Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Starling Marte
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:13 pm 

I would start marten and Snider every game with tabata off the bench. Would marte leadoff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm 

Chris76 wrote:
Here's my pick:

1.Marte
2.Snider/Tabata
3.McCutchen
4.Alvarez
5.Walker
6.Jones
7.McKenry
8.Barmes

We need to stop pretending that Marte is a suitable leadoff hitter. I count 5 Pirates starters with better plate discipline than his. If people are going to draw comparisons between him and Alfonso Soriano, then he should be treated like Alfonso Soriano: moved down in the order.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm 

Chris76 wrote:
Here's my pick:

1.Marte
2.Snider/Tabata
3.McCutchen
4.Alvarez
5.Walker
6.Jones
7.McKenry
8.Barmes

Why on earth would you sit Snider? He's done nothing but hit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:25 pm 

Snider would be my everyday go to guy with Tabata as spot starter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:27 pm 

Willton wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
Here's my pick:

1.Marte
2.Snider/Tabata
3.McCutchen
4.Alvarez
5.Walker
6.Jones
7.McKenry
8.Barmes

We need to stop pretending that Marte is a suitable leadoff hitter. I count 5 Pirates starters with better plate discipline than his. If people are going to draw comparisons between him and Alfonso Soriano, then he should be treated like Alfonso Soriano: moved down in the order.

His speed is the key, imo. You need a speedy leadoff. And his bat has impressed me. This next month will tell the tale as to if he blongs at #1. But, I think he is our best choice for now, because if he succeeds, he could be one of the best in the league at it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 pm 

CashInFist wrote:
His speed is the key, imo. You need a speedy leadoff. And his bat has impressed me. This next month will tell the tale as to if he blongs at #1. But, I think he is our best choice for now, because if he succeeds, he could be one of the best in the league at it.

You need a speedy guy at leadoff if you play small ball. The Pirates have not played small ball well this year. Stealing bases, sac bunts and hit-n-runs have been putrid all year. Like it or not (I like it), we are a long ball team now. One of the stats they showed on the ESPN game the other night is that we have scored over 42% of our runs from Home Runs.

I would rather have a "smart" baserunner leading off. Snider has shown the right mix of aggressive, but intelligent baserunning. Walker does too. Tabata is aggressive, but stupid (leading the league in CS) and Marte, as stated by many others earlier, is not patient enough at the plate. He would be a good #7 hitter in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 pm 

CashInFist wrote:
His speed is the key, imo. You need a speedy leadoff.

I'll let my man Jonah Keri handle this one...

Quote:
There are many sabermetric principles that have gained mainstream acceptance over the past years. One of them is the notion that batting order doesn't matter. In a broad sense, that's true. If a manager can get his best nine guys in a lineup, that's more important than where each of them bat. But that doesn't mean that where each hitter bats is completely irrelevant. There is such thing as optimal batting order. If you want to keep things simpler, consider this: For every spot a hitter drops in the order, he loses about 18 plate appearances over the course of a full season. Which means it's imperative that your best hitters bat as high in the order as possible.

Choosing your lead-off and number-two hitters based on basestealing (leaving aside the fact that Cozart has four stolen bases all year) is a counterproductive move straight out of the mid-'70s. The problem is, old managerial habits can be hard to break. In 2009, Willy Taveras hit .240/.275/.285 for the Reds. That made him the second-worst hitter in all of baseball with more than 400 plate appearances that year. It's bad enough that Baker gifted Taveras with 437 times at bat. That 84 percent of those gifts came in the lead-off spot makes it that much more egregious. But hey, Taveras did steal 25 bases in 2009. So he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... es-problem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 pm 

OBP > SB's...particularly at lead off. Doesn't matter if you can steal bases if you can't get on base!

I don't even think you need the Sabremetrics to support that...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 pm 

CashInFist wrote:
Willton wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
Here's my pick:

1.Marte
2.Snider/Tabata
3.McCutchen
4.Alvarez
5.Walker
6.Jones
7.McKenry
8.Barmes

His entire career, majors and minors, tell the tale, and the tale is, "Once upon a time there was a guy who could run really fast, but didn't get on base all that much." Marte is no leadoff hitter, and I think that he's going to have to work hard to take back any playing time from Tabata.