Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Luis Robert . . . Cuban defector . . . OF
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:35 pm 

Has been declared a free agent and can sign with a team beginning on May 20th.

One AL international scout referred to him as the "best player on the planet" and that "he wasn't exagerrating."

White Sox, Astros, Padres, Cardinals and Reds have apparently showed interest. No mention of Pirates. Does the Starling Marte development change the thought process?

Post subject: Re: Luis Robert . . . Cuban defector . . . OF
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Has been declared a free agent and can sign with a team beginning on May 20th.

One AL international scout referred to him as the "best player on the planet" and that "he wasn't exagerrating."

I thought Mike Trout is already under contract.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 pm 

As usual, the Pirates will pursue and they will get outbid by whatever larger market decides to write a blank check.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Pirates have a chance at landing this guy or that he is the solution to the team's problems.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
As usual, the Pirates will pursue and they will get outbid by whatever larger market decides to write a blank check.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Pirates have a chance at landing this guy or that he is the solution to the team's problems.

^This.

And I can hardly blame them. You can't bankrupt the team for 1 player.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

I have no idea what kind of money is being considered but the Pirates are saving $2.5 million on Marte's contract with the suspension.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:

And that's why the Pirates will NEVER win the WS again unless the financial climate of MLB changes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I have no idea what kind of money is being considered but the Pirates are saving $2.5 million on Marte's contract with the suspension.

Not even close.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:

Not deluding myself in the least. The Bucs aren't mentioned in anything that I've read that they are a team "in the mix." Just throwing it out there for discussion as to whether it may make some folks in the front office contemplate the circumstance . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm 

If he's really that good, why would the Pirates even be in the mix? You would assume he would go to one of the big money teams.

Now it can't hurt to ask. Maybe the guy idolizes Roberto Clemente or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm 

rellimie wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Not even close.

This.

The kid is 19. He's going to command a king's ransom.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Not deluding myself in the least. The Bucs aren't mentioned in anything that I've read that they are a team "in the mix." Just throwing it out there for discussion as to whether it may make some folks in the front office contemplate the circumstance . . .

I mean... this is like asking a starving person if they would like a steak dinner. The answer is 'OF COURSE'.

There are little doubts that the Pirates should desire a player of Robert's caliber, with or without Marte playing everyday, but the realistic chances of him being signed only approach double-digits if we get to count decimals.

The Pirates probably had a better chance of trading for Chris Sale than of signing this kid in an 'open market'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:32 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
If he's really that good, why would the Pirates even be in the mix? You would assume he would go to one of the big money teams.

Now it can't hurt to ask. Maybe the guy idolizes Roberto Clemente or something.

A lot of the "big money" teams have already blown their international signing budgets and can't sign him.
I've White Sox, A's, Reds, Cardinals, Padres and Nationals are the teams that are surmised to be the leading candidates.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:33 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

I mean... this is like asking a starving person if they would like a steak dinner. The answer is 'OF COURSE'.

There are little doubts that the Pirates should desire a player of Robert's caliber, with or without Marte playing everyday, but the realistic chances of him being signed only approach double-digits if we get to count decimals.

The Pirates probably had a better chance of trading for Chris Sale than of signing this kid in an 'open market'.

A lot of the "big money" players have blown their budgets. The market isn't as "open" as one might expect.
EDIT: Due to spending in excess of their international budgets in previous years, the Angels, Blue Jays, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Rays, Red Sox, Royals and Yankees are limited to spending a maximum of $300K on a single player. Robert will undoubtedly sign for a bigger number.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:

Desiring a player of Robert's potential when you anticipate an OF of Marte-Meadows-Polanco for numerous years is a lot different than desiring a player of Robert's potential if you OF doesn't include Marte.

The desire should be there in both situations but the willingness to go after a player like Robert should have increased - perhaps markedly - after it was learned that Marte was doping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:59 pm 

I was thinking in terms of the old days, when teams could spend as much as they wanted.

If there's a chance to get him they should go for it. And I would feel the same way regardless of the Marte situation.

I have no problem with Marte being on this team when his suspension is over. But you never have enough good players. Or at least the Pirates don't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I was thinking in terms of the old days, when teams could spend as much as they wanted.

Yeah, I though him being declared a FA made him free game.

If the pool is restricted then MAYBE the Bucs have a chance and they should absolutely make the highest possible offer.

And like Ralphie says, you can't have enough talent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm 

I still don't understand why the internationals aren't forced into the draft. That would be at least a partial equalizer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm 

So the question becomes how much the Pirates have to spend on IFA and in relation to other teams.

This article mentions the teams that No. 9 does, but is fast and loose with the details of how much they may be able to offer ('millions [in bonus pool money]').

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 pm 

The article I read mentioned a certain set of parameters if he signed by the end of May, and a different set after that. Or something like that.