Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 90 wins?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:36 pm 

Posited some time ago that 90 wins would be needed to be a wildcard team. And, let's face it, the NL Central crown isn't a feasible goal right now.

At 70-60 and 32 games left, the Bucs need to go 20-12 (.625 ball) from now until end of year. How can they do it?

Astros 6 games (4-2)
Cubs 7 games (5-2)
Brewers 6 games (4-2)
Mets 4 games (3-1)
Reds 6 games (3-3)
Braves 3 games (2-1)

Doesn't allow much room for series losses. Have to make series hay against Cubs, Astros, Mets and Brewers. Those are "must dominate" teams. For all practical purposes, no more than one loss per series can be incurred to keep them on track. I'd like to see 5-1 or 6-0 versus the Astros. That might afford some breathing room.

Putting up 7 wins out of next 9 (Mil, Chi, Hou) would be awesome start. Particularly with what StL is facing.

Post subject: Re: 90 wins?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm 

With realistically 4 teams (Bucs, Cards, dodgers and Braves) fighting it out for 2 spots it seems that 90 wins could guarantee a WC berth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:50 pm 

Ya know, they have yet to go on a nice long winning streak(something like 7 in a row or more). Maybe they are getting the bats hot again and can pull off a run like that. I'm not holding my breath on that, but they are due this season for a nice little winning streak. If they do that your proposition is so unlikely. Let's hope....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58 pm 

After watching how they battled against St. Louis in what was really two must game wins I've decided to just sit back and relax. I was really heated about how they played in August completely forgetting how well they played to even be in the hunt at this point in the season.

When was the last time a bucco club was even in the thick of things going into September? I'm gonna enjoy this ride. We'll see if a team made up of a majority of young men without playoff experience can hang in there.

Just win baby! Go Bucs!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Posited some time ago that 90 wins would be needed to be a wildcard team. And, let's face it, the NL Central crown isn't a feasible goal right now.

At 70-60 and 32 games left, the Bucs need to go 20-12 (.625 ball) from now until end of year. How can they do it?

Astros 6 games (4-2)
Cubs 7 games (5-2)
Brewers 6 games (4-2)
Mets 4 games (3-1)
Reds 6 games (3-3)
Braves 3 games (2-1)

Doesn't allow much room for series losses. Have to make series hay against Cubs, Astros, Mets and Brewers. Those are "must dominate" teams. For all practical purposes, no more than one loss per series can be incurred to keep them on track. I'd like to see 5-1 or 6-0 versus the Astros. That might afford some breathing room.

Putting up 7 wins out of next 9 (Mil, Chi, Hou) would be awesome start. Particularly with what StL is facing.

If they lose twice to Houston, they don't deserve a playoff spot, they are 7-38 in the last 45 games.