Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Correia stakes his claim
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:24 am 

Whether filling in for Karstens or taking over Bedard's spot, I think that Kevin put his stamp on the position. I know that he isn't very popular here, but as a fifth starter he is more than capable. He'll eat innings and keep us in games...it could be worse!

Post subject: Re: Correia stakes his claim
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:29 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Whether filling in for Karstens or taking over Bedard's spot, I think that Kevin put his stamp on the position. I know that he isn't very popular here, but as a fifth starter he is more than capable. He'll eat innings and keep us in games...it could be worse!

That's been my point all along. While Bedard had the capability to be much better, he also had a lot of games that were much worse. With Correia, you know what you got...average start...certainly ok for a #5 guy in the rotation,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:32 am 

Too bad he didn't start this game. Karstens lost it in the first inning. Sometimes guys must put there ego aside when they can't go. No Cutch, no walker hurt us tonight. Luckily cardinals, Dodgers and even the Braves have been stumbling of late. Would like to take next two vs brewers (no easy task historically for the bucs). Then hopefully feast off the Astros.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:37 am 

Offense left way too many men on base tonight. And that oriental was terrible in the 9th. REally dissapointed with tonights performance. Sick of the Brewers and Padres.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:38 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
And that oriental was terrible in the 9th. .

:shock: ...really?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Offense left way too many men on base tonight. And that oriental was terrible in the 9th. REally dissapointed with tonights performance. Sick of the Brewers and Padres.

The Chinamen is not the issue here. This is not a guy who built the railroad here, this is a guy who peed on my rug!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:24 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

What? I think it was very considerate of Clevelandsux not to call him a "slanty-eyed gook". A true Renaissance man, that guy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:44 am 

Judge Landis wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

What? I think it was very considerate of Clevelandsux not to call him a "slanty-eyed gook". A true Renaissance man, that guy.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:44 pm 

Sorry couldn't remember or pronounce his name. And be a little more respectful of people on the board. Sorry I don't love Pedro like you. But I love the Pirates which is the common theme on this site.

i'm on the steelers addicts site and nobody treats people with disrespect. Even if we disagree. We know we're all on the same team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:51 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Sorry couldn't remember or pronounce his name. And be a little more respectful of people on the board. Sorry I don't love Pedro like you. But I love the Pirates which is the common theme on this site.

i'm on the steelers addicts site and nobody treats people with disrespect. Even if we disagree. We know we're all on the same team.

Since apparently you don't realize this: Calling a Japanese person an "oriental" is a racial slur. We weren't mocking you because we disagree with your opinion about Pedro Alvarez. We were mocking you because you're either a racist, or else you're a total dumbass who's too stupid to realize that he's using racist language.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:02 pm 

First of all I didn't know if he was chinese, japanese etc. Just like calling a guy hispanic. I have more education in my foot than you do in your whole body. So go back to working in your coal mine, jack ass!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:11 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
First of all I didn't know if he was chinese, japanese etc. Just like calling a guy hispanic. I have more education in my foot than you do in your whole body. So go back to working in your coal mine, jack ass!

(1) Except that "Hispanic" is not a racial slur. "Oriental" is. If you didn't know what specific nationality he was, you should have called him "Asian".

(2) What Ivy League school did your foot attend?

(3) If the rest of you had gone to college along with your foot, maybe you'd have known not to say "oriental".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:34 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

(1) Except that "Hispanic" is not a racial slur. "Oriental" is. If you didn't know what specific nationality he was, you should have called him "Asian".

(2) What Ivy League school did your foot attend?

(3) If the rest of you had gone to college along with your foot, maybe you'd have known not to say "oriental".

This is interesting that this issue came up because I recently heard someone say that using oriental to describe someone is racist. I disagree with the term being pejorative. It is a geographical term really (the opposite is occidental) and using Asian is a more vague geographical term - could be Indian or Turkish or a variety of different countries of origin. In my opinion it is like saying a person is Western European versus European. When did the term become offensive? I feel it connotes nothing more than a geographical place of origin for an individual. I had a friend about a year ago also remark that using oriental was racist and she is Korean. I did not ask her to elaborate on why she felt it was racist but maybe I should have. I honestly think it is that people misunderstand the meaning of oriental. This is far from a big deal for me as I now have learned that people feel it is racist and I have modified my usage to go with the flow. I don’t think it truly is racist and when/if I would call someone oriental it would not have any racist connotations attached to it - at least by me.

From wikipedia ( not that they are the source of truth)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

American English

While a number of reference works used in the United States describe Oriental as pejorative, or antiquated but not necessarily offensive, the American Heritage Book of English Usage notes that:
It is worth remembering, though, that Oriental is not an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. It is most objectionable in contemporary contexts and when used as a noun, as in the appointment of an Oriental to head the commission. But in certain historical contexts, or when its exotic connotations are integral to the topic, Oriental remains a useful term.[7]
Random House's Guide to Sensitive Language states that "Other words (e.g., Oriental, colored) are outdated or inaccurate." It suggests the use of "Asian or more specific designation such as Pacific Islander, Chinese American, [or] Korean".[8] Merriam-Webster describes the term as "sometimes offensive."[9]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:46 pm 

According to an Anthropology professor at Pitt whose class my foot and I took a couple of years ago, "oriental" came to connotate strangeness, foreign-ness, and general not-like-us-ness in a xenophobic way, and this is why the term ceased being appropriate to describe people from the Far East. In fact, "orientalizing" is apparently an anthropological term that means "to insinuate that some group of people is different than, and inferior to, the West because they do not adhere to the norms of Western culture and civilization." A synonym for "orientalizing" is "othering".

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:29 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
According to an Anthropology professor at Pitt whose class my foot and I took a couple of years ago, "oriental" came to connotate strangeness, foreign-ness, and general not-like-us-ness in a xenophobic way, and this is why the term ceased being appropriate to describe people from the Far East. In fact, "orientalizing" is apparently an anthropological term that means "to insinuate that some group of people is different than, and inferior to, the West because they do not adhere to the norms of Western culture and civilization." A synonym for "orientalizing" is "othering".

Judge, I think you're being way to PC here on this matter (and you have met my wife :D ). The term Oriental seems to have been replaced with "East Asian" as a convienent way to refer to (let's be honest) Dark haired, lighter skinned persons who have a certain look to their eyes (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filipino, Cambodian etc.) as we now use South Asian to refer to persons from that continent who tend to have darker skin and not that certain look to their eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm 

Well, if that's the case, then what is too PC for this board is not nearly PC enough for an Anthropology class run by a Women's Studies major. I was the most conservative old fuddy-duddy in that class. I still run into that prof around campus and she won't make eye contact with me. I can't win.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:28 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
Well, if that's the case, then what is too PC for this board is not nearly PC enough for an Anthropology class run by a Women's Studies major. I was the most conservative old fuddy-duddy in that class. I still run into that prof around campus and she won't make eye contact with me. I can't win.

Women's Studies? There's your first mistake. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Judge Landis wrote:

Yeah, for all of you would-be college students and/or feet of would-be college students out there, here's a tip: When discussing Benjamin Franklin's famous letter to his protege, extolling the virtues of having an affair with an older woman, with a Women's Studies major, don't try to defend it using the argument that "it's just guy talk". That is a non-starter right there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Judge Landis wrote:

Yeah, for all of you would-be college students and/or feet of would-be college students out there, here's a tip: When discussing Benjamin Franklin's famous letter to his protege, extolling the virtues of having an affair with an older woman, with a Women's Studies major, don't try to defend it using the argument that "it's just guy talk". That is a non-starter right there.

So I guess my refernce to the great British satirist, Benny Hill, would be frowned upon,

Give me an older woman every time. They don't yell and they don't tell and oooooh their grate full as Hell! Give me an older woman every time!

:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 pm 

Corsair wrote:
So I guess my refernce to the great British satirist, Benny Hill, would be frowned upon,

Give me an older woman every time. They don't yell and they don't tell and oooooh their grate full as Hell! Give me an older woman every time!

:D

No, that exchange would have undoubtedly ended with her chasing me in and out of the Nationality Rooms of the Cathedral of Learning in fast motion while "Yakety Sax" played in the background.