Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cole to Indy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am 

Very exciting time to be a Bucco fan, me thinks. Some terrific young players already on the Bucs, and some excellent prospects in the pipeline. I'm sure Gerrit Cole won't be in Pittsburgh until June of '13 but it's definitely something to look forward to. Go Bucs!

Post subject: Re: Cole to Indy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am 

DocJeanO wrote:
Very exciting time to be a Bucco fan, me thinks. Some terrific young players already on the Bucs, and some excellent prospects in the pipeline. I'm sure Gerrit Cole won't be in Pittsburgh until June of '13 but it's definitely something to look forward to. Go Bucs!

I think you mean June of 2014, gotta have a full year at AAA you know. By the NH plan a SP should be 25 before earning a MLB spot, that makes Cole's eta Sept 2015.

It is exciting to see him get a taste to setup next year. Same with Taillon at AA, realistically both should pitch in MLB next season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am 

Let's hope not. I think they know they have something special in Cole, and will treat his rise accordingly. He's certainly risen fast through the system......it will be fun to watch him in AAA and see how he does.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:57 am 

Nice.

The only thing that would have been better would have been if Cole somehow would have been added to the expanded rosters in a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

This is exciting stuff but I'm trying not to pay any attention to it. Don't want to look forward to next year while this current one is going so well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
This is exciting stuff but I'm trying not to pay any attention to it. Don't want to look forward to next year while this current one is going so well.

Great point, it is hard to not look ahead or prospect follow because that is the only thing we are used to. Its been 20 years since we have seen important August and September baseball and it feels foreign to obsess over every MLB game instead of every minor league level.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:11 pm 

Both the present and future look very bright for the Buccos. What a weird feeling...but good weird.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
DocJeanO wrote:

I think you mean June of 2014, gotta have a full year at AAA you know. By the NH plan a SP should be 25 before earning a MLB spot, that makes Cole's eta Sept 2015.

It is exciting to see him get a taste to setup next year. Same with Taillon at AA, realistically both should pitch in MLB next season.

Cole yes. Taillon 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm 

Cole honestly could pitch in the majors right now.

But it is for the best to work on his command in Indy. I have read that his strikeouts could actually increase in the Majors. Mostly due to a lot of people taking his stuff that is out of the zone a lot because of how good it is in the minors. People like Law think he will see more swing and misses at those pitches in the Majors

And Taillon could easily be in the Majors next year. He is figuring his stuff out lately and he very well could end up our best pitcher out of the two.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

BTW from a Marauders fan to all of you...You're welcome! :-) - for all of the up and coming talent.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:37 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
DocJeanO wrote:

Cole yes. Taillon 2014.

I think Doc's right. I think you'll see them both in Pgh in 2013. They are not going to follow the protocol for the typical prospect. I don't think they'll have much to prove in the minors in June of 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
DocJeanO wrote:

They've pushed him through three levels this year. It's very clear that the plan to have him in Pittsburgh sometime next year, provided that he has success in AAA.