer is: "Wow. This kid can hit. He's got some speed. He can steal bases. I think we have FINALLY found that leadoff hitter we have been looking for for so long. This kid is going to be around for a long, long time for us"

The question is...Who is Brock Holt? Who is Alex Presley? Who is Jose Tabata? Who is Nyjer Morgan? Who is Chris Duffy? Who is Tike Redman? Who is Adrian Brown? Who is Jermaine Allensworth? ...........

Laughing because it's so sad, but true. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am 

Animal wrote:

My point made with more sarcasm. I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:47 am 

rellimie wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:

In the minors.

The NL Central isn't exactly the AL East.

I guess Taillon and Cole doing great in the minors means nothing too since it is just the minor league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 am 

Great game tonight for Brock. He's very patient at the plate. Wish we could get the rest of the team to be as patient.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:59 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Animal wrote:

Laughing because it's so sad, but true. :lol:

But most of those guys were CF...remember our revolving door?? A guy would come up, have a great August and September..then suck the next forever!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 am 

Stat of the Day: When wearing a uniform that isn't screwed up, Brock Holt is batting .600.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 am 

fuzzy159 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
fuzzy159 wrote:

In the minors.

The NL Central isn't exactly the AL East.

I guess Taillon and Cole doing great in the minors means nothing too since it is just the minor league.

It means nothing until they do it in the majors. All it DOES mean is that they will get a shot.