Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Paul Alexander arrested for DUI
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:46 pm 

I am in no way an apologist but you can be stone cold sober and fail a field sobriety test. I know of two incidents of this. :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I am in no way an apologist but you can be stone cold sober and fail a field sobriety test. I know of two incidents of this. :? :?

That is true....but the BAC doesn't lie!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:05 am 

True story....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:22 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
True story....

Here's another true story about Field Sobriety Tests.

I had a DUI trial one time where the defense attorney had me demonstrate the field sobriety tests I gave, which is very standard. I was just coming off a knee injury and had difficulty in court with the walk and turn. The defense attorney saw I was having trouble and made me do it like 7 or 8 times. Then wanted me to do it again. It was a young DA prosecuting her first case. After he asked me to demonstate it for like the 9th or 10th time, I finally said "Your Honor, I think the DA may want to object to this, as I have demonstrated it over and over." So the DA got the hint and finally objected, and the judge sustained it.

But then when I got back on the stand, the defense attorney really started hammering me about it. I explained that I had a knee injury, but at the time of the arrest I was fine, so I demonstrated fully what I wanted the defendant to do. So, he then asked if it was possible the defendant had a knee injury. I answered that he most definately did not. He asked how I knew, and I said that I asked him at the time of arrest, and that I even documented it right there on my Field Sobriety Notes, if he wanted to look or show the jury. Then he went on to hammer me even more...asking if I was intoxicated right now. I laughed and said "Obviously not". Then he asked how I could be so sure his the defendant was intoxicated, since I could not adequately perform the field sobriety tests either.. Well, I was starting to get a little pissed...and finally said "because I do not have a .20 BAC and did not state that I had consumed 12 beers like the defendant. I saw quite a few members of the jury laughing. It did not take them long to come back with a guilty verdict in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am 

DUI laws have not gotten out of hand. They are trying to eliminate innocent human beings who have lost thier lives or been hurt becasue of some jacka$$ who has gotten behind the wheel after drinking x amounts of alcohol.
Some people may not like this or that, but I dont know how you can argue that the laws of DUI are to strict.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am 

batterup wrote:
DUI laws have not gotten out of hand. They are trying to eliminate innocent human beings who have lost thier lives or been hurt becasue of some jacka$$ who has gotten behind the wheel after drinking x amounts of alcohol.
Some people may not like this or that, but I dont know how you can argue that the laws of DUI are to strict.

AMEN Brother.

DUI laws are fine. Now, we need stricter PUNISHMENT. Too many people are still driving with 5 or 6 DUI arrests.