Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike Schmidt Proposes Eletronic Ball and Strike Calls
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 am 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 23359.html

He used the term force field to describe it.

I'd rather have the computerized strike zone than some of these silly replays and blocking the plate rules.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Mike Schmidt Proposes Eletronic Ball and Strike Calls
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I would think this relatively easy to do. Put a body sensor in each players uniform at the chest and knees, and align that with sensors in the plate to create a 3D box unique to each player. Start calling all the strikes, and batters will have to become more aggressive and pace the game better.

Walks might be great for OBP, but not for entertainment and pacing value. Chicks dig the home run.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

Good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 pm 

Schmidt said:
Quote:
"I think they should have a force field over home plate and if the pitcher throws and the ball touches the force field a little bell goes off and it’s a strike. That would expand the strike zone to the point where the hitters would now have to swing the ball, which would shorten the game. "

How about we have the bell go off just as the pitch is thrown so the batter knows whether or not to swing? Heck Mike, that would speed up the game, for sure! How about just having the batter hit off a pitching machine? Or better yet... how about a tee??

Taking the human element out of the game takes the heart out of the game. I can't stand "replay" as it is now. I certainly would quit watching if Schmidt's idea came to fruition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm 

Normally, I'd agree with you. But umpiring is getting so bad, I would have to consider this possibility. I always thought lasers could be used on the corners of the plate. That way, umps would only have to worry about high and low.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:19 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Naw, not buying that because it wouldn't slow the game or take the human element as umps would still be there to manage the game.

It is the one area that I fully support the technology because it would improve the game.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:45 pm 

Pitch clock and computerized strike zone. Get it done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:00 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Schmidt said:
Quote:
"I think they should have a force field over home plate and if the pitcher throws and the ball touches the force field a little bell goes off and it’s a strike. That would expand the strike zone to the point where the hitters would now have to swing the ball, which would shorten the game. "

How about we have the bell go off just as the pitch is thrown so the batter knows whether or not to swing? Heck Mike, that would speed up the game, for sure! How about just having the batter hit off a pitching machine? Or better yet... how about a tee??

Taking the human element out of the game takes the heart out of the game. I can't stand "replay" as it is now. I certainly would quit watching if Schmidt's idea came to fruition.

To use an analogy no less extreme than yours, continuing to allow these bad calls could incite violence leading to multiple players being murdered on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:39 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
To use an analogy no less extreme than yours, continuing to allow these bad calls could incite violence leading to multiple players being murdered on the field.

But it's for the children, so ...

I think the implementation of the numerous pitch Fx features at games now has umpires calling a much better strike zone. They still give a wide strike zone on 3-0 pitches and a tiny strike zone on 0-2 pitches, however, on the theory that balls in play are more entertaining and get the game moving.

I think that such theory has some merit, by the way, but for heaven's sake, if the 0-2 pitch catches a significant part of the strike zone, call the guy out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:45 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I think that such theory has some merit, by the way, but for heaven's sake, if the 0-2 pitch catches a significant part of the strike zone, call the guy out.

Yeah, shame on him for not protecting the plate. Ring him up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:01 pm 

I agree with Bucfan, umpires are better now because of modern technology. They know how foolish they look when they blow calls.

And I think I like the idea of an electronic strike zone, because it would be more fair.

Especially on the first pitch of the at-bat, when the ump blows the call, it flips the advantage from the person who should have it to the person who shouldn't. That often affects the entire at-bat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:16 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Especially on the first pitch of the at-bat, when the ump blows the call, it flips the advantage from the person who should have it to the person who shouldn't. That often affects the entire at-bat.

Indeed. The two most outcome-determinative pitches in an at-bat are the following (in order):

1-1 pitch
0-0 pitch

The difference between 0-1 and 1-0 is substantial. The single-greatest difference is 1-1 ... if the batter is 1-2, his OBP and slugging go into the crapper. If he is 2-1, then his OBP and slugging increase massively as compared to 1-2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

I think Pedro would be a lot better if his 0-0 strike zone didn't look like Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:14 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I think Pedro would be a lot better if his 0-0 strike zone didn't look like Image

He gets screwed on the outside pitch more consistently than any other hitter I've seen. Including last night when he got rung up on 3-2.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:22 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
He gets screwed on the outside pitch more consistently than any other hitter I've seen. Including last night when he got rung up on 3-2.

I have never understood why Pedro has pitches 2" off the outside corner called a strike so regularly. I cannot figure it out.

And K-Rod ... good heavens, Pirates, the guy is nibbling with 89 mph fastballs. Pound him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:28 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

I have never understood why Pedro has pitches 2" off the outside corner called a strike so regularly. I cannot figure it out.

Yep. It's uncanny.