Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for GREAT Win 08/29
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 pm 

GREAT WIN TONIGHT! A MUST win! Take the series. Take the season series. Move to within one game of wild card spot. We hold the cards scoreless for 18 innings over past two nightts! And more importantly, seemingly have the edge in the tie-breaker. But MOST IMPORTANTLY..get back to good play, two nights in a row. Good pitching. Timely hitting. YEAH BABY!

STARTER: Now THAT is the Wandy Rodriguez we traded for!!!! Wandy gives us six innings. 3 hits. 3 walks. 3 K's. NO RUNS. FINALLY! Would have liked to see another inning, but this is still a GREAT START!

WIN: WRod gets the win to improve to 9-13, with a decent enough 3.86 ERA. He could be a hell of a #4 starter for us down the stretch.

Honorable Mention: Snider goes 1-3, with double, plus a walk and SB. Scores 2 runs. Has just been a real solid player since the trade. Hitting .301 as a Buc. Harrison goes 2-4 with an RBI. Watson (2 K's), Grilli (2 K's) and Hanrahan (1 K) each give us a scoreless inning to complete this team shutout.

STAR #3: GJones goes 1-3, with a run scoring double. He also walks and scores on the Pedro HR. Jones is quietly having a very good year.

STAR #2: Wandy Rodriguez kept us in this game with a super performance, clearly his best as a Buc. I just hope they keep coming. If JMac comes back around, Karstens is healthy and pitches like Karstens, and Wandy can keep it up, and Burnett can tighten himself up again, then look out down the stretch!

STAR #1: PEDRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Speaking of Pedro, how 'bout his look-a-like in the crowd?? But where is Kelly??? Pedro launched another shot tonight. WOW! 2-4 with a HR and double. 2 Runs, 3 RBI. And his average is almost to .250 at .249. We know from past history, when Pedro gets going like this, he can carry a team for a week. We need it!

STANDINGS
Cutch 108
Alvarez 82.5
Burnett 81
GJones 71
Walker 69
McDonald 66.5
McKenry 47.5
Correia 40.5
Barmes 39
Tabata 37.5
Harrison 36.5
Karstens 35
Barajas 34.5
Presley 34.5
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 28.5
McGehee 27
Bedard 25.5
Hughes 26.25
Grilli 24.25
Watson 21.25
Cruz 17.50
Marte 17
Snider 15.5
Resop 13
Sanchez 11.5
Hague 10
Mercer 7.5
Sutton 7
WRod 4.5
Morton 4.5
Qualls 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
McPherson 2.0
Hernandez 1.5
Wilson 1.0
Locke 1.0
Takahashi 0.5
DCutch -2.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for GREAT Win 08/29
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Again, I disagree. Apparently our philosophy's differ! I'd give this to Wandy, hands down.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:27 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Again, I disagree. Apparently our philosophy's differ! I'd give this to Wandy, hands down.

I agree. The Pedro homers were huge but the awesome pitching performance strikes me as the number one star. Pitching is what wins divisions and pennants and championships.

Regardless, I'm ecstatic with the effort from all and while I think that this team is not necessarily playoff material (though they could be), I sure hope they make it interesting these next few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 am 

IA Pirate wrote:

I thought about it. Maybe if he had pitched more than 2/3 of the game, I would have given him the #1. But he only went six innings. We still needed help in 1/3 of the game from the pen to seal the win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

Like last night's game, I'm sure Wandy would have gone longer if the score was, say, 1-0. Both games were pretty much in hand so Hurdle wanted to save his rotation and give the bullpen some work.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Like last night's game, I'm sure Wandy would have gone longer if the score was, say, 1-0. Both games were pretty much in hand so Hurdle wanted to save his rotation and give the bullpen some work.

I understand that...but he didn't. I am not taking anything away from Wandy. GREAT GAME. I game him the "great game" points, the win points, and #2 star....

It could have been the other way around. But to me, comparing the two, Pedro's accomplishments led to the victory more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am 

And let's be clear: Wandy wasn't exactly dominant. Wandy struck out three and walked three in six innings; not indicative of a dominant start. Sure, he gave up no runs, but thanks in large part to the defense, particularly Clint Barmes and Andrew McCutchen. There were a lot of sharply batted balls that could have become singles if not for their very good fielding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 am 

Willton wrote:
And let's be clear: Wandy wasn't exactly dominant. Wandy struck out three and walked three in six innings; not indicative of a dominant start. Sure, he gave up no runs, but thanks in large part to the defense, particularly Clint Barmes and Andrew McCutchen. There were a lot of sharply batted balls that could have become singles if not for their very good fielding.

Better hope these types of performances continue. Wandy just doesn't strike out enough guys and because of that it looks like he doesn't trust his stuff enough to throw more pitches across the plate...thus the walks...