Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lambo demoted to AAA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:33 am 

Get ready for the wailing .....

Post subject: Re: Lambo demoted to AAA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 am 

I am a huge fan of Andrew Lambo, but I get this move. Probably the safe move at this point. Let him get his feet under him at AAA for a month, then bring him up when he's hot. They will probably be ready to DFA Ishikawa at that point, if not, great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:53 am 

11 sent down in total.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/pittsburgh-pirates-send-11-players-including-andrew-lambo-to-minor-leagues?ymd=20140325&content_id=70065358&vkey=news_pit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 am 

Could this mean something is in the works?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am 

There always could be something in the works. The Pirates almost never divulge information about potential trades they are working on. But it also could mean that Ishikawa has won the job.

Lambo didn't have to do a lot, but 4 singles in 40 at bats was clearly not enough.

I agree with the move and believe that Lambo will straighten himself out and take the job later this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 am 

I think today's moves also mean that Harrison has made the team, which I expected.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:49 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Could this mean something is in the works?

It just means that Ishikawa made the team. Jon Heyman and other pundits reported that he had a good chance of making it last week after he had a power surge in late spring (and subsequently, Lambo doing nothing).

As I've been saying all ST, I think when the alternative (Ishikawa) is essentially last year's Garrett Jones against RHP but without the power, you let Lambo's trial begin a week form now. I don't know that Ishikawa will necessarily even hit RHP better than Gaby will, actually, and that Gaby will still receive a ton of RHP ABs anyway. Not that I think it's really that big of a deal, though, or that Ishikawa as a platoon placeholder is the most terrible option out there, the same way that Jones wasn't last year. But I'm no means even slightly optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:23 pm 

Some of the other guys sent down have caught my attention as well. I think we will see them at some point in the season. Zack Thornton, Dan Schlereth, Chris Dickerson, and Jaff Decker could all help the big club. Not sure about Jared Hughes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:54 pm 

They should have addressed first base....some how, some way. Since they didn't, why not give Lambo a chance as opposed to a retread...and a poor retread at that. This offseason continues to be disappointing...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:57 pm 

Neal's comments on the demotion (courtesy of Pirates Prospects):

“Get back to being the guy that we believe he’s going to be,” Huntington said on Lambo. “Hit fastballs to all parts of the field. Stay through off-speed pitches. And get back to the confident hitter that does damage in the box. Sometimes guys try to do too much. It seems like that certainly was the case with Andrew this Spring. We still believe in him. But to believe as of March 31st the switch is going to flip, and guys can all of a sudden change some things on day one, we felt the best way to get Andrew back on track was to go ahead and send him out.” (emphasis added)

Say what you want about whether Spring Training means anything, I find the bold, italicized portion of the quote to be eminently reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 pm 

I'm on board with Ishikawa being a placeholder until Lambo finds his swing again.

Who knows, maybe his bat will stay hot and provide some power until Lambo figures it out?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 pm 

Ishikawa has a .900 OPS in the World Series...Maybe Neil is thinking ahead.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Some of the other guys sent down have caught my attention as well. I think we will see them at some point in the season. Zack Thornton, Dan Schlereth, Chris Dickerson, and Jaff Decker could all help the big club. Not sure about Jared Hughes.

Adam Wilk also looked real good the time I saw him on TV. Lefty with medium velocity but good stuff and good control. Gave up only 1 run in 10 innings this spring.

Hughes just can't seem to find the magic any more. His stuff is borderline so his control has to be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 pm 

If Ishikawa is on the 25 man roster, they need to make a spot for him on the 40. Who do you drop? Or could you get away with putting Stewart on the 60 day DL and retroactive it to mid March when he got hurt so his spot is available?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm 

Worst case scenario, Wandy can play first base on the games that he's not pitching. He throws left handed and he hit a 2 run home run today.

P.S I probably should have been more serious on my first ever post but this is pretty much me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Adam Wilk also looked real good the time I saw him on TV. Lefty with medium velocity but good stuff and good control. Gave up only 1 run in 10 innings this spring.

Hughes just can't seem to find the magic any more. His stuff is borderline so his control has to be perfect.

Yeah, failed to mention him. He and Schlereth provide good depth if we need another lefty out of the bullpen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
If Ishikawa is on the 25 man roster, they need to make a spot for him on the 40. Who do you drop? Or could you get away with putting Stewart on the 60 day DL and retroactive it to mid March when he got hurt so his spot is available?

There is some noise suggesting that Andy Oliver will be slipped through waivers. He'd probably make it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:33 pm 

Penguins23 wrote:
Worst case scenario, Wandy can play first base on the games that he's not pitching. He throws left handed and he hit a 2 run home run today.

P.S I probably should have been more serious on my first ever post but this is pretty much me. :lol:

Good first post.

Checked in on the game ... 17-3 Buccos. Toronto is clearly going to have to go for the onside kick if they score.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:34 pm 

Andy Oliver is out of options and will not make the team so that's one roster spot. Pimentel, Gomez, Mazzaro, and Morris are also all out of options and are fighting for 3 spots so there is another.

By the way, Oliver was removed today after 1/3 of an inning so you wonder if there was an injury. And we are up 17-3 on Toronto today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:42 pm 

It seemed to me to be a LOOGY appearance. Honestly, I don't know why he is on the 40-man roster. If he could just learn to throw strikes, he could be a LOOGY kind of guy, but as it is, he walks at least one an inning.