Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What might have been????
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:24 am 

DocJeanO wrote:
Wasn't it some kind of forced salary dump with Ramirez? Something to do with profit/salary ratio?? The problem was, of course, that they didn't get anything of value for him. Maybe everyone in MLB knew they had to trade him? I don't know. That is still shrouded in secrecy.....we will never know what really happened.

No shroud of secrecy at all. Pirate management came out in the papers and said they had to dump salary because of the debt ratio. The equivalent of putting your car for sale in a local wanted and adding a disclaimer that you must sell it because you need the money and you'll accept much less than the asking price.

Kris Benson was the Pirate most speculated to go but got hurt right around that time, leaving Ramirez as he obvious choice to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 pm 

DocJeanO wrote:
Wasn't it some kind of forced salary dump with Ramirez? Something to do with profit/salary ratio?? The problem was, of course, that they didn't get anything of value for him. Maybe everyone in MLB knew they had to trade him? I don't know. That is still shrouded in secrecy.....we will never know what really happened.

Yes it was, the rule that has only been enforced one time, against the Pirates. MLB didn't force the Mets or Dodgers to give away talent when they were deeper in the hole than the Pirates ever were.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:16 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
DocJeanO wrote:

Yes it was, the rule that has only been enforced one time, against the Pirates. MLB didn't force the Mets or Dodgers to give away talent when they were deeper in the hole than the Pirates ever were.

Or the Rangers, who I believe actually ACQUIRED one Cliff Lee while fighting (some sort of) bankruptcy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 pm 

bradf wrote:
I don't even remember who we got for him...

This guy ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 pm 

Whatever happened to the great Ron Wright? Remember he was the great prospect the Bucs kept talking about for years. I'm not sure he ever saw the majors?

I think the Pirates Paid 20 years for the early 90's run that they had.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:56 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Whatever happened to the great Ron Wright? Remember he was the great prospect the Bucs kept talking about for years. I'm not sure he ever saw the majors?

I think the Pirates Paid 20 years for the early 90's run that they had.

Ron Wright was a power hitting 1b acquired in August of '96 from the Braves, along with a player to be named later for Denny Neagle.

Neagle did not do much the rest of the year in helping Atlanta get to the playoffs, but he had a monster 1999, finishing 20-5, with 2.97 ERA, finishing 3rd in Cy Young ballotting.

Wright, at the time of the trade was a 20 year old power hitting 1b at AA, who had hit already hit 72 minor league HR (at the age of 20!!!!)..He was the big name in the trade. He had 16 HR and 63 RBI, in just 90 games....while batting .304 for Calgary (Pirates AAA) in 1997. Then, if I recall correctly(and someone please correct me if I am wrong)..he starting having back trouble. He only played 20 minor league games in 1998 (at Nashville-AAA) and 24 minor league games in 1999 (at Altoona).

The Reds got him on waivers in Oct 1999...only to be released at the end of season. He then signed with Devil Rays in Nov 2000, then with Seattle in Nov 2001. After those 72 HR by the age of 20, he had the following minor league HR totals over the next 8 years, 16 in '97, 2 in '98, 0 in '99, 14 in 2000, 20 in '01, 15 in '02, 9 in '03, and 3 in '04. So talk about bad luck for the Bucs....72 HR by the age of 20, then 79 in the next 8 years after becoming Pirate property!

He got in one and only one career major league game with Seattle on April 14, 2002, going 0-3 as a DH.

Now, back to Neagle...the Bucs traded him away at the age of 27...he went on to have three pretty good years in Atlanta, finishing there 38-19, 3.43, before going to Cinncy, the Yankees, and Colorado.

Now, the Braves threw in a 23 year old pttcher with some prior injury problems, who had underachieved in the majors. He had been a decent minor league prospect but was 2-2 with 5.76 ERA for Atlanta in 1995 and 3-4, 6.70 ERA in 1996 for Atlanta. The Bucs immediately put him in their rotation and he finished out '96 for the Bucs with 2-2, 4.06 ERA. He did okay for the Bucs after that, winning 10 games in 1997, 11 in 1998, and 13 in '99. That pitcher? Jason Schmidt.