Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liriano Encouraged Volquez To Join Pirates
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:28 pm 

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pira ... 1402150025

It would be nice to see the coaching staff help him figure it out and to keep Liriano pitching the same as he did last season.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Liriano Encouraged Volquez To Join Pirates
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:46 pm 

It seems his head flies out with the rest of him following. They think he needs to keep his head going more towards the plate which will help his plant foot stay in line….. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It seems his head flies out with the rest of him following. They think he needs to keep his head going more towards the plate which will help his plant foot stay in line….. 8-) 8-)

These mechanical details makes perfect sense to me but my question is:

1.) Are the Pirates and the coaching staff the only team aware of these mechanical details...and if not (which I have to believe)...why hasn't this been addressed by other teams and coaches with Volquez before he became a Pirate???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:22 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
why hasn't this been addressed by other teams and coaches with Volquez before he became a Pirate???

It has, but those teams weren't successful in their attempts. The coaching staff can address and/or tinker with mechanics as much as they can but it's ultimately up to the pitcher to throw the pitches. Searage and the Pirates meanwhile have a history of successful SP reclamation projects so to them it was worth a shot, especially when Volquez matches that xFIP > ERA formula (though to a lesser extent) once they found out Burnett likely wasn't returning.

By the way, will the adamant detractors convinced this signing is nothing more than J. Sanchez pt. II now put some of the blame on Liriano as opposed to Huntington? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure every team that Volquez has pitched for was aware of his mechanical issues. For one reason or another they weren't able to correct him. Perhaps the Pirates staff being better teachers, can get to him. I think people forget though that the biggest successes, Burnett and Liriano, had non throwing arm injuries that gave them an extra month in extended Spring Training to work with Jim Benedict. Morton put in a lot of extra work with Benedict too. Maybe a 6 week long spring training isn't enough time to fix guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:25 pm 

I sure hope Volquez, who put up the worst ERA and WHIP last year that the league has seen in the past three seasons, can turn it around. If so, the Pirates should offer Ray Searage a lifetime contract at $5 million/year...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:30 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I sure hope Volquez, who put up the worst ERA and WHIP last year that the league has seen in the past three seasons, can turn it around.

Some of his peripherals look decent. His 5.71 ERA was due in significant part to 2 issues that will likely normalize - a .325 BABIP and a very low 64.5% strand rate.

The 3rd big contributor was his control. That is something the coaches are going to address and the comments about "attacking" hitters relate directly to this approach.

If Volquez can throw strike 1 more consistently, and his BABIP and strand rate normalize, he will be a good number 5. He is unlikely to post A.J. numbers of 208 K's and a FIP of 2.92, but he does not need to do that. He needs to provide 8 K's per 9 IP, a BABIP of .300, and a strand rate of 75%. If he does that - and the stats show he certainly can - and lowers the BB rate, he will post a 3.80 FIP and an ERA south of 4.00.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:37 pm 

Update: Volquez had the 3rd worst strand rate of any pitcher in MLB with at least 120 IP, and the 12th highest BABIP. He was the only pitcher to be among the 12 worst in baseball in both categories.

Advanced statistical analysis shows that BABIP and strand rates vary from year-to-year due to factors having nothing to do with the pitcher. Defensive efficiency and simple luck play a huge role.

The Pirates rely on advanced statistical data and give little weight to traditional statistics. I am very intrigued by Volquez for 2014 based upon these data.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:55 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The Pirates rely on advanced statistical data and give little weight to traditional statistics. I am very intrigued by Volquez for 2014 based upon these data.

I hear ya. And thanks for the info.

Intrigued is just not where I want to be with our starting pitching.