Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyler Chatwood
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:45 am 

The Bucs need to sign this guy.

4.31 career ERA, while most of his starts have been at Coors Field.
Over the last 2 seasons, his ERA away from Coors has been 2.57.

I’m guessing other teams looking for a cheap starter will be all over him, driving up his price... but the Bucs have got to at least make a serious push for this guy.

Post subject: Re: Tyler Chatwood
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
The Bucs need to sign this guy.

4.31 career ERA, while most of his starts have been at Coors Field.
Over the last 2 seasons, his ERA away from Coors has been 2.57.

I’m guessing other teams looking for a cheap starter will be all over him, driving up his price... but the Bucs have got to at least make a serious push for this guy.

I would favor this move. Not because we need another starter, but because it would enable us to trade from our already significant depth at that position. And there are a lot of teams that are starving for starting pitching. They have the offensive pieces, just not the starters. The first to go would almost have to be Ivan Nova, to free up the money to get Chatwood. Some believe the Bucs have the payroll space to get him anyway, but I don't think they would spend the money unless they cut payroll somewhere else. You could trade Nova and Williams, get decent offensive players in return, and still have:

Cole
Taillon
Chatwood
Kuhl
Brault
Kingham
Holmes
Keller (sooner than you think).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

His stuff is nasty. However, improving the offense is more important.

I am operating under the belief that Kang is back, and at least somewhere close to where he was in 2016, and that Marte gives the team more than he did the 2nd half of 2017. Quite a bit more.

If the Pirates get reasonable offense from the C position, then the offense will be good enough. Bell improves, Kang is back, Marte contributes, Cutch is the good Cutch, Harrison and Mercer are who they are. If Cervelli gives the team better offense, then the hitting is going to be okay.

Not great, but good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I am operating under the belief that Kang is back, and at least somewhere close to where he was in 2016, and that Marte gives the team more than he did the 2nd half of 2017. Quite a bit more.

If the Pirates get reasonable offense from the C position, then the offense will be good enough. Bell improves, Kang is back, Marte contributes, Cutch is the good Cutch, Harrison and Mercer are who they are. If Cervelli gives the team better offense, then the hitting is going to be okay.

All true, but another source of internal improvement is if Polanco somehow figures it out and stays healthy. That guy could hit .285 with 27-28 home runs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:46 am 

doug frobel wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

All true, but another source of internal improvement is if Polanco somehow figures it out and stays healthy. That guy could hit .285 with 27-28 home runs.

I actually agree with this. I think it’s obvious that the offense accross the board underachieved. There is a lot of talent in that lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 am 

Generally IN.

Specifically OUT.

Reasoning: Chatwood would appear to be an improvement candidate; an undervalued asset. The Pirates could use quality, cost effective pitching. As others point out though, he doesn't improve the offense and the Pirates do have potential depth at the position (albeit of unknown quality).

Of course, Cole is surely gone sooner or later, so why not plan for the future and add a quality, cost effective guy NOW???

So, actually... screw it. IN.

Sign Chatwood and begin the dangling of Gerrit Cole.

EDIT: Point of clarification... I'm not saying Chatwood is nearly good as Cole, nor a worthy successor. His FIP/xFIP suggest he's maybe a #3 guy at best (barring improvement). I'm saying that he's a viable #3 guy for a team who will need one once Cole leaves. So adding him now buys the Pirates some leverage; if they wait to add a pitching after Cole leaves the new guy can ask for more knowing how desperate the Pirates are. (He doesn't really fit the Pirates mold 'stuff' wise though. So he's probably not a viable option.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm 

He is not a very well-kept secret. He has garnered a ton of interest around the majors. He is about to become wealthy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

NH and Clint have both come out now and said they are not going after any starting pitching. They are comfortable with the 5 that finished this year, and the replacement depth below them.

I would look for:
RP
INF with some power (E Nunez)
4th legit OF

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
NH and Clint have both come out now and said they are not going after any starting pitching. They are comfortable with the 5 that finished this year, and the replacement depth below them.

I would look for:
RP
INF with some power (E Nunez)
4th legit OF

ZM

I like your shopping list. It's realistic in terms of what this organization could conceivably do, and it meets all the needs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Need a catcher too. I don't think they'll get one, and I also don't think they'll win very much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Between Cervelli, Diaz and Stallings (for the inevitable injury), they should be OK. Especially if Cervelli finds a way to stay relatively healthy. I've always like Diaz, and he showed a bit last year.

I also like the young kind coming up as well Jin Je-Jang (sp?) from AA to AAA this year.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm 

Great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Great.

yeah. Didn't even raise an eyebrow when I saw this. It so figures. Theo goes balls out.