Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next 26 games
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:22 pm 

After these next 7 games against the Brewers and Rockies, the Pirates will have 19 games in a row against the Padres, Giants, Tigers, Reds, and Blue Jays- all teams at least 8 games under .500. They have got to take care of business against these bottom-feeders, and not play down to their level. They should go 12-7 here at least.

Post subject: Re: Next 26 games
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:48 pm 

Taking at least 3 in the Brewers series is essential. If they fail to do that, I don't think they'll have much of a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm 

RTJR wrote:
Taking at least 3 in the Brewers series is essential. If they fail to do that, I don't think they'll have much of a shot.

Agreed. Then a 6-3 trip out West wouldn't hurt. They really need to go on a tear soon, and I'm just not sure they are capable of that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
RTJR wrote:

Agreed. Then a 6-3 trip out West wouldn't hurt. They really need to go on a tear soon, and I'm just not sure they are capable of that.

I have the same doubts.

I checked in on yesterday's Cards game and saw that we were down 4-0 at what, the fifth inning. Did anyone here harbor any hope at all that we would be able to overcome that deficit? I didn't. I didn't confirm the score until this morning.

So while it seems that we are still well within striking distance of a flawed Brewers team and a Cubs team that expected to be given a second series championship, I just don't see us going on an 18-8 run that would catapult us back into the conversation. Too many things have to go right, it seems, for us to get the W.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

On the bright side, they've won three straight series (two against divisional opponents); 7 of their last 10. Taking 3 from the Brewers series would it make it a 10-4 run and have them 5 games out. Also, while the Pirates are playing the Giants, the Brewers will be playing the Nationals. Could be a key stretch as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm 

As much as it pains me to write this, the Cubs remain the team to beat. The acquisition of Quintana was a great addition for them. MLB Trade Rumors has them interested in acquiring Sonny Gray as well.

It'll take a 17-9 run for them to get into semi-serious division title discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:53 pm 

RTJR wrote:

Losing the series would not bode well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 pm 

I think of it this way: Over the final 50 games, if the Brewers go 25-25 and the Bucs go 30-20, we make up 5 games, just by playing .600 ball. And we have 22 games to play before those final 50. They have to make up a couple games over that period.

What bothers me is, there are two other teams ahead of us, and everyone isn't going to tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

Brewers are starting a 17 game stretch in which they play 14 on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:06 pm 

If the Pirates can sweep the Brewers starting tonight at PNC, I might begin to get excited about this team again!