Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salvador Perez
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm 

An industry source said this week that the Royals are in full sell mode, and are stepping back for "a few years." Thus, they are said to be listening on many players, even including young ones like Whit Merrifield. It got me thinking if they would hang up on you if you inquired about Salvador Perez. He's owed $48.3 million through 2021, which isn't really that bad considering his ilk and the fact that he is only 27. The guy is a beast. For my money, he has taken over from Yadier Molina as the best catcher in the game.

I would be willing to offer any 3 prospects not named Mitch Keller or Shane Baz. Yes, even Meadows. Other arrangements can be made for the vacated outfield spot when McCutchen leaves.

Post subject: Re: Salvador Perez
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 am 

I'd be in. Catcher is a position to upgrade, and you couldn't do any better than Perez.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

Nice bat to plug into the lineup too around the 6 or 7 spot. It would give the line up length.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

I'd be preferable to one of their FA, such as Hos or Mouse, but... if Salvy could be had it would be a hell of a get.

If he were available I would imagine that every other team would have offers on the table too, though. At that point it's more a question of odds and the Bucs are likely mediocre, at best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Nice bat to plug into the lineup too around the 6 or 7 spot. It would give the line up length.

Salvy is a 20+ HR guy. If he's batting 6th/7th, the Bucs must also be landing Stanton from Miami?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:45 pm 

He batted fifth for KC.

Let's not make him out to be Babe Ruth. His career OPS is .011 better than Cervelli's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 pm 

The Pirates won't be interested unless they can trade Cervelli.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
His career OPS is .011 better than Cervelli's.

First off: sample size. Cervelli has been injured; Salvy has 813 games in 7 seasons to Cervelli's 562 in 10.

Next and perhaps more importantly, your point is where citing a single stat doesn't do it justice. Okay, Cervelli's OPS is only .011 less than Salvy... but Salvy has twice as many doubles, 2 less triples, and 91 more HR than Cervelli. Salvy's 162 game averages are also higher than Cervelli's across the board in those categories (to include R and H and except 3B). Cervelli's OPS is saved by his high BB and lower K rates.

Not even accounting for his defense and health, both of which are better, Salvy is completely superior to Cervelli in nearly every way and it's not even funny. Salvy is basically a young Russell Martin (who walks less).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
He batted fifth for KC.

Let's not make him out to be Babe Ruth. His career OPS is .011 better than Cervelli's.

Over the last two seasons Perez has been .052 better than Cervelli. Though I kind of think playing at PNC park would reduce that spread. Cervelli is a high OBP guy while Perez is high SLG guy. I don't think Perez would slug over .450+ playing half his games at PNC park. The better defense from Perez though would be worth a lot. Cervelli is getting abused in the running game.